Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28170 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 11:14:05 »

Brennan has been here all season (although you might have meant into the starting XI)

Yeah, starting 11.

He looked like he was going to be recalled in Jan through lack of game time
adje

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 11:27:15 »

100% spot on.
However we need to address the fact that we get bullied and outmuscled by this league two garbage.

What a chance we have missed this season. Shambles.
Next season is going to be an even tougher challenge with those coming up and those going down.
At least it might not be "garbage" next season then

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 12:21:08 »

Zonal marking may work for more experienced players but we're very good at leaving spaces for opposition players to move into unchallenged!

But what is being trained in PL academies these days, as many of our players are academy rejects and our manager has his basis in the same place it may be that the players have literally no experience of man marking at et pieces, albeit the way they play (at both ends) I am not sure they have any experience of set pieces full stop.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 15:32:20 »

But what is being trained in PL academies these days, as many of our players are academy rejects and our manager has his basis in the same place it may be that the players have literally no experience of man marking at et pieces, albeit the way they play (at both ends) I am not sure they have any experience of set pieces full stop.

Good point, they may not have much experience of set pieces at all which has to be a flaw in the way they have been coached which means they are having to start from scratch when they join a new club.

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:29:42 »

I was trying to work out how many extra points we would have if Morris games finished in the 80th minute.

Sutton +3 points (85th and 88th min goals)
Carlisle +1 point (96th min goal)
Rochdale +2 points (94th min goal)
Stockport +1 point (80th min goal)
Hartlepool +3 points (88th and 94th min goals)

That is an extra 10 points in the last 9 games. We'd be two points outside the playoffs with a game in hand on Salford.

I'm still backing Morris but whilst the players should take a fair chunk of the blame, he has to look at his own game management, formations and instructions.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:39:58 »

I was trying to work out how many extra points we would have if Morris games finished in the 80th minute.

That is an extra 10 points in the last 9 games. We'd be two points outside the playoffs with a game in hand on Salford.

I'm still backing Morris but whilst the players should take a fair chunk of the blame, he has to look at his own game management, formations and instructions.

If you’re bored enough - how does that compare under Lindsey out of interest?

His pre season is getting stick from some for our fitness levels now and the late goals but I don’t remember us being this vulnerable in the last 10 under Lindsey. Although fitness wise we were so slow and ponderous we probably didn’t use any energy away + half our current team weren’t here for pre-season. Brewitt, FBT, Tomlinson, McEacheran, Kadji, Cain, Jephcott, Lavinier, Austin. I think RHM was here but injured?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:44:34 »

Which backs up, to some degree, my assertion that the players aren’t crap. They just have next to zero game management experience. Don’t know if that can be coached though.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:47:27 »

Stockport away +2 points (84th min goal)
Northampton home +1 point (88th min goal)
Walsall home +1 point (90 min goal)

Crawley we were 0-0 at 78 minutes. Lost 2-0.

Bradford away -1 point (we scored in the 90th min)

Must admit it was a very brief look.

Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:50:47 »

Stockport away +2 points (84th min goal)
Northampton home +1 point (88th min goal)
Walsall home +1 point (90 min goal)

Crawley we were 0-0 at 78 minutes. Lost 2-0.

Bradford away -1 point (we scored in the 90th min)

Must admit it was a very brief look.

Interesting. I don't remember that many late goals under him but there obviously were. On pitch game management has been shocking all season.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:50:57 »

Which backs up, to some degree, my assertion that the players aren’t crap. They just have next to zero game management experience. Don’t know if that can be coached though.

I think some game management can be coached in but for it’s such basic stuff in some cases that if they can’t do it now - they never will. It’s literally school boy stuff.

I’m leaning towards less the ‘experience’ being the missing ingredient and more so leadership. For example if Kadji is just jogging back and not near his man someone should be fucking screaming at him to get his man. That leadership doesn’t necessarily come directly from experience but can do. Sometimes leaders are just leaders and followers are followers. Jerel Ifil was an experienced player but always need someone to talk him through games…
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:54:36 »

Same as 'Captain' Conroy. Needed Baudry there to get the best of him.

As I said on the Hartlepool thread, having observed them up close behind the goal at Hartlepool, compared to my normal elevated side view at Swindon, Brewitt is the only natural talker in this defence, with Austin probably the only other one in the side. This has long been a bugbear of mine at Swindon. MacDonald wasn't either. Olly Lancashire the most egregious example of a ghost captain in recent years (shudder).
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:56:54 »

As I said on the Hartlepool thread, having observed them up close behind the goal at Hartlepool, compared to my normal elevated side view at Swindon, Brewitt is the only natural talker in this defence, with Austin probably the only other one in the side. This has long been a bugbear of mine at Swindon. MacDonald wasn't either. Olly Lancashire the most egregious example of a ghost captain in recent years (shudder).

Yeah Conroy the same.

Who’d have thought we’d be here in April suggesting that Baudry might actually be our biggest loss from last season - yet was the only one who agreed to stay!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 07:59:00 »

…but…again like Gladwin & Reed; we are calling him not being in the team a loss but he wasn’t exactly pulling up any trees or playing at the top of his game before being injured.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:01:06 »

I think there was a suggestion somewhere that MacDonald being made captain over Baudry caused some dressing room upset. Might have been a factor.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 08:29:05 »

I never think it’s a case of a player needing another.
Conroy and Baudry played and developed under Wellens, they understood each other and trusted each other. Equally time allowed them to develop. Only downside was the injury issues.
Both of them staying fit at the end of last season helped get us to the play offs.

Nowhere near the stability now.
Ffs we are playing a left back central defence and a free contract player in the heart of the defence. No issues with both of them but piss poor thinking and planning.
Never replaced MacDonald, absolutely shocking.

The club piss me right off, absolute shambles.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: