Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I can't take it anymore...  (Read 10822 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 14:46:22 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
I do think that if results don't improve King won't be given much longer. The idea that the board would never sack him is not true,  he has just always managed to turn it around at crucial points, something we should be thankful for as he has then gone on to prove why sacking him would have been a mistake.

I am grateful that he wasn't sacked back in 2002/2003 or after the run of defeats in 2003/2004 because otherwise that season would never have been as enjoyable it was.

I do believe that we are more than capable of turning around the form of the last 3 games but I feel we are reaching a crucial point and don't expect King to still be manager in a months time.

I only hope that the predictions that attendances and results will improve don't turn out to be wildly optimistic but I fear they will.

I've always said that the only way we will go down this year is if King leaves during the year and for the first time I think we may well get relegated now. I just can't see whoever's appointed keeping us up. Crying

I can't stand the thought but it feels like we're going the way of 1999/2000 again, it could have been so different,we were so close. My feelings would basically summed up as we are fucked and it fucking hurts me to say it.

I asked for someone to convince me we'd get someone decent in but no-one has.Sad

My opinion of what would happen  is a lot of people would odviously initially be very happy that King was sacked and in the short term attendances may increase. My fear is that the board will appoint someone useless, due to finances, not having enough fooballing knowledge to appoint someone decent and their past track record.

I expect most fans would then say well anyone's better than King right....but if results didn't improve and I doubt they really would attendances would soon drop off again.

My only hope is that the players we currently have would be enough to stave off relegation as we do have some decent players.

The worry is when the next manager is given the task of bringing in some new players. I just hope they are capable of making some decent signings on this kind of budget. If we get someone as clueless as Gorman that's it. Fuck I hope we get lucky. If it's Reeves  or Iffy then good luck to them but any more than relegation would be a surprise.

The thing we really need is some good news from the council to give us some hope.

Adje asked for the disadvantages of a new manager. Well really there are too many to list but I'll give a few and try not to depress myself too much.

Sandy Gray would be in charge of appointing the new manager. Enough said.

It is entirely possible and in fact highly likely that the new manager would make us do a lot worse than we are doing now.

It's odds on the board are likely to go for the cheap option, appointing Reeves or similar who really isn't suitable.

Attendances will only decrease unless results pick up.

We will be taking a gamble, not a small gamble one that could cost the future of the club.

Stay away fans will just find another excuse, probably the next manager. Fools like lifetime red will simply switch to moaning about the new manager after a week. Nothing will change there.

No change to our real problems, we'll still be in the shit financially, our chief executive still won't have a clue, the council won't be any less likely to block any of our plans.

There are loads more but I tried to stick just to a few facts. The last two are things that will not change but some people expect to.

Anyway bring on the new era. Sad

Ben you are a guy who is passionate about the Town and someone whose opinion I respect.You consruct a decent argument but I would just like to add a few comments about your"disadvantages".I really cant believe that the Board would give Ms.Gray 100% jurisdiction on a new appointment.
Yes it is possible that a new man might be worse-but I reckon highly unlikely.He would have to continually pick players out of position;persist with totally unsuitable systems and fail to get the best out of what is agreed is a decent squad of players-oh and he would waste time and money by signing players like Gurney(admittedly thats just my opinion)
If the new man WAS reeves-would that be such a bad thing?A man who has proved himself to be 100%Swindon,a respected man in football with many contacts and a man familiar with the currnt players.Oh how people laughed when we appointed Macari,Ossie and Hoddle as managers!
Ithink it would be a massive gamble to hope that King eventually gets it right.
The other 2 points I totally agree with.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 16:02:29 »

Quote from: "adje"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
you can't just fire out 12 or so players and replace them with cheap alternatives and expect to get anywhere.

Reg what makes you think 12 players will leave as soon as King goes?Or have I read it wrong?

I think Reg is on about the players that left in the summer.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 16:13:39 »

Southend are currently 6th in the table, Walsall are just outside the playoffs, as our Tranmere, Barnsley and Oldham are also decent sides and Nottingham Forest are also very likely to recover.

Are you seriously telling me, that all the sides we have played are good? and we have the rubbish ones to come?

None of the sides we've played have been brilliant, and I know this isnt the point at all, but the Swindon Team of two years ago would have beaten them all rather easily....
Spud

« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 16:40:22 »

The only side i rate out of the ones we have played are Tranmere.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 16:59:55 »

Quote from: "Spuddy_STFC"
The only side i rate out of the ones we have played are Tranmere.

If you went to the match, youd probably say differently
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 17:04:40 »

Both games against the Trannies last season I thought they were punching above their weight - wasn't impressed.

The only thing they had going for them was that they were organised (something we could desperately do with, granted) and were big guys, I didn't go this term but I've heard they are more lightweight, and are of course without Hume now.
Piemonte

« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:06:40 »

Quote from: "DV85"
Southend are currently 6th in the table, Walsall are just outside the playoffs, as our Tranmere, Barnsley and Oldham are also decent sides and Nottingham Forest are also very likely to recover.

Are you seriously telling me, that all the sides we have played are good? and we have the rubbish ones to come?

None of the sides we've played have been brilliant, and I know this isnt the point at all, but the Swindon Team of two years ago would have beaten them all rather easily....

total bollocks. we still went on losing streaks even with a good team
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:09:00 »

Quote from: "Piemonte"
Quote from: "DV85"

total bollocks. we still went on losing streaks even with a good team

Yes, but it wasnt like we were ever playing really awful. It wasnt like he we didnt have players capable of a bit of magic.....

Yes, we went on a bad run, but we didnt lose to shite week in and week out....
Red

« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:33:36 »

King is not up to the task tactically, that is currently,  and has been clearly evident since he has been at the club.
Woan should be given the job, he has done well with the youths, and I;d like to see him in.
I never rated Reeves as a player, and I think he is too close to King, and would not like him to be appointed manager, as I feel that this would be a sideways movement instead of a forwards one.
Woan is young, has done well, albeit with limited experience, and would unite the fans,  and is ambitious enough to make people stand up and take note.
Kings time is now and slipping fast, and I feel hes taken us as far as he can.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:34:41 »

Stuff that, Woan should still be playing central midfield!!!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:41:28 »

Not really dv85, we played awful regularly just like most teams do, remember we were 15th at Christmas.

We lost to Wycombe who were bottom in the cup, we lost to stockport who were in the relegation zone. We lost to peterborough who were near the bottom but in the end we did very well.

We certainly did play really awful at times and you certainly thought so.

Here's one of your posts from April 2005

We will not make the play offs unless we sort out our defence, if you look at all the top 14 teams I think only one team has a worse defencive record than us, even if you look further down at the posh who we played today they have a better defencive record than us. They are fighting relegation and we are pushing for promotion.

Our defence is very poor and we always look like conceding, we all knew Jerel Ifil was only going to be a short term fix and when his loan spells ended we nevere replaced the void he left at the back. We need to sort this sooner rather than later otherwise I can see us dropping out of the play offs come the end of the season

As for King, I think up untill the last few weeks he has been doing a good job, now hes lost me.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:44:16 »

Not really dv85, we played awful regularly just like most teams do, remember we were 15th at Christmas.

We lost to Wycombe who were bottom in the cup, we lost to stockport who were in the relegation zone. We lost to peterborough who were near the bottom but in the end we did very well.

We certainly did play really awful at times and you certainly thought so.

Here's one of your posts from April 2005

We will not make the play offs unless we sort out our defence, if you look at all the top 14 teams I think only one team has a worse defencive record than us, even if you look further down at the posh who we played today they have a better defencive record than us. They are fighting relegation and we are pushing for promotion.

Our defence is very poor and we always look like conceding, we all knew Jerel Ifil was only going to be a short term fix and when his loan spells ended we nevere replaced the void he left at the back. We need to sort this sooner rather than later otherwise I can see us dropping out of the play offs come the end of the season

As for King, I think up untill the last few weeks he has been doing a good job, now hes lost me.

....and did we not sort out the defence, by bringing Ifil back on loan? or even Sean O'Hanlon on a permenant deal?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:46:43 »

That was after we'd signed Sean O'Hanlon and when Ifil had finished his last loan spell. Point is we didn't play well all the time but we pulled through and finished the season in a very good position.
Red

« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:47:27 »

Well if needs be Woan can get out on the pitch until he can devise/purchase a captain for us (and NOT Gurney)
Those 3 are the 3 muskateers, King, Reeves and Gurney! The sooner we are shot of them the better!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 19:49:10 »

That was after we'd signed Sean O'Hanlon and when Ifil had finished his last loan spell. Point is we didn't play well all the time but we pulled through and finished the season in a very good position.

Again, that quote only says we had a poor defence, it didnt say we played poorly, it didnt say we were out played. It didnt say we went down without a fight. It didnt say we didnt look dangerous going forward, it didnt say we couldnt cross for shit, it didnt say we werent capable of scoring. It didnt say players were out of position etc
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: