Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer 24- Who are you keeping  (Read 4126 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 14:29:46 »

Yet most want Brewitt gone. Don't get that especially as everyone thinks we've "no chance" of signing McCarthy

I just think signing McCarthy + Brewitts sub appearance at Newport just showed how erratic Brewitt is when defending.

That erraticness makes all his defending re-active defending rather than pro-active. It means his last second tackles and blocks are good but he should be doing a better job of not letting it get that far in the first place.

I always gave him the benefit of the doubt in our back 3 because the whole set up of that defence isolated Brewitt and was never set up to be solid defensively.

At Newport thought we looked more solid than we had all season till he came on.

Sure, that’s one game but it felt like a real eye opener for me…

I’d rather see him played at DM than CB in truth. Like I don’t see a McCarthy making Brewitt a better defender the same way a Greer made Cuthbert a better defender or a Adi Williams made Ifil a better defender…
adje

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 14:52:08 »

I just think signing McCarthy + Brewitts sub appearance at Newport just showed how erratic Brewitt is when defending.

That erraticness makes all his defending re-active defending rather than pro-active. It means his last second tackles and blocks are good but he should be doing a better job of not letting it get that far in the first place.

I always gave him the benefit of the doubt in our back 3 because the whole set up of that defence isolated Brewitt and was never set up to be solid defensively.

I’d rather see him played at DM than CB in truth. Like I don’t see a McCarthy making Brewitt a better defender the same way a Greer made Cuthbert a better defender or a Adi Williams made Ifil a better defender…
Fair enough but to be honest it was a bit of a ridiculous time to bring on a CH just after we'd conceded. Bit of a panic sub? I know KOko had just been booked but I don't think he was injured. Brewitt for me has not generally let us down

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 14:55:21 »

I agree with all of that right till the last part, Brewitt came on at Gills in a DMC position and looked totally lost for 12 mins, all over the place.

I appreciate Brewitt had to play when we had no CB defensive options but now we have McCarthy and Johnson for me his time has passed and he needs to move on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 15:26:46 »

I've said it before about Brewitt, he's a 1 v 1 player - loves getting involved up close and personal.  he does not have the right skillset to defend for a game.  His one game in midfield showed how he could be become and even bigger liability there, chasing around like a puppy.

The problem with reviewing our squad is we have a plethora of players who you'd keep around to flesh out the squad, if we had a first eleven worthy of promotion.  Therefore, Many of them are players you'd want competing for one spot, and they are quite similar.  Take Cain, McEachran and Devoy - one of them is worth keeping.  I don't rate Devoy but the sample size is small - however, regardless, you don't need three of that player.  You need a much better player to be first choice, then one of them to be a rotation option and cover suspensions and injuries. 

Our squad has no sense of planning about it.  There are loads I'd be OK with staying, with the right squad make-up and the same players I'd be happy to lose, assuming the right squad make-up!
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 17:13:17 »

Is our defence that shit today? Kokolo-FBT-McCarthy-UGM doesn't seem that bad, it's just getting no cover at all from midfield.
Depend what we want from the season i suppose. That back 4 for me personally is nowhere near good enough for a top 7 finish
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 17:20:43 »

We have one of the worst defences in the entire football league and people are wanting to keep most of them? Nah.
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 17:22:23 »

That is the way i would say it. If i thought it was realistic i would get rid of all of them bar 2 and those 2 i wouldn't be confident of starting every week
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 17:32:17 »

It’s not the defenders - it’s the complete lack of defensive midfield cover.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 20:28:59 »

* IMG_0320.jpeg (288.87 KB, 1088x1310 - viewed 192 times.)
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 22:31:05 »

I agree. FBT is a very decent centre half for this level.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, February 16, 2024, 09:14:06 »

I had heard a few rumours that he wasn't particularly happy at times this season. I think he's played really well recently so if we can get him tied down onto an extended contract that would be a big statement.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, February 16, 2024, 10:00:35 »

FBT is as good as it gets at this level. Good on the ball, left footed. Dominant in the air.

Yeah he looks exposed in transitions but that's usually because of our lack of defensive structure throughout the team.

He is the absolute least of our problems. I hope he signs.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, February 16, 2024, 10:17:04 »

Yep, FBT is a must keep.

He has said publicly he turned down more money to sign here when he did last season. I hope his enthusiasm for the club is unchanged!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #43 on: Friday, February 16, 2024, 10:24:04 »

Yep, FBT is a must keep.

He has said publicly he turned down more money to sign here when he did last season. I hope his enthusiasm for the club is unchanged!
This.

But I fear he has been let down by the club and may look to pastures new in the Summer, huge loss IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, February 16, 2024, 12:22:34 »

Not sure I see FBT in the same light. He’s fine, but eminently replaceable

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: