Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hartlepool v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 21549 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 18:57:16 »

Maybe take a walk along the sea front Duke I'm sure your Mackem friends are used to the cold North Sea air!

Never gets lost on me when we drove up there, 5 in a car, parked up and walked into a pub on the Marina (sadly no longer there) it was a Hartlepool pub, shirts, scarfs on the wall etc.
Full of locals and in we walked, bar busy and landlord looks up and said, “hang on lads let’s serve these first, they have come a long way.” Bar parted and we got served.
Rest of the time spend a few hours drinking with the locals and walked to the ground with them.

Always a soft spot. Spent many weekends as a single lad in the NE, particularly Newcastle.
Best City in the Country bar none for a “neet” out.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 18:58:54 »

We'll see you there, Duke.  One of the faces I can always pretty much guarantee seeing at these northern away days.  I think we'll be heading to Jackson's Wharf before the game for a bite to eat.

Last season's win up there was pretty much the start of our end of season run to the play offs.  Can't see a repeat of the 3-0 this season - but we should sneak a win.

I might be a little worse for wear 😂🍺
Not coming home until Monday either 😇

A few pubs, the Globe was one mentioned.
The one you mention was in there last season. Nice place.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 19:01:29 »

Never gets lost on me when we drove up there, 5 in a car, parked up and walked into a pub on the Marina (sadly no longer there) it was a Hartlepool pub, shirts, scarfs on the wall etc.
Full of locals and in we walked, bar busy and landlord looks up and said, “hang on lads let’s serve these first, they have come a long way.” Bar parted and we got served.
Rest of the time spend a few hours drinking with the locals and walked to the ground with them.

Always a soft spot. Spent many weekends as a single lad in the NE, particularly Newcastle.
Best City in the Country bar none for a “neet” out.

You often he stories of Northerners being more friendly than southerners. Great story & memories and a shame that individual pubs that are not part of a chain are being forced to close.

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 19:28:18 »

I might be a little worse for wear 😂🍺
Not coming home until Monday either 😇

A few pubs, the Globe was one mentioned.
The one you mention was in there last season. Nice place.

The micropub at the station is fun as long as you like ale. Just DON'T ask for lager...!
Cameron's Brewery good too.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 08:34:06 »

You often he stories of Northerners being more friendly than southerners. Great story & memories and a shame that individual pubs that are not part of a chain are being forced to close.
Most of that fallacy stems from Northerners themselves who love to pat themselves on the back and call themselves the "salt of the earth", IMO it can be aimed more so at Londoners but to say Southerners is incorrect.

I have lived in London, the North, the South and the Midlands and we are pretty much all cut from the same cloth excluding Londoners who (for generalisation purposes) most "Northerners" call "Southerners" and anything South of Birmingham seems to be encompassed under that same moniker, especially by those who think the North starts in Cumbria and Northumberland, without starting another North/South divide argument.

You are just as likely to be treated badly or friendly in the north, south, east, west or midlands.

London and a few parts of the South East though is in its own league, a bit like New York is in America for general outsider hostility from what I have found myself.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 08:54:50 »

Most of that fallacy stems from Northerners themselves who love to pat themselves on the back and call themselves the "salt of the earth", IMO it can be aimed more so at Londoners but to say Southerners is incorrect.

I have lived in London, the North, the South and the Midlands and we are pretty much all cut from the same cloth excluding Londoners who (for generalisation purposes) most "Northerners" call "Southerners" and anything South of Birmingham seems to be encompassed under that same moniker, especially by those who think the North starts in Cumbria and Northumberland, without starting another North/South divide argument.

You are just as likely to be treated badly or friendly in the north, south, east, west or midlands.

London and a few parts of the South East though is in its own league, a bit like New York is in America for general outsider hostility from what I have found myself.

At Grimsby away this year some random Grimsby fan gleefully said to us when we were eating fish & chips that they were “much better up here than in London”, presumably assuming Swindon was another suburb of London.

He did look quite confused when I told him I lived in Lincolnshire (albeit only just).
Peter Venkman

« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 08:56:37 »

At Grimsby away this year some random Grimsby fan gleefully said to us when we were eating fish & chips that they were “much better up here than in London”, presumably assuming Swindon was another suburb of London.
Geography not their strong point!

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 08:57:36 »

Putting football to one side it's surprising how many Northern people don't know where Swindon is on the map when you get chatting abroad on holiday

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 09:08:45 »

Putting football to one side it's surprising how many Northern people don't know where Swindon is on the map when you get chatting abroad on holiday

I suspect if one did similar analysis as to how many people from Swindon knew where pretty nondescript northern towns were you would get similar results.

To echo what PV says above, having lived all over the country people are generally pretty much the same their degree of happiness/misery/approachability etc depends on them rather than their location.

That said I do take a perverse pleasure at smiling at people on the Tube in London, just for the shits and giggle.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 09:12:29 »

That said I do take a perverse pleasure at smiling at people on the Tube in London, just for the shits and giggle.
Its a bit like the departure and arrivals lounge in Men in black Cheesy

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 10:14:49 »

I suspect if one did similar analysis as to how many people from Swindon knew where pretty nondescript northern towns were you would get similar results.

Swindon is 31st largest metropolitan area in the UK by population. Would hardly decribe it as nondescript.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPON_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 10:17:43 »

Swindon is 31st largest metropolitan area in the UK by population. Would hardly decribe it as nondescript.

I mean, Milton Keynes is 30th and that's more or less the dictionary description of non-descript.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 10:18:23 »

Crying
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 10:20:02 »

Possibly so, but its still a place without any sort of historic or tourists sights that catches the eye for the average population without much interest in geography. What does the metropolitan area of Swindon actually include (it apparently adds 116,000 to the population beyond Swindon).
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #29 on: Friday, March 31, 2023, 10:29:29 »

Guess Wroughton and Highworth and other such pony villages
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: