Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gills v STFC Matchday Thread  (Read 13980 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #345 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 12:45:43 »

Not sure i agree Adje, we had just as exciting games under Flynn and it was when the players were all injured etc the shit hit the fan and the downward spiral continued. It's just my opinion of course but the points dropped the last 3 games hi would say everyone is down to some awful game management from the manager.
I have to admit I think Gavs subs have cost us goals so far, the tactics seem to work in general but after the subs we always seem weaker and Newport, Salford and Gills games we have conceded not too long after a change of team.

I have a feeling his subs are to get game time for more players rather than to affect the actual outcome of a game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 12:47:07 »

https://theathletic.com/football/game/plays/gillingham-vs-swindon-town/pakpswevZw4Aw717/

The Athletic have it 2.45 v 0.95. I like the idea of XG but the different models vary so wildly it's hard to take much from it!
I agree it's hit and miss, especially at this level. Can't work out how The Athletic has concluded 0.95 xG for us though. Two goals, two off the line and a last ditcher.

I wonder if the methodology changes lower down so an equal chance in L2 is worth less xG than one in the Prem.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 12:47:58 »

View of Harry’s goal

https://twitter.com/JackCoops99/status/1757738247168328163/video/1
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 12:56:51 »

BBC has their attendance as just 2,260, that has to be wrong surely, it looked about 6k to me.

I’ve seen it quoted as 6,096 which seems more likely to be honest
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 13:00:25 »

I’ve seen it quoted as 6,096 which seems more likely to be honest
Cheers Posh that sounds far more like what I saw with my own eyes.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 13:07:43 »

Very well taken McGurk goal and happy to see McKirdy score. Gillingham are a well drilled team so we did well to create the chances we did do, score that 2nd before half time and we probably go on to spank them. Questionable subs again from Gunning, not sure they’ve been what they should the past few games. Would like to see Johnson get some consistent minutes between now and end of the season.

Last night was the sort of performance where there’s enough green shoots that if this was the start of the season you’d look at it and say “we might be able to do something here when everyone’s up to speed and a couple of fine tuning additions in January”. Instead though you realise it’s February and we’re 17th.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 13:51:00 »

That felt like a game we should have won and could have lost. I suspect the conditions had an impact - I had away comms on iFollow and Fjortoft mention the rain and wind a couple of times.
Stunning save by Bycroft at the end to keep the point, but again no game management after getting the equaliser.
I can see why some are criticising the substitutions, but Gunning has said several times in pre and post match interviews that a number of the squad aren’t yet ready to play 90 mins (let alone Saturday/Tuesday/ Saturday) so some rotation and in game changes are inevitable. We were all moaning before Christmas about lack of depth and hence being unable to change players when they were clearly knackered, (for this reason I doubt Gunning would have got many more points than Flynn in that period) and we are now grumbling that he is making changes. We have a number of players who have had serious injuries (Glatzel the obvious one) and I’d prefer it if we took a slightly slower approach while getting them match hardened to avoid what happened with Devine at Orient last season (with the benefit of hindsight he should have been subbed at half time there).
adje

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 14:05:40 »

Not sure i agree Adje, we had just as exciting games under Flynn and it was when the players were all injured etc the shit hit the fan and the downward spiral continued. It's just my opinion of course but the points dropped the last 3 games hi would say everyone is down to some awful game management from the manager.

Yes we did but I get a very strong feeling that the players give more than they did under Flynn and that's a big factor for me. Some of his subs have been strange but I think when you have quality on the bench you're more likely to do that

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 18:16:41 »

Another view of McGurk’s goal

https://twitter.com/Official_STFC/status/1757776719937667214/video/1
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 18:18:35 »

Easy to forget because of what came after but the first ten games under Flynn were absolute dynamite. Gav is only on game 5, let's see how he does over the remainder of the season before drawing too many strong conclusions I think.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 19:13:27 »

Hi @BobsOrange

Lovely write up mate, the only thing I saw differently {and possibly with bias eyes} was that I thought Glatzel was fouled by the Gills player and should have got a penalty.

He didn't ''go down' or as some lovely Premier League players like to quote ''...I felt contact, so I went down...'' but still felt he was impeded and denied a goalscoring opportunity.

It was refreshing though that this PL Dev player, seemingly hasn't picked up bad habits or culturally nurtured habits of his peers. What Glatzel did do - that we haven't seen much of, was him matching Jonny Williams in the mild to average shithousery.

Glatzel seemingly developing quite well and as mentioned earlier, McGurk seems like an even better prospect. I'd have kept him on for 80mins as he didn't seem knackered.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 19:29:02 »

Still can't understand Flynn and his inabilities to get a suitable CB, DM and an attacking player.
Yes the first 10 games looked really good but most people could see what was going to happen and it did... running on empty and basically stopped.
Swindon just needed a couple of players from his previous team Newport. The lad that went to Crewe would have been a good bet in defence.
But no.... then when he is sacked and the season has basically finished for a possible shot for promotion we sign some excellent prospects

Just really confused by the whole situation.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 23:28:00 »

Quote from: Frigby Daser
McCarthy and FBT are a great pair to have at this level. They should focus every effort on getting those two together next year, with a proper central midfield combination in front of them. A boring type, who closes down, blocks passing channels and knows how to shield a defence.

agreed.

can't see a hope in hell of keeping McCarthy mind
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 10:47:35 »

Havent read back.

I was in with the Pikeys (all over 50 fellas) with son in law.

They were a bit taken aback on how good the Town were.

Very keen on McGurk and were glad to see him get subbed off.

Kept saying they should of been out of the game and then amazed that they were leading and at the death believed that Town deserved a point at the very least.

I kept my head down!

We did deserve a point.

Both goals taken well, the ball into Gratzel ref rounding the keeper and the Centre back getting injured was not a good one, shame as a yard the other way and its a defo goal.
Great to see McKirdy notch, seemed to mean a lot to him.

Hutton wasnt that great but the fucker did clear one off the line.

Green shoots for next season very much on display.

Clems Army!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Thursday, February 15, 2024, 10:54:23 »

264 STFC at Gills

A few more as i wasnt counted and a few above me jumped about when ,McKirdy scored...i would imagine a few would be put off with the forecast and the thought of the uncovered end. Did fans know they would be covered before they rocked up!?

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: