Poll
Question: Who gets your vote?  (Voting closed: Friday, March 1, 2024, 21:40:06)
Jack Bycroft - 0 (0%)
Udoka Godwin-Malife (sub 67) - 4 (6.6%)
Frazer Blake-Tracy - 0 (0%)
Conor McCarthy - 1 (1.6%)
Harrison Minturn (sub 45) - 0 (0%)
Dawson Devoy - 1 (1.6%)
Ricky Aguiar (sub 67) - 0 (0%)
Sean McGurk (sub 67) - 26 (42.6%)
Paul Glatzel - 0 (0%)
Charlie Austin (sub 58) - 0 (0%)
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy - 29 (47.5%)
Williams Kokolo (on 45) - 0 (0%)
Aaron Drinan (on 58) - 0 (0%)
Tom Brewitt (on 67) - 0 (0%)
Zach Elbouzedi (on 67) - 0 (0%)
Jake Cain (on 67) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 61

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Tranmere MoM Thread  (Read 1645 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 11:56:55 »

I got the impression we intentionally ignored midfield and had two bodies in there. The space was either behind (RHM) or the half space between their defence and midfield (Glatzel, McGurk or Austin) and they moved the ball on quickly.
It worked so well I have to assume it was a game plan as opposed to just lady luck

you'd hope it was a game plan! Some of the ball movement between the thirds was pretty good last night.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 12:00:07 »

I got the impression we intentionally ignored midfield and had two bodies in there. The space was either behind (RHM) or the half space between their defence and midfield (Glatzel, McGurk or Austin) and they moved the ball on quickly.
It worked so well I have to assume it was a game plan as opposed to just lady luck

It was definitely tweaked from previous games and more extreme, but a lot of Gavball has used the wide forwards as the main outlets rather than the central midfielders. I can see it working in L2, but we have totally the wrong kind of midfielders for it right now - if we're going to do that, play two destroyer type midfielders who can just break up opposition play. There really is no point having a Devoy/McEachran/Cain/Aguiar type passing midfielder in this style of play - or certainly not two of them!

Like just from the players we have had this season, you could see a team that was:

Bycroft
Kokolo FBT McCarthy UGM
         Khan Kinsella
RHM Glatzel Austin McGurk

I can see how that works, it's very much attacking down the wings but that's fine - that's all Paul Sturrock ever did and he did okay.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 12:10:01 by Nemo » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 12:47:09 »

I compared Gav's approach to Flitcrofts, it's very similar but we probably have slightly better players up top right now, but too many ball players elsewhere.  Flitcroft used been there and done it L2 plodders to fill out the other positions.  With the slightly better ball players it's easier on the eye, and Flitcroft showed you can get results with limited talent playing that way.  I'd never want a Flitcroft style team ever again, but a better version of it could probably work.  In fact, Wellens was similar in that it was a fairly direct style of play, just not long ball.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 12:59:58 »

I'll suffer any style if we go up.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 14:31:16 »

I was worried before kick off that midfield would be underpowered / exposed without either Khan or McEachran to fill the defensive part of the role. Hence I thought Devoy’s performance in a different role from what we’ve seen previously was influential in the game - less eye catching than McGurk but important nevertheless. I also like the way Glatzel uses the ball / moves it on quickly. RHM took his goals well.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 14:41:01 »

I was worried before kick off that midfield would be underpowered / exposed without either Khan or McEachran to fill the defensive part of the role. Hence I thought Devoy’s performance in a different role from what we’ve seen previously was influential in the game - less eye catching than McGurk but important nevertheless. I also like the way Glatzel uses the ball / moves it on quickly. RHM took his goals well.
Agreed

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 14:57:24 »

I sent "What fresh hell is that midfield?!" to a groupchat before kickoff Cheesy

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 15:10:24 »

Tbf, it did look piss weak. But if we are going to bypass it I suppose having a bit of beef doesn’t really matter. Still need a real nasty bastard in there, though.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 15:43:26 »

Tbf, it did look piss weak. But if we are going to bypass it I suppose having a bit of beef doesn’t really matter. Still need a real nasty bastard in there, though.

Too Cool

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: