Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League 2 completed transfers and L2 rumours 2023/24  (Read 59057 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 10:10:42 »

I wonder whether Ward will end up back at FGR.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Monday, July 3, 2023, 15:03:33 »

In case people wanted some numbers to back up their vague feeling of panic/derision of those with a vague sense of panic, here's each team's current squad size:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/startseite/wettbewerb/GB4

Wimbledon have 31, which is the most. Morecambe have 16, which is the lowest. We have 22, which is solidly bottom half. That includes Harvey Fox, who I think might have been give a scholarship extension rather than a pro contract, if that's a distinction worth making. It also includes Gavin Gunning, who they insist on listing as a player. Take those two out and we're 20th, but I suspect other squads have similar small anomalies.

We remain the second youngest squad (above Crewe) at 23.3. L2 average is about 26.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, July 3, 2023, 15:34:11 »

I do seem to remember we hold the player registration for Gunning.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Monday, July 3, 2023, 18:27:33 »

In case people wanted some numbers to back up their vague feeling of panic/derision of those with a vague sense of panic, here's each team's current squad size:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/startseite/wettbewerb/GB4

Wimbledon have 31, which is the most. Morecambe have 16, which is the lowest. We have 22, which is solidly bottom half. That includes Harvey Fox, who I think might have been give a scholarship extension rather than a pro contract, if that's a distinction worth making. It also includes Gavin Gunning, who they insist on listing as a player. Take those two out and we're 20th, but I suspect other squads have similar small anomalies.

We remain the second youngest squad (above Crewe) at 23.3. L2 average is about 26.

I think I can discount the rest of your post based on you thinking 11th of 24 teams is "solidly bottom half". But hey let's not let annoying things like facts get in the way of doom mongering.

..never go back.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Monday, July 3, 2023, 18:48:31 »

I think I can discount the rest of your post based on you thinking 11th of 24 teams is "solidly bottom half". But hey let's not let annoying things like facts get in the way of doom mongering.

I reckon if you're gonna post a weirdly aggressive post about a counting error, it's best to double-check your own counting first. We're 12th. Think we were 14th when I checked earlier, but these things go up and down with transfers. If you think that was doom mongering then that's fine but you must find the rest of STFC discourse completely unreadable.

We have 22 players, two thirds of the division is between 20-24 so that's clearly a "normal" band at this point. The squad size isn't an outlier, which was the point of my original post. In fact, the only remarkable thing about our squad at this point is how young it is - which we know everyone from the manager to the previous manager to the players have said will be addressed.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Monday, July 3, 2023, 19:18:12 »

But your original.post didn't suggest our squad size was about average. It said "solidly bottom half" when we were mid-table and within 1 or 2 players of the squad size of 70/80% of the league.

If you'd posted that we were about the same as most and not an outlier I wouldn't have replied to it. The age thing I think you're right. It's a symptom of the transition from last year's squad where over the last two windows we've lost most of the elder statesman of f the squad and haven't yet replaced them.

I'm less fussed about age anyway. I want some experience but at this level and national you can find 23 yr olds with a couple of seasons and 60 odd league games under their belts.

..never go back.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, July 5, 2023, 10:10:00 »

Max Power turns down Wrexham to sign for Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Qadsiah managed by Robbie Fowler after leaving Wigan.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, July 5, 2023, 10:13:39 »

Grimsby sign 2 goalkeepers Harvey Cartwright and Jake Eastwood.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #203 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:20:46 »

Not completed yet but its looking like Wrexham target Nick Powell will turn them down and sign for Stockport County.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-free-agent-turns-down-coventry-and-west-brom-to-sign-for-stockport-county/

Peter Venkman

« Reply #204 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:29:05 »

Wrexham only looking for a couple of new signings, and from abroad.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/phil-parkinson-opens-up-wrexham-transfer-plans-looking-abroad/bltf920629db1f3ddbf

Peter Venkman

« Reply #205 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:35:33 »

Updated new signings table 4pm 08/07

10 GRIMSBY TOWN
8 AFC WIMBLEDON
8 DONCASTER ROVERS
8 HARROGATE TOWN
8 MORECAMBE
7 SUTTON UNITED
6 BARROW
6 COLCHESTER UNITED
6 BRADFORD CITY
6 WALSALL
5 MANSFIELD TOWN
5 NOTTS COUNTY
5 TRANMERE ROVERS
4 CRAWLEY TOWN
4 CREWE ALEXANDRA
4 Franchise
4 NEWPORT COUNTY
3 FOREST GREEN ROVERS
3 GILLINGHAM
3 SALFORD CITY
3 STOCKPORT COUNTY
1 SWINDON TOWN
0 ACCRINGTON STANLEY
0 WREXHAM

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:40:03 »

I'm guessing Ben Foster isn't classed as an incoming transfer for this season JJ?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:43:53 »

I'm guessing Ben Foster isn't classed as an incoming transfer for this season JJ?

I’m assuming not otherwise we would have 3 (Austin & Brewitt)
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:44:19 »

Updated new signings table 12am 07/07

10 GRIMSBY TOWN
8 AFC WIMBLEDON
8 DONCASTER ROVERS
8 HARROGATE TOWN
8 MORECAMBE
7 SUTTON UNITED
6 BARROW
6 COLCHESTER UNITED
6 BRADFORD CITY
5 MANSFIELD TOWN
5 NOTTS COUNTY
5 TRANMERE ROVERS
5 WALSALL
4 CRAWLEY TOWN
4 CREWE ALEXANDRA
4 Franchise
4 NEWPORT COUNTY
3 FOREST GREEN ROVERS
3 GILLINGHAM
3 SALFORD CITY
3 STOCKPORT COUNTY
1 SWINDON TOWN
0 ACCRINGTON STANLEY
0 WREXHAM

I would be interested to know the number of released players at the end of last season compared to signings. I am sure it is all relative.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #209 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:44:39 »

Nope officially a contract extension mate.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: