Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall v Swindon Town pre match chat and match day thread.  (Read 50782 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #750 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 09:35:49 »

I just remembered Egbo’s Ramona pass to McKirdy in the second half  - wonderful skill - (Harry volleyed high and wide).
I have never ever seen any player in L1 or L2 even attempt a Rabona pass, ever, some of the whole teams tocuhes at times on Saturday were sublime, loads of backheels and flicked passes without even needing to look up from Payne, Williams and Reed.

If we do gain promotion we NEED to keep Payne and get Egbo tied down to a long deal too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:03:20 »

I have never ever seen any player in L1 or L2 even attempt a Rabona pass, ever, some of the whole teams tocuhes at times on Saturday were sublime, loads of backheels and flicked passes without even needing to look up from Payne, Williams and Reed.

If we do gain promotion we NEED to keep Payne and get Egbo tied down to a long deal too.

Egbo has been a revelation particularly going forward.

I’d be intrigued to know whether we signed him as soon as we could get international clearance or whether he was just training here and we only signed him due to Injuries.

Probably not as good as KKH but a bit more direct and dangerous going forward in a kinda Fola Onibuje type of way.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:05:25 by DiV » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #752 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:15:48 »

Egbo has been a revelation particularly going forward.

I’d be intrigued to know whether we signed him as soon as we could get international clearance or whether he was just training here and we only signed him due to Injuries.

Probably not as good as KKH but a bit more direct and dangerous going forward in a kinda Fola Onibuje type of way.
Its no coincidence that our style of attacking has changed since he came in vs Harrogate.

He gives us a directness that KKH never did and has pace and power.

I loved KKH but his final ball was often really very poor and he was greedy, Egbo isnt'. Egbos final ball has been far more consistant and has several assists already, I also think hes a better defender than KKH is currently and is certainly stronger and more suited to L2 football.

I too think its weird that we didnt seem overly bothered about signing him until we had to due to injuries, but what a signing he has been.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:22:59 »

Its no coincidence that our style of attacking has changed since he came in vs Harrogate.

He gives us a directness that KKH never did and has pace and power.

I loved KKH but his final ball was often really very poor and he was greedy, Egbo isnt'. Egbos final ball has been far more consistant and has several assists already, I also think hes a better defender than KKH is currently and is certainly stronger and more suited to L2 football.

I too think its weird that we didnt seem overly bothered about signing him until we had to due to injuries, but what a signing he has been.

It was fairly common knowledge he was training here and I think most of us were surprised we didn’t sign him in January.

I’m sure in one interview Garner was asked about Egbo and basically said he was training with us to keep himself sharp + it helps with numbers because we had a small squad. Ultimately we were helping to find his next destination…

Then after we signed him in another interview I swear Garner said we were waiting for international clearance because his previous club wasn’t in England.

Obviously both of those (if my memory of what Garner said is true) can’t be true as such
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:24:31 »

I'd imagine the second is true and Garner didn't want anyone else sniffing around him before we got it done.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:24:40 »

Would he be in the team if Hunt never got injured.

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:27:05 »

Would he be in the team if Hunt never got injured.

They way it was presented at the time, he wouldn't have a contract if Hunt hadn't got injured. Of course that may have been different in private as they were sorting international clearance.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 07:58:04 »

That was brilliant by McKirdy - We thought the only reason that wasn’t allowed was the ref made him take the throw from behind rather than in front of the Walsall player (referring to position of the goal line not the way the defender is facing).

I just remembered Egbo’s Ramona pass to McKirdy in the second half  - wonderful skill - (Harry volleyed high and wide).

That would probably have been the best goal I'd ever seen... but it wasn't...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 08:21:05 »

That would probably have been the best goal I'd ever seen... but it wasn't...

I asked this on Twitter, but can we agree that is the first rabona in the competitive history of STFC? 

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #759 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 08:27:24 »

I asked this on Twitter, but can we agree that is the first rabona in the competitive history of STFC? 
It was certainly the first I can remember, not sure if the great Sir Glen would maybe have done so at some point as he had done similar for Spurs in the past.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 08:40:05 »

It was certainly the first I can remember, not sure if the great Sir Glen would maybe have done so at some point as he had done similar for Spurs in the past.

When and where was it invented? By a Mr Rabona I presume? And above all, in the name of all that's holy, why??

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #761 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 08:48:13 »

When and where was it invented? By a Mr Rabona I presume? And above all, in the name of all that's holy, why??

The first filmed rabona was performed by Brazilian footballer Pelé in the São Paolo state championship in 1957. Giovanni "Cocò" Roccotelli is credited with popularising the rabona in Italy during the 1970s; at the time, this move was simply called a "crossed-kick" (incrociata, in Italian)

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 08:48:16 »

I would have thought DJ would have been the sort of player to have attempted/pulled off a rabona during a Swindon game surely?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 09:02:44 »

vague recollection of seeing Darren Bullock try one once.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2022, 09:09:31 »

imagine a team with Darren Bullock, Steve Foley, Steve McMahon, Brian Williams, Sol Davis & John Gittens😀

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: