Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Energy bills  (Read 6230 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 17:57:59 »

And the production side can't sell their wares to their own supplier side at reduced rates due to monopoly rules, the dice seems incredibly weighted in favour of these companies vs. consumers.

On that issue something I had never thought of until today when it was mentioned on a podcast was the fact that privatisation is supposed to open up the market to competition of the benefit of consumers, yet in the privatised water market I have no choice but to buy my water services from United Utilities, so all it has actually done is set up a beautiful private monopoly!

The real money in the water industry is made in the Capital Investments.  Lend yourself the money to build stuff, charge the customers over the next 5 years to pay the loan with interest, make sure your investment arm is located in the Cayman's.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 22:27:43 »

I've just moved onto the Octopus tracker tariff, which at the moment is 20-30% than the EPG.  They now have a waiting list to join up to 6 months (I can't see it taking that long though).

The tariff follows the wholesale market costs, as costs are lower now it means they can offer lower prices.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 03:46:21 »

I'm on their Fixed Green Tariff up until Sept 2023. I was meant to go onto their Octopus Go Tariff ages ago but it never happened; as it happens I'm better off having fixed on the tariff I'm on. Thankfully not paying the 34p/kWh national average for leccy...yet.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 07:06:01 »

Current price is 22p for Electric and 6p for gas
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 15:54:24 »

Current price is 22p for Electric and 6p for gas

On the tracker tariff yup, with a 49ppd standing charge too.

I was reflecting the OfGem cap and average of 34p/kWh for Electric and 10p/kWh for Gas, which obviously lots of customers will be paying that or near to it.

I'm currently paying (Electric only) 19p/kWh - Day and 13p/kWh - Night, with a 27ppd standing charge. I'm pretty happy with that all things considered. Might be interesting come September though when that term ends but I'll be moving to dual fuel around then so will look at what options I have closer to the time.

'Incessant Nonsense'

STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 20:25:44 »

On the tracker tariff yup, with a 49ppd standing charge too.

I was reflecting the OfGem cap and average of 34p/kWh for Electric and 10p/kWh for Gas, which obviously lots of customers will be paying that or near to it.

I'm currently paying (Electric only) 19p/kWh - Day and 13p/kWh - Night, with a 27ppd standing charge. I'm pretty happy with that all things considered. Might be interesting come September though when that term ends but I'll be moving to dual fuel around then so will look at what options I have closer to the time.

Yeah the standing charge is the same as the EPG though. i was on a fix until the company went bust, so this is working out c20-30% cheaper than the EPG.  Well done on fixing that low!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 01:48:04 »

Yeah the standing charge is the same as the EPG though. i was on a fix until the company went bust, so this is working out c20-30% cheaper than the EPG.  Well done on fixing that low!

I'd probably trial the tracker on dual fuel and possibly in less volatile times but the good thing about Octopus is, if you feel the tracker prices are going to be high for a while you can dip out and switch tariff within a day.

The fix on that I think was just good timing/luck. I previously was on a fantastic rate with YE - Yorkshire Energy, something like 17p/kWh - Day and 7p/kWh - Night on a fixed 24m rate from March 2020 to 2022 I think?? But they went under about halfway through the term and OfGem decided to let Scottish effing Power take over their customers. Couldn't agree a favourable tariff with them and they were incredibly useless so moved to Octopus in September 2021, although I had tried to switch in the May and June, which SP blocked on both occasions due to a nominal amount of about 40 quid apparently owing, even though I had already instructed them that I wanted to leave - since I hadn't chosen them as my provider and reminded them that they had inherited me via OfGem. Even Octopus said it was odd that they blocked the move twice - even with any outstanding amount.

Apologies, long route to basically getting Octopus Super Green Fixed 24m May Tariff, which they kindly honoured the rates as I had attempted to switch in the May 2021. I was a smidge miffed at the higher night rate compared to YE but it was the best fixed rate combined for an Eco7 Tariff that I could hope to get at the time. With hindsight and as we know, as soon as April 2022 hit, rates really ramped up.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 09:23:37 »

The real money in the water industry is made in the Capital Investments.  Lend yourself the money to build stuff, charge the customers over the next 5 years to pay the loan with interest, make sure your investment arm is located in the Cayman's.

Which doesn't explain why they are now pumping evermore amounts of shite into the rivers and the sea due to lack of investment since privatisation!
normy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 12:13:27 »

My 1 year current fixed deal with Eon, duel fuel,  is for electric 28.45 p/kwhr and standing charge of 43.39 p/day. Gas is 7.48 p/kwhr and 27.22p/day

The fixed deal ends on 26th of this month, when I can't get another fixed deal, and have to go with their Next Flex variable deal. Electric rises to 34.28, charge 44.41/day, and gas 10.46, 28.48p/day.

I haven't bothered to shop around but I understand most of us will be paying about that.

ust be the oldest
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 12:22:42 »

And yet wholesale gas prices are plummeting due to a mild winter.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 12:23:33 »

same issue here Normy. Why didn't we do the 2 year fixed!
normy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 13:30:25 »

same issue here Normy. Why didn't we do the 2 year fixed!

Quite right Batch, I'm kicking myself!

ust be the oldest
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 13:34:51 »

Ah well, 'no use crying over spilt milk' as my great aunt Doris would say.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 13:44:50 »

And yet wholesale gas prices are plummeting due to a mild winter.

Ssssshhhhhh you are not supposed to notice that! (I also believe that they are actually now lower than when Russia invaded Ukraine, so that excuse is starting to wear a little thin).
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 13:50:31 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/03/why-are-wholesale-gas-prices-falling-cut-uk-bills-power-cuts
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: