Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PIV Unit  (Read 4449 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 11:21:32 »

Anyone got one and/or know any reputable installers??

We get bad condensation which leads to mold, which I seem to be forever cleaning. Reading up on these units and they seem too good to be true

Things get better but they never get good
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 12:49:32 »

Not heard of them, but I'd imagine they work in most cases as they are solving the cause of most mold, which is not letting enough fresh air in.

Whereabouts are you getting the mold? Is it an older property?

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 13:21:10 »

Before you spend out try to be sure that it is a lack of ventilation causing the mold. It can sometimes be walls made damp from outside etc. We had rainwater gathering in a faulty extractor fan once which was the problem.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 14:00:29 »

Firstly, we are not Septic Tanks!!! Mould, it's mould!!

Secondly this thread is of interest to me as we are in the same boat as BD. We live in an old cottage and in winter the walls (due to no insulation) are cold to the touch and the condensation around the windows is terrible. I had been looking at dehumidifiers but they seem costly and I would need more than one of them.

I've never heard of a PIV system but in theory it sounds ideal. I would be interested to know more about them so any input here is appreciated.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 15:01:37 »

Quote from: sir windon
Before you spend out try to be sure that it is a lack of ventilation causing the mold. It can sometimes be walls made damp from outside etc. We had rainwater gathering in a faulty extractor fan once which was the problem.

yup, ours was actually caused by a leaking roof gutter
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 15:09:17 »

Ventilation is key. I had moisture in my loft on the roof felt, so I got a circular cutter and some Ventilation grills and put 3 in the soffets on each side of the roof. Problem solved.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 15:12:44 »

Loft moisture is a real problem but no surprise when you think how cold it gets around the felt/tiles v heat seeping up through the ceiling even though there's insulation above. What you've done sounds a good idea and clearly works but you would think there would be enough air flow from the soffit area to prevent any condensation.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 15:14:51 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 16:22:53 »

Agree with all this, but with the caveats of a) think about it logically and b) if taking 'professional' advice consider whether they are just trying to sell you something.

Still remember a bloke coming to me wanting to install a DPC into a listed building as he had damp at the top of his ground floor walls and one of those DPC companies had come out and told him he had rising damp and needed a DPC having checked it with one of those moisture meters*.

When I queried with him (and then at his request the DPC company) why the damp was apparently coming from the foot of the wall but undetectably going up the wall and only manifesting at the tops they were unable to explain how it was migrating up the wall, once again it was a condensation job due to solid walls, no cavity and poor ventilation.

Loft moisture is a real problem but no surprise when you think how cold it gets around the felt/tiles v heat seeping up through the ceiling even though there's insulation above. What you've done sounds a good idea and clearly works but you would think there would be enough air flow from the soffit area to prevent any condensation.

Hence why breathable (and ridiculously thin compared to old fashioned types) felt is pretty universally specified on jobs these days.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 16:50:02 »

b) if taking 'professional' advice consider whether they are just trying to sell you something.

I can't for the life of me think who we used in Swindon, but he basically said "fix your your gutter" and left it there. Really could have fleeced us but didn't. Didn't even charge a fee.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 17:34:43 »

In NZ and especially in Auckland we have humidity issues which caused moisture problems and leads to  dampness and mould problems
These problems don't seem to be happening with new home built with double glazed windows and better insulation. I have a home that has single glazed windows and poor insulation in the walls the roof is fine though. In winter it is expensive to heat.Yes the house had "Running" windows and as stated was expensive to heat.
After getting advice from many supposed experts I invested in a product called Moisture Master which has proven to be very good. This is a low pressure design as opposed to most systems that are high pressure.
We don't have moisture or mould problems and heating costs in the winter have dropped.
Seach google for Moisture Master  NZ and check the technical specifications and surely there must be something similar in the UK
Hope you find what you are looking for
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: