Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Protest  (Read 37066 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 07:10:29 »

I’d also go one further (back) and say if we hadn’t of sold Gordon Greer none of this would have ever happened.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 07:19:18 »

Couldn’t find my old orange hat but to be fair it’s been a long time! Ordered one off eBay for £2.99 inc. p+p if anyone interested in doing the same. Link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272402175310?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gUo1gHaNTui&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4hRwgX88SQC&var=573152820198&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 09:35:49 »

I’d also go one further (back) and say if we hadn’t of sold Gordon Greer none of this would have ever happened.

Inclined to agree here
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 10:05:21 »

It did.

I don’t know Black or his finances or the clubs finances at the time but I still don’t understand why you pull the plug in February when the team are sat top of the league on their way to Championship for the first time in 10+ years.

I just think the value of ‘10+ years in the bottom two divisions Swindon Town’ has significant less sale value compared to ‘Paolo Di Canio’s Swindon Town who have just won back to back promotions & have the most momentum in the entire football league’

The outlay for those extra 4/5 months probably would have been recouped by being in the Championship.
You make a very good point with which I agree.

In Black's favour, he was wealthy even if he was disinterested.  He may have been STFC's wealthiest ever owner in terms of liquidity.  STFC was threatened with administration and a points deduction in L2 when he took over.  He left us in L1 and was basically honorable in his funding of STFC losses.  He claims never to have bought into Wray's "3 year plan".  I imagine the combination of Wray and PDC was entrenching him in a level of financial commitment well beyond his "interest".  Unlike Jed or Clem for instance, Black never showboated at the CG.

Against Black was the suddenness of his withdrawal.  Having in his own words agreed to stay on another season, by early October he had sacked Wray and appointed Patey whose sole objective was to sell the club.  That may be "business" but STFC fans were once again the blameless victims.  Ritchie was sold to Bournemouth, by now a club headed in the opposite direction and PDC walked out leaving us to go top of L1 in the very next game in mid Feb.  In his hasty sale to Jed, Black left STFC in the lurch and the rest is history.

Remember it wasn't looking good when Black arrived.  But the judge of any owner/chairman is how he leaves STFC, not how he arrives or even does whilst at the helm.

For anyone wanting a "refresher" of Black's position, see the Adver from Feb 2013 (just after STFC went "top"):

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10245156.swindon-town-black-reveals-all-on-twitter/
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 10:10:42 by RedRag » Logged
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 10:09:22 »

Black was all about he felt he had been lied to. He said himself that Wray etc were telling him the wrong information and that we were not spending beyond our means. When the embargo went public he lost his shit and bolted out of principle
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 10:19:50 »

bolted out of principle

abandoning his duty of care and selling to Jed.
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 10:20:46 »

I suppose he would argue the people he trusted did that
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 10:27:08 »

He may well do, but he set the deadlines - maybe Jed was the only pony in town
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 11:33:14 »

In Black's favour, he was wealthy even if he was disinterested.  He may have been STFC's wealthiest ever owner in terms of liquidity.

This guy was on the consortium and was majorly rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Arbib

But he was a minor shareholder and even less interested than Black.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 12:52:24 »

Couldn’t find my old orange hat but to be fair it’s been a long time! Ordered one off eBay for £2.99 inc. p+p if anyone interested in doing the same. Link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272402175310?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gUo1gHaNTui&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4hRwgX88SQC&var=573152820198&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just bought mine.
joeydubya

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 14:07:44 »

Wondered where all those hats came from on Vinted  Cheesy
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 17:01:53 »

Just bought mine.

There’s some random clothing company wondering why all of a sudden they are getting orange hat sales to the Swindon area 😂
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 22:36:16 »

You make a very good point with which I agree.

In Black's favour, he was wealthy even if he was disinterested.  He may have been STFC's wealthiest ever owner in terms of liquidity.  STFC was threatened with administration and a points deduction in L2 when he took over.  He left us in L1 and was basically honorable in his funding of STFC losses.  He claims never to have bought into Wray's "3 year plan".  I imagine the combination of Wray and PDC was entrenching him in a level of financial commitment well beyond his "interest".  Unlike Jed or Clem for instance, Black never showboated at the CG.

Against Black was the suddenness of his withdrawal.  Having in his own words agreed to stay on another season, by early October he had sacked Wray and appointed Patey whose sole objective was to sell the club.  That may be "business" but STFC fans were once again the blameless victims.  Ritchie was sold to Bournemouth, by now a club headed in the opposite direction and PDC walked out leaving us to go top of L1 in the very next game in mid Feb.  In his hasty sale to Jed, Black left STFC in the lurch and the rest is history.

Remember it wasn't looking good when Black arrived.  But the judge of any owner/chairman is how he leaves STFC, not how he arrives or even does whilst at the helm.

For anyone wanting a "refresher" of Black's position, see the Adver from Feb 2013 (just after STFC went "top"):

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10245156.swindon-town-black-reveals-all-on-twitter/

Fascinating to read this back again, thanks for sharing.

What I don’t understand is with all the undisputed potential of the club, location, catchment area for fans etc - why hasn’t the club been bought by bona fide business people with local knowledge? Or does professional football at this level just not work financially without massive investment, a different agenda (Saudi style sportwashing) or a reasonable expectation of making huge losses?

STFC is a basket case but if you step back for a moment and consider the ongoing pantomime of Jed, Power, Clem etc it’s beyond ridiculous. Who are the alternatives? Why doesn’t anyone seize the moment and finally realise the dream? Or am I just naive to even ask the question?
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 22:55:47 »

Amazing to think that a divot on the Wembley pitch has played a part in where we are now.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, January 10, 2024, 00:02:31 »

.... who fucked with that plane in 2006 as well, could it have been Britain's most wanted?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: