Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Starting 11  (Read 5165 times)
DMC

« on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:10:19 »

So assuming we get the LWB today who can play tomorrow what are we ssaying our strongest 11 is. I had been sucked in to thinking we didn't have many options but that midfield does look strong
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:12:56 »

Mahoney

FBT
UGM
AN Other or Brewitt (assuming Clayton injury)

Hutton
LWB signing

McEachran
Kinsella
Kemp

RHM
Austin

I think. Leaves Khan, Shade, Cain, Wakeling, Young, Minturn on the bench, which isn't terrible.

Main worry about that for me is it's a very short team unless the new CB is a monster. Actual combativeness is much better than last year I think, but set pieces would be my worry.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:16:08 by Nemo » Logged
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:14:59 »

So assuming we get the LWB today who can play tomorrow what are we ssaying our strongest 11 is. I had been sucked in to thinking we didn't have many options but that midfield does look strong

Well... assuming he joins, and ignoring injuries.

GK. Mahoney
RWB. Hutton
LWB. Uwakwe
RCB. UGM
CB. Clayton
LCB. FBT
CM. Khan/Kinsella
CM. McEachran
ACM. Kemp
SC. Austin
SC. RHM

I think Clayton is better and has more prospects that Brewitt. Though i expect another CB signing to come in and take that spot anyway.

DMC

« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:18:42 »

Well... assuming he joins, and ignoring injuries.

GK. Mahoney
RWB. Hutton
LWB. Uwakwe
RCB. UGM
CB. Clayton
LCB. FBT
CM. Khan/Kinsella
CM. McEachran
ACM. Kemp
SC. Austin
SC. RHM

I think Clayton is better and has more prospects that Brewitt. Though i expect another CB signing to come in and take that spot anyway.

I agree although Clayton showed me last year when with experience he is a better player so hope that is the case now
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:19:27 »

Mahoney

FBT
UGM
AN Other or Brewitt (assuming Clayton injury)

Hutton
LWB signing

McEachran
Kinsella
Kemp

RHM
Austin

I think. Leaves Khan, Shade, Cain, Wakeling, Young, Minturn on the bench, which isn't terrible.

Main worry about that for me is it's a very short team unless the new CB is a monster. Actual combativeness is much better than last year I think, but set pieces would be my worry.
I look at that bench and think those players can all come in and do an ok job as subs or for the odd game. Wouldn't want to be relying on them though, and the recruitment in August will determine whether we're a mid-table side or a top 7 team.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:27:21 »

We're groping towards where we wanted to be after last season. I don't think any of us looked at Wakeling, Kahn, Cain and Clayton and thought "they are shit, get rid" but it was clear they weren't ready to be the spine of the team. They're now the squad players to develop that we needed them to be.

..never go back.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 10:55:29 »

We're groping towards where we wanted to be after last season. I don't think any of us looked at Wakeling, Kahn, Cain and Clayton and thought "they are shit, get rid" but it was clear they weren't ready to be the spine of the team. They're now the squad players to develop that we needed them to be.
Khan is 28 in December.  So doubt he will develop much more.   Hopefully will be used better this season though, further up the pitch ideally.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:00:22 »

Khan just needs to keep his head this year. That would count as development.
DMC

« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:02:31 »

HA yes exactly this.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:17:22 »

100% this, he has ability but gets wound up way too easily and opposition managers and players know this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DMC

« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:41:24 »

Good thing is we have a replacement or alternative now
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:44:35 »

With two positions likely still unfilled, it's tough to tell, especially as I haven't really seen the new ones play so can't judge.

As things stand, my main worry for our best first XI is a lack of physical presence still, which includes height.  

There are a few players who we will need to rely on that I am not 100% sold on yet either - like everyone in our midfield from last season.  Glimpses were shown by most (even Cain) but enough to be relied upon to influence games every week, I am not yet sure.

The best signing we made appears to be Flynn, on paper.

I seriously doubt we can be as bad as we were since November, and we at least haven't got a squad of 40 odd.  That should at least provide some consistency.

I'll get back to you in a few weeks on how much better than the 22/23 vintage though.

We have at least been making the right moves - the right players leaving, the right positions being hunted to play the way the Manager wants to play and backfilling where we had most of our weaknesses.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:49:44 »

At risk of derailing a post about starting 11 to a general squad discussion, again.

However its fair to say first 11 to last seasons is there much more experience or physicality in there? Not really, not right now at least. But with UGM, possibly this Tariq lad, and then a still expected physical experienced CB, then i think the physicality of the team is better than it was.

Experience may have edged forward slightly, counting as well the extra season all our current players have had, but yeah thats not moved on as much i would have hoped. We still have a very young squad.
DMC

« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:51:21 »

It'd be interesting to see how it compares age wise and appearances compared to others. I think we can get caught up in just us at times when it looks like other clubs are going and doing similar
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 4, 2023, 11:53:44 »

Let's worry about what we've got rather than what we haven't got.....we may be pleasantly surprised😀

So, give no fucks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: