Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Wrecsam matchday thread  (Read 19216 times)
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2023, 22:06:54 »

I do think it’s weird RHM can be out indefinitely with an unspecified knock to his knee. Seemingly only coming back when he says he’s feeling ok. Surely the doctors, physios etc can figure it out? I noticed Allison Willetts back on the bench today.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2023, 23:02:17 »

Not sure why time wasted on post match interviews when he could just repeat the same one used the last 3 months
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2023, 23:13:31 »

I didn’t listen on Wiltshire Radio, but the link above sounds just like the last 3-4 I’ve transcribed.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 07:12:26 »

Heard somebody say in the DRS at half time that RHM is refusing to play with Kokolo (presumably because of the rape allegations).
Whether there is any truth in that, who knows?

RHM has played 14 league games this season.
I’d suggest it’s much more likely 15 is the trigger point for an automatic one year extension (…and / or a pay rise?) that either he and / or the club don’t want…
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:08:23 »

Just got back from our day/night stay in the joyous delights of Swindon.

1st game of the season for me in person, took my eldest son who hasnt been to a Town game in 20+ years and I cant beleive how quiet our fans were for there being nearly 11,000 of them, the TE hardly raised a song until the last 5 mins when we put the pressure on them.

My thoughts.

1st half fairly poor but more effort, 2nd not as half poor but didnt come alive until the sending off then we put more effort in but lacked quality in or around the box.

Shade ran their fullback ragged all game, Hutton barely took his man on, Ward made 2 great saves, nice to see Brewitt back with heavy strapping on his knee, he played well, Khan put loads of effort in but was woeful in front of goal and some of his passing, Kemp not great, Young the same.

Austin ran around a lot and won some headers, mostly in defence, otherwise average. Kinsella did well but is not as strong as a ball winner as we need, Wrexham out muscling him a bit and Kokolo had a fair decent game as did Minturn, other than for the goal.

McEachran runs around and looks so lightweight, his early promise under Morris is fading away. Cain looked ok when he came on but didnt contribute much.

Wrexham are a bang average side that have a couple of decent players and a lot of padding, but they are massive and strong and know how to waste time when they are leading, we never really looked like scoring despite the extra man advantage and the amount of chances we created late on.

McClean is a cunt and he knows it and revels in that but ran the show in midfield for them, if only we could afford a player on his alleged £10k+ per week.

For me it was a better performance than in recentl weeks, certainly for effort, but the quality and tackling strength just isnt there.

Massive hype around the sheepshaggers but they barely sung all game and had far less fans that I was expecting listening to their forum, pretty poor turnout by them considering.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:12:39 »

Havent read back.

Another frustrating day at the CG.

Tourists boosted the gate no doubt.

Did we have a tactic that we were playing to? I couldnt fathom out any of sort of pattern!

The goal we conceded hurt....you shouldnt get turned like that playing Chippenham Sunday League!

Conceded then huffed and puffed.

We woke up a bit at the end and then fluffed the chances we made....hitting the bar meant it wasnt going to go in....like Gills all over again.
Worrying that we suddenly cant seem to score.

Ward deserves alot of credit, they would of been out of sight without his saves, not bad for a Keeper that has'nt played very much.

Anyway...Friday night has just got bigger....there wont be any Tourists there for sure, just alot of hardcore with huge expectations.

Clems Army!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:24:16 »

The team is mediocre but made to look worse by a lack of tactics or any sort of plan - and that lays with Flynn.

We need to play more like his Newport teams. I still can’t get my head around on how he has gone from that to the powder puff stuff we’re seeing now.

We’ve seen it often enough this season. You don’t need fancy Dans, you need some muscle and strength and stamina. I’m not a huge fan of Hutton but he chucks loads of crosses in which, to me, cry out for a big lump to get on the end of - with, maybe, a smaller player playing off him. Basic stuff, but in L2 it works. Evolve as you progress.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:28:03 »

Havent read back.

Another frustrating day at the CG.

Tourists boosted the gate no doubt.

Did we have a tactic that we were playing to? I couldnt fathom out any of sort of pattern!

The goal we conceded hurt....you shouldnt get turned like that playing Chippenham Sunday League!

Conceded then huffed and puffed.

We woke up a bit at the end and then fluffed the chances we made....hitting the bar meant it wasnt going to go in....like Gills all over again.
Worrying that we suddenly cant seem to score.

Ward deserves alot of credit, they would of been out of sight without his saves, not bad for a Keeper that has'nt played very much.

Anyway...Friday night has just got bigger....there wont be any Tourists there for sure, just alot of hardcore with huge expectations.

Another one I’ll miss, this time due to a prior engagement being rearranged, cest La vie.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:31:19 »

An established practice in sport is that when it isn’t going well for you, strip it back to the basics and make yourself hard to beat.

Build confidence from there and the rest will come.

The trouble is, a lot of the roll neck wankers in management these days think that that is beneath them. “Pep wouldn’t compromise his principles” etc.

It’s a farce. I imagined Flynn would be pragmatic. He’s been anything but. If Brewitt was fit to play yesterday, start him. He’s one of the few players who would seemingly run through a brick wall for the team. Hardly anyone else has a defensive bone in their body.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:36:57 »

I just hope that if any CBs come in it isn’t at the expense of Minturn. Looks as if he has great potential.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:38:29 »

The team is mediocre but made to look worse by a lack of tactics or any sort of plan - and that lays with Flynn.

We need to play more like his Newport teams. I still can’t get my head around on how he has gone from that to the powder puff stuff we’re seeing now.

We’ve seen it often enough this season. You don’t need fancy Dans, you need some muscle and strength and stamina. I’m not a huge fan of Hutton but he chucks loads of crosses in which, to me, cry out for a big lump to get on the end of - with, maybe, a smaller player playing off him. Basic stuff, but in L2 it works. Evolve as you progress.
I agree pretty much with that but there is one reason why we dont play that style and play arty farty flicky passing rather than tactics, much like Wrexham and Gillingham for instance.....

Because teams from higher divisions dont sign grafters and tacklers and players who can win headers, they only sign youngsters that can pass it around with fancy shit.

Grafters have no resale value.

We have built our entire premise upon the moneyball system and signing young players for little money or for free and selling for a profit.

Teams in higher divisions wont pay money to sign 27 or 28 year old experienced limited footballers even if as Stevenage proved last season, it can win you promotion.

UTR

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:40:40 »

Thought their keeper was decent, seem to remember him having a good game against us for Crewe last season too.

There was one moment near the end where we got in down the right, had a great opportunity to put the ball across on the floor and he sprung out into danger to claim it. Reminded me of Benda, the last keeper we’ve had who would give confidence to the defence that he could come out and claim crosses to take pressure off us, especially late on in games holding onto a lead. Those sorts of players win you promotion.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:44:36 »

I agree pretty much with that but there is one reason why we dont play that style and play arty farty flicky passing rather than tactics, much like Wrexham and Gillingham for instance.....

Because teams from higher divisions dont sign grafters and tacklers and players who can win headers, they only sign youngsters that can pass it around with fancy shit.

Grafters have no resale value.

We have built our entire premise upon the moneyball system and signing young players for little money or for free and selling for a profit.

Teams in higher divisions wont pay money to sign 27 or 28 year old experienced limited footballers even if as Stevenage proved last season, it can win you promotion.
That sounds feasible. But it then begs the question. If Clem really does want to sell up he’d be better off getting the club into L1. If he’s still after making money from player sales he’ll probably be staying.

Tbh, you can see the logic. Being in L1 with Clem’s finance would be a struggle so why bother. Cheaper to run in L2.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 10:52:03 »

That sounds feasible. But it then begs the question. If Clem really does want to sell up he’d be better off getting the club into L1. If he’s still after making money from player sales he’ll probably be staying.

Tbh, you can see the logic. Being in L1 with Clem’s finance would be a struggle so why bother. Cheaper to run in L2.
You are preaching to the converted, I dont agree with it but I am 100% certain thats the reasoning behind it.

I would get in an entire team of experienced L1/L2 players if I were in charge, pretty much as Flitcroft did and get in a manager who can get the best out of that type of squad and style, then reassess if and when they are promoted.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:11:30 »

It’s all short-termism - and that’s not just directed at Clem but almost every owner we’ve ever had. Whatever success we’ve achieved over the years has never been built upon.

Oh, btw, we had a bigger crowd than Bournemouth in their PL game yesterday.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: