Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 201   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 354398 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 12:26:24 »

It went when we got rid of MacDonald and didn’t sign a centre back who could head the ball
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 12:32:02 »

It went when we got rid of MacDonald and didn’t sign a centre back who could head the ball

Or even someone who challenges for the ball, because you don’t actually need to win the ball to put off the opponent
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1217 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 12:37:14 »

I think we got sold a kipper with Kadji. The guy is simply appalling. Watch back what Sandro had to say about him when we signed him... clueless. If we'd managed to get a proper DM in that might have helped. I loathe it when people talk about bringing back players from yesteryear (Jamie Sendles White etc!) but I simply don't believe that Kadji is better than a 35 year old Anthony Grant at half speed.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1218 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:08:48 »

On another note, we talk about the ridiculous composition of our defensive options under Sandro's masterplan. Can anyone tell me who our main striker was at the start of the season? We'd resolved to sell McKirdy (arguably a winger anyway) so who was the main man to be? The #9? And don't say Adeloye! To make it to April with no players in double figures tells you everything you need to know. Stick that data in your pipe and smoke it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1219 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:25:42 »

On another note, we talk about the ridiculous composition of our defensive options under Sandro's masterplan. Can anyone tell me who our main striker was at the start of the season? We'd resolved to sell McKirdy (arguably a winger anyway) so who was the main man to be? The #9? And don't say Adeloye! To make it to April with no players in double figures tells you everything you need to know. Stick that data in your pipe and smoke it.

Jephcott🤣 He came with a decent scoring record from Plymouth

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:34:12 »

He came in after 7 games. I mean who did Sandro/Lindsey plan to be the main man through pre-season and in the early weeks? The answer is there wasn't anyone.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:37:37 »

We started with 2 up front start of the season with McKirdy as one of two so he was the main man.

I agree with you about our options but based on career to date Luke Jephcott should get goals at this level.

We haven’t really played to any strikers strengths all season. Our attacking play has been slow paced all season - apart from the two games under Mad Gav.
I think Haaland might have hit double figures for us but other than that…

…and we all scoffed at the thought of signing Davison in summer - wouldn’t have done much worse but at least put in x10 the effort.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:44:11 »

Davison would.improve us, which is a sorry state of affairs.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1223 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:44:25 »

They clearly recruited for 3-5-2 before the season started with Adoloye one of the 2 up top.
He has all the physical attributes to be the big guy up top, but not much else.

It looked odd at the time considering he'd had 15 clubs in 7 years, very few games played in that time so not really fancied by any of them.   One half decent season at a poor level never looked enough.

To not sign a winger at all knowing Mckirdy was off, was also madness, lots of full backs but no natural attackers to provide pace, flair and threat on the counter.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1224 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 13:55:47 »

…and we all scoffed at the thought of signing Davison in summer - wouldn’t have done much worse but at least put in x10 the effort.

Not all of us

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1225 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 14:01:35 »

Davison would.improve us, which is a sorry state of affairs.
I thought he was pretty decent for a target man at this level.   Very little composure or guile, but chips in with goals, knows how to make it hard for defenders and would have improved us at setpieces at both ends. 

Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 14:04:42 »

It was blindingly obvious that we needed a forward in the squad who could hold a ball up and win a header. Every squad does!

Adeloye started the first league game and hasn't started a single one since then. Was it not clear from minute one in preseason that he wasn't up to the standard? Lindsey clearly never fancied him or he would have played him. So whose signing was he...? And we gave the guy a two year deal!

Every aspect of the recruitment has been a shambles. Looking at the vast majority of the goings in or out and you can find holes in the logic, other than the late arrivals of McEachran and Brewitt. When we sold Ward, what was the plan if Brynn was injured?  Was Cain seriously going to step in for Reed for a late season promotion push? Who replaced Gladwin? If the MacDonald departure wasn't for footballing reasons, why wasn't the club honest about that?

It really makes me angry to be honest. I know that every club at our level says 'the aim is promotion' but this squad was never built for promotion, and Sandro as good as admitted that was the case. More open and transparent than he realised! I'll buy a season ticket as I always do, but the feeling we are being taken for a ride is growing by the week. I suspect Morris feels the same.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1227 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 14:09:25 »

I thought he was pretty decent for a target man at this level.   Very little composure or guile, but chips in with goals, knows how to make it hard for defenders and would have improved us at setpieces at both ends. 

A front two of Davison and Austin could work.
Austin staying up on the last man / in the box and Davison being the work horse.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1228 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 14:18:06 »

It was blindingly obvious that we needed a forward in the squad who could hold a ball up and win a header. Every squad does!

Adeloye started the first league game and hasn't started a single one since then. Was it not clear from minute one in preseason that he wasn't up to the standard? Lindsey clearly never fancied him or he would have played him. So whose signing was he...? And we gave the guy a two year deal!

Every aspect of the recruitment has been a shambles. Looking at the vast majority of the goings in or out and you can find holes in the logic, other than the late arrivals of McEachran and Brewitt. When we sold Ward, what was the plan if Brynn was injured?  Was Cain seriously going to step in for Reed for a late season promotion push? Who replaced Gladwin? If the MacDonald departure wasn't for footballing reasons, why wasn't the club honest about that?

It really makes me angry to be honest. I know that every club at our level says 'the aim is promotion' but this squad was never built for promotion, and Sandro as good as admitted that was the case. More open and transparent than he realised! I'll buy a season ticket as I always do, but the feeling we are being taken for a ride is growing by the week. I suspect Morris feels the same.
It was utterly shit and we could all see gaps, but it's not a conspiracy, they fucked up.

I think they got complacent after we overperformed last season and made the huge mistake of hiring an inexperienced DOF and inexperienced coach who signed players like a kids in a sweetshop.

On top of that, they went in moneyballs deep with a strategy none of the senior management team had seen before.

Once August was done we clearly were fucked for the season and are stuck with some of the crap and imbalance next year.
Jan then compounded it with what seemed to be firesales.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: Sunday, March 26, 2023, 14:23:52 »

And why did we need a fire sale...?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 201   Go Up
Print
Jump to: