Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28711 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:31:28 »

I was trying to work out how many extra points we would have if Morris games finished in the 80th minute.

Sutton +3 points (85th and 88th min goals)
Carlisle +1 point (96th min goal)
Rochdale +2 points (94th min goal)
Stockport +1 point (80th min goal)
Hartlepool +3 points (88th and 94th min goals)

That is an extra 10 points in the last 9 games. We'd be two points outside the playoffs with a game in hand on Salford.

I'm still backing Morris but whilst the players should take a fair chunk of the blame, he has to look at his own game management, formations and instructions.

How many after austin was subbed? Or is it just coincidence?     Harsh to include Stockport as we did well to keep it to nil playing with 10 men all game.

It's clearly a combination of character, physicality and experience.   We're also pretty shit on the counter and have no target man so just get deeper and deeper.  

Yes Morris has to take a big chunk of the blame, but those problems have been there all season and you have to be ahead to drop points in the first place.

The damage was done in July and nothing that has been done on the pitch or behind the scenes has improved it.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:31:33 »

I’ve gone from very optimistic to down right fucked off in a short space of time. That said on the way back from the Easter Uni DNA run on Saturday afternoon we were discussing what has gone wrong, the where fors, why’s, whose to blame etc. Pretty much everything that has been posted on here was covered.

Collectively we feel the squad in a word is massively disjointed. There are some good players in there but they just don’t or have not played together as a real cohesive team from the off. Flashes of promise and some decent results have masked the underlying problems that have manifested themselves to what we have now. Ok, that’s obvious I guess so who is to blame?

I’ll go back to halfway through this post. ‘Collectively’ everyone from Clem to Lyndsey and Morris. Apportioning a % of the blame to any individual is very difficult. I just hope that they have learnt something and can work it out before a ball is kicked in anger next season.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:34:01 »

I’m leaning towards less the ‘experience’ being the missing ingredient and more so leadership. For example if Kadji is just jogging back and not near his man someone should be fucking screaming at him to get his man.

You also have to ask why players think performing like that is acceptable, now admittedly Kadji isn't playing for a contract here so doesn't need to impress the manager etc, but anyone scouting him for next season (or City for that matter) are going to notice that he is a lazy disinterested shit which will affect his future career.

The only game I have recently watched all the way through was the Walsall one and we were energetic first half but came out in the second like Morris had had them all on the Laudanum at half time so not sure how much of a motivator he is and Kadji's performance doesn't suggest that the players are particularly concerned about a bollocking, as for fitness I'm not sure after 7 months this can all be laid at the door of preseason.

Like everything else, its a mess.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:36:28 »

One reason we struggle late - apart possibly from physical and mental fatigue / lack of fitness - is that since January we can’t keep the ball well enough - inexperienced players drop deeper / closer to their own box, hoof it upfield where we we have nobody who can hold onto it until support arrives, support is too far away, so it comes back again. Even against Orient away, I spent a large part of the first half shouting at the defence to set the line higher up the pitch, which to be fair , for most of the second half we did.
 The lack of someone able to do what Davison / Simpson did last year is real a problem impacting on this part of the game, and losing Reed and Gladwin in January have also worsened our ability to keep the ball.
Watching a couple of sides hold a 1 goal lead at the CG - it’s bread and butter stuff, not rocket science - they use a target man to hold it up, work their way up the pitch and keep it in an attacking corner area. It sounds simple but watching us try to do it at home has at times been painful.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:41:46 »

I’ve gone from very optimistic to down right fucked off in a short space of time. That said on the way back from the Easter Uni DNA run on Saturday afternoon we were discussing what has gone wrong, the where fors, why’s, whose to blame etc. Pretty much everything that has been posted on here was covered.

Collectively we feel the squad in a word is massively disjointed. There are some good players in there but they just don’t or have not played together as a real cohesive team from the off. Flashes of promise and some decent results have masked the underlying problems that have manifested themselves to what we have now. Ok, that’s obvious I guess so who is to blame?

I’ll go back to halfway through this post. ‘Collectively’ everyone from Clem to Lyndsey and Morris. Apportioning a % of the blame to any individual is very difficult. I just hope that they have learnt something and can work it out before a ball is kicked in anger next season.
Ultimately it is 100% Clem.

He appointed the senior management team to run the club and rather than appoint an experienced, proven football person he hired a rookie technical director and a rookie football manager and gave them money to spend on a squad.

Needless to say they made mistakes.  

It's why penny pinching doesn't work, it may have cost him an extra £50k or so to get the experienced bloke in, but he wouldn't have spunked so much money a load of dross and lose a shit ton of revenue from a load of dead rubbers and fans giving up.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:44:20 »

Ultimately it is 100% Clem.

He appointed the senior management team to run the club and rather than appoint an experienced, proven football person he hired a rookie technical director and a rookie football manager and gave them money to spend on a squad.

Needless to say they made mistakes.  

It's why penny pinching doesn't work, it may have cost him an extra £50k or so to get the experienced bloke in, but he wouldn't have spunked so much money a load of dross and lose a shit ton of revenue from a load of dead rubbers and fans giving up.

Totally agree with that last point. Speculate to accumulate. The current 'model' sees us in a doom spiral of ever diminishing returns. Hard reset required...NOW!
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:56:07 »

Totally agree with that last point. Speculate to accumulate. The current 'model' sees us in a doom spiral of ever diminishing returns. Hard reset required...NOW!
It's not about speculating to accumulate as that infers a gamble.  It was actually not playing it safe that was the issue.

I fully expect that it happened because Clem wouldn't pay the going rate and/or the experienced people didn't agree with the strategy Clem wanted to follow.   It was a huge gamble that failed miserably.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 09:00:01 »

It's not about speculating to accumulate as that infers a gamble.  It was actually not playing it safe that was the issue.

I fully expect that it happened because Clem wouldn't pay the going rate and/or the experienced people didn't agree with the strategy Clem wanted to follow.   It was a huge gamble that failed miserably.

Any job hire is a gamble, but yes, "invest in the foundations" might have been better wording than speculate to accumulate.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 09:02:55 »

It’s not just late goals, though. Again, without actually looking, we seem to go to pieces for 15 minutes after we concede and have ended up letting in 2 in a short space of time. Why do the players revert to ‘all piss and panic’ mode so easily.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 09:11:00 »

A reminder of our lowest ever finish, 17th, 1983-84

P    W    D      L     F    A    GD  Pts
   Swindon Town   46   15   13   18   58   56   2    58

Current:
                            P    W    D     L     F    A    GD  Pts
   Swindon Town   38   13   12   13   50   45   5    51

I think we'll beat it (5 points is my huess), but the size of rebuild needed is massive!
« Last Edit: Monday, April 3, 2023, 09:13:13 by Batch » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #160 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 09:40:58 »

A reminder of our lowest ever finish, 17th, 1983-84

P    W    D      L     F    A    GD  Pts
   Swindon Town   46   15   13   18   58   56   2    58

Current:
                            P    W    D     L     F    A    GD  Pts
   Swindon Town   38   13   12   13   50   45   5    51

I think we'll beat it (5 points is my huess), but the size of rebuild needed is massive!

83/84 wasnt just our worst finish it was our worst team and manager all in 1, just saying Smiley

Although I went to every game that season home and away and we were awful.

We had 3* sub 2,000 home attendances and on the verge of bankruptcy until the Lowndes Lambert sponsorship and the appointment of Macari at the end of that season turned us into a decent team.

Saying that we still had a 7-0 away win that season!

This season doesnt have the same feeling of utter despair as that season did, the only season we employed a manager (Beamish) who played anti football hoofball...until we appointed Flitcroft.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 10:02:01 »

At least it might not be "garbage" next season then

It's league 2, the basement of the football pyramid, it will always be 'garbage'.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 10:07:04 »

It's league 2, the basement of the football pyramid, it will always be 'garbage'.

I can cope with garbage, if you feel like you “can” win every week
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 10:21:06 »

I can cope with garbage, if you feel like you “can” win every week

Agree. The Wellens season and last season provided some great days out.

Even further back to the PDC season where we brought the league  .
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 10:25:18 »

Saying that we still had a 7-0 away win that season!

Don't forget the 13-0 home win over the US Airforce!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: