Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346295 times)
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #1155 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 11:58:12 »

Glad it isn't just me

I agree with this

This is going to be controversial, but I don't really rate Khan either. He's Lg2, will struggle in Lg1. (in my not very informed opinion)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1156 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:00:31 »

I agree with this

This is going to be controversial, but I don't really rate Khan either. He's Lg2, will struggle in Lg1. (in my not very informed opinion)

I absolutely don't rate Khan as a DM, which is where we have largely tried to play him. Think he could be much better higher up the pitch. Worth keeping as a squad player but agree that he's not good enough for a guaranteed start.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1157 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:02:57 »

I agree with this

Be fine for another season then.

As for RHM he has an air of Alan O'Brien about him, can run really really fast but doesn't seem to have much more than that. FWIW he should have been given longer than he was given last night to cause chaos.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1158 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:06:36 »

I have said this before but of this seasons signings..

Hutton has had a lot more bad games than good, he had a few good games during and before the transfer window opened but had been poor before and after.
I don’t think Darcy, Shade, RHM, Harries, Jephcott and so far Kadji, and Cain are very good.
Clayton, Wakeling, Khan have all shown they have ability, and could be good signings provided injury’s and suspensions don’t interfere.
FBT, Lavinier, Brynn, Tomlinson and Austin are probably the only players I feel are 100% good enough for a side aiming for promotion.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1159 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:11:06 »

Not a bad summation- although I’d add RHM in the ‘could be’ section.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:18:30 »

I absolutely don't rate Khan as a DM, which is where we have largely tried to play him. Think he could be much better higher up the pitch.

Agree with this, there was a game earlier in the season where he was playing this role with Gladwin in a more attacking role where he was truly awful. They then swapped places and Khan looked a completely different player.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:25:56 »

Not a bad summation- although I’d add RHM in the ‘could be’ section.

But you keep saying the team is better than some, like me, give them credit for.  If you agree with the summary then we have less than a teams worth of guaranteed starters, which is just not good enough.

Someone else posted a starting XI at full strength and posted it was good enough to make a go at the play off, which is just not good enough.  That may be a bit Billy big bollocks, but  I really worry we may fester if we keep down the path we started a year ago.  The previous year you give the entire team and club a pass, not this year.

For me, this season is a story of Naivety, right throughout the club.  To think we could just switch to some fancy new method overnight without building the right foundations is a recipe for disaster.  We clearly did not have the right "team" in place Operationally, off the pitch, and then eventually on the pitch.

Reviewing the notes from the AB one that keeps standing out to me is the bringing through and developing young players (the latter we tried to cheat on this season by signing a bunch from outside the club).  You simply cannot hope to achieve that without investment, serious investment.  Look at Crewe - a club we all believe we should be able to be better than.  They spend a fortune on Youth development to achieve what they do in transfer sales and mediocre success between L2 & L1.  A significant amount more than us to maintain their Academy status - which is what you need to be able to fight for the talent and help develop it.  We have a loanee of a Training pitch, a few weights in a corridor in the Arkells and Club Secretary on loan.

If we wanted to play this new game, we needed to build the foundation first.  We didn't and we ended up with an almost entire squad of fancy dan punts.  A load of Academy style didn't quite make its - so they play well in fits and starts, look OK technically, but you get the consistently inconsistent from them.

Take Hutton as an example - if he is a player you add to your squad with a view of giving them minutes and developing them, he is a good signing.  There is something there you can work on, some good attacking instincts, but you are getting some big defensive frailties and the likelihood the gap between his best and worst performance is quite considerable.  Not a player you build a tope 3 team around to start with, yet he is our first choice Right Back and probably one of our better players across the season.  That to me tells me everything and explains why we are where we are.  He is a naïve and a symptom of the naivety above him - Lindsey, Sandro, back room team, training facilities, everything.  Nobody has the experience to hold everyone else to account and lead the way.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:31:57 »

Hutton I don't think is good enough defensively. I'm not sure I'd keep him based on having a good cross.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:34:28 »

A generation ago Hutton is a right winger, he's basically the same player as Jon Paul McGovern.

Would be interested in seeing us with a 4-4-2 with Lavinier behind Hutton and FBT behind Tomlinson, and two decent forwards. I don't think that's a set up we'll ever go for, but I could see a Sturrock style side out of this squad doing alright. Not sure he'd make much of all the powder puff attacking midfielders mind!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1164 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:35:01 »

Shade is bang average for me. Plays ok when used as a sub but dosen't impact a game when playing from the start.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:49:42 »

A generation ago Hutton is a right winger, he's basically the same player as Jon Paul McGovern.

That made me smile, reminds me of my last season playing Sunday football when suddenly everyone decided that full backs had to be wing backs despite all of us not remotely having the agility or fitness to do so, hence my jacking it in.

So much as with Swindon playing to a preconceived system was overruling the ability of the players involved.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1166 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 12:51:03 »

Would be interested in seeing us with a 4-4-2 with Lavinier behind Hutton and FBT behind Tomlinson, and two decent forwards. I don't think that's a set up we'll ever go for, but I could see a Sturrock style side out of this squad doing alright. Not sure he'd make much of all the powder puff attacking midfielders mind!

I'd be really happy with Lavinier and Tomlinson as full backs next season, just so many questions on Lavinier staying fit.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 13:00:45 »

I'd be really happy with Lavinier and Tomlinson as full backs next season, just so many questions on Lavinier staying fit.

...and Tomlinson

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 13:21:17 »

Rob’s point is a good one, particularly the running before you walk.

Brentford are a good pointer for what success you can achieve by flipping rough diamonds. But they didn’t start that way - they got up to the championship and consolidated there with the likes of Alan McCormack and Jonathan Douglas. Put the framework in place and then become more exotic in the transfer market

Things get better but they never get good
DMC

« Reply #1169 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 13:43:26 »

But you keep saying the team is better than some, like me, give them credit for.  If you agree with the summary then we have less than a teams worth of guaranteed starters, which is just not good enough.

Someone else posted a starting XI at full strength and posted it was good enough to make a go at the play off, which is just not good enough.  That may be a bit Billy big bollocks, but  I really worry we may fester if we keep down the path we started a year ago.  The previous year you give the entire team and club a pass, not this year.

For me, this season is a story of Naivety, right throughout the club.  To think we could just switch to some fancy new method overnight without building the right foundations is a recipe for disaster.  We clearly did not have the right "team" in place Operationally, off the pitch, and then eventually on the pitch.

Reviewing the notes from the AB one that keeps standing out to me is the bringing through and developing young players (the latter we tried to cheat on this season by signing a bunch from outside the club).  You simply cannot hope to achieve that without investment, serious investment.  Look at Crewe - a club we all believe we should be able to be better than.  They spend a fortune on Youth development to achieve what they do in transfer sales and mediocre success between L2 & L1.  A significant amount more than us to maintain their Academy status - which is what you need to be able to fight for the talent and help develop it.  We have a loanee of a Training pitch, a few weights in a corridor in the Arkells and Club Secretary on loan.

If we wanted to play this new game, we needed to build the foundation first.  We didn't and we ended up with an almost entire squad of fancy dan punts.  A load of Academy style didn't quite make its - so they play well in fits and starts, look OK technically, but you get the consistently inconsistent from them.

Take Hutton as an example - if he is a player you add to your squad with a view of giving them minutes and developing them, he is a good signing.  There is something there you can work on, some good attacking instincts, but you are getting some big defensive frailties and the likelihood the gap between his best and worst performance is quite considerable.  Not a player you build a tope 3 team around to start with, yet he is our first choice Right Back and probably one of our better players across the season.  That to me tells me everything and explains why we are where we are.  He is a naïve and a symptom of the naivety above him - Lindsey, Sandro, back room team, training facilities, everything.  Nobody has the experience to hold everyone else to account and lead the way.
This post though in 1 sums up getting it right and how hard it is. You want immediate success and say the play offs is bollocks and then by the end of the post think we should be putting the foundations in place
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: