Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bristol City with financial "issues"  (Read 2055 times)
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 11:19:07 »

I've always disliked Bristol City and when we beat them, it brings more joy than beating Oxford. In truth though, the dislike was based in no small way on jealousy because, for the first 20 years I was watching football, we were on a parallel trajectory, albeit I can't remember them winning much at Wembley  or being in the Premier League. The grounds were in a similar state, then.

Since 1993/4 they have developed a nice ground, got a decent (ish) side and a decent commercial side to their operation. Despite this, they lost £38.4m last year, which is quite a lot of money. My jealously is diminishing!

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 11:33:14 »

They will be fine until something happens to Lansdown.

If his family (or whoever takes over) don’t share his passion for Bristol sport want the loans repaid they will then be up shit creek
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 11:33:32 »

The other thing they got was a billionaire owner and we carried on with our succession of wide boys and fly-by-nights.

I’d guess, all things being equal, we’ll be playing them in the league the season after next.

We’ll also have a clearer picture as to whether Clem can make good on his promises.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 12:50:36 »

More or less the whole championship is a financial train wreck at the moment, the lure of the Premier League leads to people doing daft things.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 13:28:14 »

I would put the divergence at bit later than 93-94. Remember we bought the Chief off them for £500K in summer of 95 and won the league that year.

I think the turning point was 05/06. Both of us were in the bottom 4 in League 1 and we even beat them at home in the November to close the gap. They brought in Gary Johnson as manager and pulled away whereas we sold Rory Fallon and were doomed.

It is funny they've spent £100M's and not got near what our 89-90 or 92-93 achieved in winning promotion to the top flight. The closest they got was being undone by Dean Windass in 2008 play off final.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 13:35:48 »

It is funny they've spent £100M's and not got near what our 89-90 or 92-93 achieved in winning promotion to the top flight. The closest they got was being undone by Dean Windass in 2008 play off final.
Something many Shitty fans seem to ignore, that we ACTUALLY won promotion to the top flight twice and none seem to even acknowledge that we are an ex Premier League side albeit for 1 season, something they have never achieved, their last venture to the top flight happened 42 years ago.

Yet teams considered smaller clubs in recent history than Shitty have got promotion to the top flight, Bournemouth, Brentford, Huddersfield, Blackpool etc.

It does show that throwing shit loads of money at a problem doesn't always work.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 14:02:48 »

Something many Shitty fans seem to ignore, that we ACTUALLY won promotion to the top flight twice and none seem to even acknowledge that we are an ex Premier League side albeit for 1 season, something they have never achieved, their last venture to the top flight happened 42 years ago.

Yet teams considered smaller clubs in recent history than Shitty have got promotion to the top flight, Bournemouth, Brentford, Huddersfield, Blackpool etc.

It does show that throwing shit loads of money at a problem doesn't always work.

You’re right there. When we went up we were the epitomie of that. Mind you, it told the following season.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 14:26:04 »

But this is Bristol City 1982 Ltd, and they have never been in the top flight Wink

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 14:28:40 »

But this is Bristol City 1982 Ltd, and they have never been in the top flight Wink

Ah very true!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 16:15:03 »

The Bournemouth's and Brentfords all spent money to get to the Premier League, they just spent it more effectively.

The problem for City is they don't have the big money of clubs with parachute payments to push for promotion seriously nor do they want to be a League 1/Championship yoyo club like Peterborough or Rotherham who live within their means a bit more.

Of course the expectations of a lot of their fans is higher as they sit in their shiny new ground every other Saturday. Without the money Lansdown has thrown at it for 20 years they would be easily be in League Two with Rovers and us.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 16:26:01 »

Luton, Millwall and maybe Coventry are all holding their own in the Championship. I’d say Luton are closest to us in club terms. How long they can maintain it is another matter. But as long as there are clubs unsuccessfully throwing huge money at it there will always be a spot for a sensibly run club.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: