Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v The Monkey Hangers Pre Match Chat & Match day Thread ‘22-‘23  (Read 13070 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #150 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 09:33:05 »

Blake Tracey comes across as the type to fill in for bauldry at cb and have ellis back at left back. Bauldry keeps having a couple of really bad moments every game but then he dealt with the big no.9 perfectly throughout.
I would happily have FBT at CB but not Iandolo at LB, he just doesnt work there defensively, keep him in midfield or wide left, hes a liability at LB as he showed yet again at Rovers on Tuesday.

I hope Devine can get some fitness, otherwise I would say possibly Lavinier at LB as he has played there for Spurs previously.

I would be tempted to try Ellis at CB.
Ian Dolo played well there previously but only as part of a 3 CB set up, I wouldnt want to rely on him in a 2 CB pairing especially with 2 left footers at CB.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 10:23:10 »

I would happily have FBT at CB but not Iandolo at LB, he just doesnt work there defensively, keep him in midfield or wide left, hes a liability at LB as he showed yet again at Rovers on Tuesday.

I hope Devine can get some fitness, otherwise I would say possibly Lavinier at LB as he has played there for Spurs previously.
Ian Dolo played well there previously but only as part of a 3 CB set up, I wouldnt want to rely on him in a 2 CB pairing especially with 2 left footers at CB.

i dont know how one of our most consistent and best players last season can't start in his most played position.

in the vast majority of games we play at home we don't actually need to rely on him that much defensively anyway. visiting teams with a back 5 means we usually only have 2 centre backs left at the back when we are attacking. can't help but think your going a bit Trent AA on your view point of him
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 11:21:22 »

because he's bang average at left back when defending
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 11:51:16 »

I can't remember this critism last season over the 44 games he played when this very forum voted him as one of best players. To go from playing every game to not even wanting him play left back as he's below average.

It's very strange. You could argue that Blake Tracey is below average in attacking from left back so just depends what people want from a possession dominating team that heavily rely on width, passing triangles and crossing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 14:19:38 »

you could, but he's fine at defending

we've done 'iandolo isn't a left back' argument a fair bit. it's not new
DMC

« Reply #155 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 14:27:51 »

It's a balancing act for. If people want us to be more attacking then you need a more attacking left back,I'm happy enough nicking wins so would rather we leave things how they are.

Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 14:28:50 »

Seem to remember that Iandolos best performances last season came when he played at centre mid..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Sunday, October 23, 2022, 17:01:15 »

he played well there indeed

Is he better long term there than Reed, assuming he can get form back?

I suspect Reed is finished here, so moot.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 07:58:47 »

Havent read back.

At 2 zip i was looking forward to going back to the pub with us 4 or 5 up.

It didnt happen.....what was Frenchy thinking with that defending?? Did he think he was on Strictly?

After we gave them one it was a huff and puff battle.

Their keeper made two good saves in the second and from the TE it wasnt a Penalty (could of been if Khan was a bit more committed).

Seems the results are coming rather than the performances....so fine by me.

I will be at Bradford tomorrow night and we will need to show up then for sure.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 08:21:47 »

Haven't read back but with only 11 pages, it's not going to take long!

As with the Colchester game it wasn't overly impressive. From our 2 goals it was clear that their keeper was glued to his goal line and the defence had zero confidence. From our perspective 2 good goals but if you are a Hartlepool fan you'd be livid at the keeper and defence. From then on it looked like a case of how many but Baudry dropped a clanger and Hartlepool got one back. You could see from their body language however that even though they were right back in it, barely anyone went over to their goalscorer or even tried to gee up their side. Clayton and Baudry were both having a poor game and Umerah up front was getting nothing from the referee thankfully, a good honest battle with Frenchy giving as good as he was getting against the big number 9.

The second half was quite dull, we probably did enough to score at least 1 more but I actually can't remember what happened now so won't dwell on it any further. Another 3 points in the bag and up to 5th in the table. I still don't think we look particularly convincing, I do think the wing-backs with Hutton and FBT are the only 'settled' part of the pitch with both players consistently playing well. I thought Baudry and Clayton looked shaky and running the danger of tempting fate, I think Brynn has a clanger in him around the corner. Don't get me wrong he has been excellent this season but there were 2 or 3 moments on Saturday that could have ended up disastrously on another day, particularly when he kicks the ball ahead of him and does run the risk of a striker nicking the ball away from him or his hurried clearance blocked. I thought Gladwin ran the show well, his range of passing is excellent, a tough skill which at times he makes easy. Khan and Darcy ok I guess, good between the boxes but never really penetrating enough. Still not sure about the front 3, all work hard and have good running and whilst it seems a bit silly given 2/3 of them scored, I'm not sure the way we play suits Wakeling.

At the end of the day we got the 3 points, but it was much more of a grind than it probably should have been. Bradford and Mansfield will be much more of a barometer of where we currently are. I wonder if Reed might come back into the fold to add a bit more nous for the tougher games.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 10:04:22 »

One thing which makes it harder for us is the poor finishing when one on one with the keeper

Both Wakeling and Khan through on the keeper which were saved

Colchester game Jephcot through and keeper saved

There is not what I would class as a good finisher in the side.

We should be putting away at least 1 in 3 and more likely 2 in 3. Would make these games so much easier
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 10:17:39 »

One thing which makes it harder for us is the poor finishing when one on one with the keeper

We should be putting away at least 1 in 3 and more likely 2 in 3. Would make these games so much easier

1 in 3 would probably be a reasonable 4th tier return.

Clems Army!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 10:38:51 »

Top league 2 goal scorers

https://www.soccerstats.com/scorers.asp?league=england4

So, give no fucks
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 12:20:20 »

I didn't think wakeling even took the shot on his 1 on 1. Dithered on the ball for that long that their defending tackled him which carried the ball towards the goal keeper.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Monday, October 24, 2022, 12:22:19 »

Good header from Jephcott his goal.

There's a player in there that we need to unlock. The stats say so too (not meant sarcastically)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: