Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AFC Wimbledon v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 18219 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 13:26:14 »

Give or take a few words that’s exactly the conversation I had with a friend yesterday. Even mentioned the same clubs.

Daddy - is that you?  Cheesy

Yeah it'd be interesting to see if the badges element ties him a little bit. Not necessarily contractually but maybe via honouring getting his badges finished. Although I imagine he can complete some in June surely?

As you mentioned, it's anyone's guess. I think he may ''just'' stay.

Probably in the minority but if it's a choice between Austin and signing Jephcott I'd go for the latter

Contrary to my last sentence to DV, and based off Jepcott's last few games I would keep him in terms of longevity of personnel. That probably goes without saying as age/fitness levels of our youth bequeaths us all. I think the conundrum is that these two players can't really play in the same team at the same time. A system will work for one but not the other. Obviously on measure, it seems like Jephcott can play in the current system and if given the service/right set up then he too will get goals. I think we can still apply this to Austin too of course.

If we're talking contracts, I think Town should probably offer both something and see who seems most keen/blinks first. Jephcott might want to get out of dodge but he might also see value in what Morris is trying to build squad wise for next season. Austin might want to explore the idea of one last pay day higher up as he might not get chance again, a two year contract in a low end Champ or any League One club would be very attractive for him and he could probably command that. He might also see value in what Morris is trying to achieve/build squad wise, as well as take on a role that lays down his future in football off the pitch and that would be attractive to him.

In conclusion, it could be that Town end up keeping both? If you have a system that suits Jephcott, coupled with Wakeling as a front two then Jephcott will probably continue his recent form and Wakeling will definitely develop and get better by being second striker. Austin effectively would then come off the bench most games to help see out a match and start the occasional game/injury cover. Giving him chance to focus on completing his badges whilst still aiding Town as a very good/luxury squad player.

The last remaining question really, despite maybe being slightly torn on which player we as fans would like to keep or not, is would either of them actually want to stay?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 13:40:43 »

Give or take a few words that’s exactly the conversation I had with a friend yesterday. Even mentioned the same clubs.

Worth noting that the other week pregame on the radio they had an interview with the new Women’s team manager - asked him how the job came about and he said he was already at the club doing some consultancy type work (as in he wasn’t full time employed) and was helping Gunning & Austin with their coaching badges.

Now - how much of that is club funded vs Austin personally funding his own - and whether he needs the club to continue / pass his course or not is anyone’s guess.

Like so many of the decisions to be made, with Austin its a tricky one.

Do we want to be spunking a fair chunk of the wages budget on a player who will undoubtedly be scoring goals (if, god forbid, we play to his strengths), but on the flip side seems to struggle to last a game and is unable to play two games in a week. Albeit with that I would caveat it (as I have with Tomlinson and Brewitt) that I wonder what difference a proper pre-season would do, plus I assume with a better midfield he would be doing less wandering about to try and get the ball.

On the other hand does he actually get on with Morris?

Anyway, hasn't he already signed, there was plenty of ITK suggestions the other week that it was a done deal.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 13:50:30 »

In an ideal world - if we are planning to play two upfront then choosing two from Austin/Jephcott/Wakeling/RHM would be very decent and they just about cover all bases apart from big lump target man.

If we are going to play 3 upfront then we need to invest in some wide forwards but I think all our current forwards play better down the middle.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 24, 2023, 13:52:37 by DiV » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 14:18:50 »

The main thing we need to go 4-4-2 would be a ball winning midfielder, which the likes of Ben Garner and Scott Lindsey seemed to think all had leprosy they were so fearful of having.

I really like the idea of having 2 up front, 3-5-2 has been a disaster this season. 4-4-2 with those strikers I really like the idea of, and we have plenty of players I'd be happy with in CM on the more attacking side of things, but not any who can put themselves about.

Apart from Clayton who I'd like to see tried there.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 15:20:40 »

The main thing we need to go 4-4-2 would be a ball winning midfielder, which the likes of Ben Garner and Scott Lindsey seemed to think all had leprosy they were so fearful of having.

I really like the idea of having 2 up front, 3-5-2 has been a disaster this season. 4-4-2 with those strikers I really like the idea of, and we have plenty of players I'd be happy with in CM on the more attacking side of things, but not any who can put themselves about.

Apart from Clayton who I'd like to see tried there.

On the basis that I'm pretty happy with Clayton as our left sided CB next year I'd like to see Brewitt given an outing there. Has played it apparently.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 15:50:00 »

On the basis that I'm pretty happy with Clayton as our left sided CB next year I'd like to see Brewitt given an outing there. Has played it apparently.

Forgot about that. We should be trying both of them there in the next two games really.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 15:54:09 »

Forgot about that. We should be trying both of them there in the next two games really.

I think if we hadn't had the rotten run we'd probably be able to but I suspect Morris won't upset a backline that looks vaguely functioning as another couple of wins changes the complexion of his short spell and sells those all important season tickets...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, April 24, 2023, 18:47:22 »

In an ideal world - if we are planning to play two upfront then choosing two from Austin/Jephcott/Wakeling/RHM would be very decent and they just about cover all bases apart from big lump target man.

If we are going to play 3 upfront then we need to invest in some wide forwards but I think all our current forwards play better down the middle.

Spot on, we will be hard pushed to find a better striker willing to sign at this level, and the same could be said for Jephcott to a lesser degree, but lots of time to improve with him.

It is the shape, style of play and formation that make or break both Charlie and Jephcott, and the recruitment in those areas.  Get that bit right and of course you would want those 2 in your strikers camp in League 2 next season, there won’t be many better in the league.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
BradtheMiller

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 17:04:07 »

Please check out my vlog from Saturday, should be interesting from a neutrals perspective. I apologise in advance for getting the Swindon players names wrong as I'm not familiar with them & I AM 61!!!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: