Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC vs Barrow AFC pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26768 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2023, 11:56:21 »

I think he's just an optimist tbh bamboo.

we've all got predictions wrong before.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2023, 12:02:40 »

ahem, check the prediction league please Batch!

Joking aside, of course we have got predictions wrong, but for the vast majority, not in such a cocksure, arrogant, condescending tone for many of us.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2023, 13:50:13 »

And exactly why the club picked them to align with.  I think in the early days Rich would have jumped at the chance (and there was a chance) but today i don't think he would touch it with a barge pole.  LSP are happy to have their independence and be able to state their views without having to "run it by" the club first.

Each to their own, I would rather listen to views that are relateable and most of the time resemble what I am seeing on the pitch (even if I don't agree with all of them all of the time) - i certainly don't want to listen to a turd rolling in glitter operation.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2023, 13:51:47 »

Agreed Bernie.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2023, 19:46:00 »

Yeah I'll concede on both notes there mate. There's nothing wrong with either of those things as we can all be guilty of one or both - myself included.

I think it what annoys me is;

See the comments of both Mr Gareth Orange and Mr Bernard Gentleman below  Cheesy

And just one other thing...whilst no crime, I don't particularly enjoy the overly chummy/pally element where it feels like STBL are effectively in bed with STFC but also have their legs spread at every opportunity. Hence the JayBox reference. Keep it professional lads.

My feeling is even the Official STFC Media team/guy and the fella who does the OSTFC match presser interviews don't come across in that cringey 'glitter turd' - nice one Bernie I love it - type of way. For all the bad things about the club, bizarrely it's the Official Media that at least seems to have some sort of professionalism and balance to their delivery. We'll forgive them for using Cameo though - that was fucking awful.

I think what the likes of Hanners and others who get close to the club or any high profile outlet, can learn is that you can still have a lean and a bias but you can do it with a level of professionalism. You've a responsibility when accepting or taking a role, which I'm sure they worked hard to get noticed, that you've gotta be on your a game. Show people that you didn't just take the opportunity but you're going to be the best you can at it, why you obtained it and why you should retain it.

Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:25:25 »

Yeah I'll concede on both notes there mate. There's nothing wrong with either of those things as we can all be guilty of one or both - myself included.

I think it what annoys me is;

See the comments of both Mr Gareth Orange and Mr Bernard Gentleman below  Cheesy

And just one other thing...whilst no crime, I don't particularly enjoy the overly chummy/pally element where it feels like STBL are effectively in bed with STFC but also have their legs spread at every opportunity. Hence the JayBox reference. Keep it professional lads.

This is what grinds my gears as well. At the beginning of the season when they were interviewing Scott Lindsey, they kept referring to him as 'gaffer'. I probably shouldn't get wound up by that so much as it's totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but it came across as a bit weird.  Suicide

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:30:40 »

There's only one gaffer  Too Cool

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:39:10 »

This is what grinds my gears as well. At the beginning of the season when they were interviewing Scott Lindsey, they kept referring to him as 'gaffer'. I probably shouldn't get wound up by that so much as it's totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but it came across as a bit weird.  Suicide

Could I be as bold as to suggest that it is not compulsory to listen to this or any other podcast if you don't like the tone or content.

There are a plethora of things to get pissed off about in the world, many of which are entirely beyond our control and one can't do anything about, ones choice of which outlet to listen to to be told how shite we are is entirely in ones own hands and if its getting on your tits, walk away.

I'll be honest in that I did the same with the LS pod when it morphed from being the interesting interviews etc to people just commenting about the club in the present day, I know/knew we were useless, I didn't need to listen to someone telling me what I already knew.  Cheesy Wink
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:41:58 »

Could I be as bold as to suggest that it is not compulsory to listen to this or any other podcast if you don't like the tone or content.

There are a plethora of things to get pissed off about in the world, many of which are entirely beyond our control and one can't do anything about, ones choice of which outlet to listen to to be told how shite we are is entirely in ones own hands and if its getting on your tits, walk away.

I'll be honest in that I did the same with the LS pod when it morphed from being the interesting interviews etc to people just commenting about the club in the present day, I know/knew we were useless, I didn't need to listen to someone telling me what I already knew.  Cheesy Wink

I'd quite like the club to let the LS pod do those long-form interviews again. Might help to connect the players to the fans.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:44:31 »

Thanks for the added condescension, but that's exactly what I did after listening to that particular episode. I was just providing my feedback which backed up what Kev B had said.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:50:42 »

Thanks for the added condescension, but that's exactly what I did after listening to that particular episode. I was just providing my feedback which backed up what Kev B had said.

Any condescension was entirely unintended so apologies for that. It was an important life lesson I learnt a few years back to stop getting pissed off about nonsense when I could just walk away from things like that, case in point being when I took a break from here as Covid kicked off.

Apologies again!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 11:02:27 »

Any condescension was entirely unintended so apologies for that. It was an important life lesson I learnt a few years back to stop getting pissed off about nonsense when I could just walk away from things like that, case in point being when I took a break from here as Covid kicked off.

Apologies again!

Hey no worries bud. That's cool. FWIW I'm completely aligned with you about not being concerned about things out of my control. The pandemic, to me, was a total eye opener and changed my outlook for sure.

Sorry for the therapy style posts!! haha Smiley

DMC

« Reply #417 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:12:46 »

This is beautiful
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:20:01 »

I agree with you both but I'll admit I've listened to very little STBL for the reasons stated. I think I listened in on one of their twitter spaces once and just didn't really like the whole ''geezer'', barrah boi kind of style. Got nothing against genuine cockernees but again, it falls down to professionalism. It definitely lacks it in bucket hats on STBL for me.

I don't like all of Rob LS content but I always enjoy his style of presenting. Always poking and asking a question which can be answered. Then always allowing his guest to answer as well. I also enjoy the structure of the OSC's OTS/OTC for similar reasons. Although it is often relatively sterile in content, you won't find much better than Vic Morgan for how to do things well. I'm sure he would love to get his teeth into something a bit more debatable as he always strikes me as a great mediator. Hawes has this trait too but can and does push a bit more at times. People can have their opinion on BBC National/Worldwide prerogatives but it's not surprise that these two have and do work for BBC Local. Incredible  top have two journos that are so good at their craft, whilst retaining balance and professionalism.

When hosting my own shows I always look at what I can learn from those who do presenting well. One thing I've learnt to do quite well, is knowing when to interrupt. Sounds like an odd thing to be a positive trait but you have to know when it's the right moment to move things along. Not just because a question has gone of topic or becomes difficult but in order to direct things towards your next question. Leaving it open enough in order to get a genuine answer but cutting in to take it to the next part. I've had great feedback on this from guests and journos which is always nice. One guest recently said;

'I like how you always give me something to say and the opportunity to say it but also if I'm struggling to find an answer, you'll cut in to prompt or move onto something else - like having a brief exchange with your co-host about something relatable. It put me at incredible ease that I didn't have to rush an answer and I could relax into the interview.'

I do like that there are several STFC related media outlets and I personally encourage independent journalism - those people should be proud that they are getting their content out there for people to enjoy, dislike, feel meh, love etc. At the end of the day, if people are talking about it then you're ultimately doing something correct - it's then a matter of refining it to make it better or to be even better but getting it out there is the first and important port of call.

Thanks for attending my TED Talk, sponsored by Eggo Waffles  Cheesy

===============

NB: For balance I thought I'd give STBL a chance and listen to one of their latest offerings...I got to about ten mins in and I know it shouldn't be any surprise considering the name of the pod but they spent that first ten mins wanking themselves silly over Tom 'Broady' Broadbent's recent achievement... Crash I'm really not sure how anyone could sit through 3hrs of that...maybe it got better but I'll refer to my comments about knowing when is right to move onto the next part. Who really, other than people obsessed with Tom Broadbent or South Shields wants to hear about that particular segment for that long? Imo it's not a particularly great way to open a show if trying to retain/engage listeners. I'm also surprised that a show that is effectively being ''Culb Pod'' has zero credits/intro slate to the show, that's pretty much standard procedure. I'm also not a fan either of the logo emblazoned with the sponsor on it either.

Fuck me, it sounds like I really hate TSBL but it's just coming back to that bit about lacking any attempt at professionalism; I'm sure they'll be right along to consult with my expertise  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:21:02 »

This is beautiful

So very beautiful :ohmmmm:

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: