Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21520 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #255 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 09:03:42 »

Not much about the game on the Colchester forum.

Another dreadful game to watch.
I genuinely have always liked Nouble but it’s time to try something else.
He clearly isn’t comfortable challenging strong centre backs and hardly wins any flick ons, nor does he possess the ability to take the ball from chest to feet and lay it off. If the manager can’t find a place in the formation that suits him where he can run at defenders, then it’s time to drop him.

Swindon had the better of the chances, including one guilt edged miss late on, so no one could complain if they had taken all 3 points.

A point at Swindon is excellent. If we could win at home we wouldn’t be complaining as we’d be close to the top. As we all know, as do the management, it’s the home form and tactics that need to be sorted and sorted quickly.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 09:08:32 »

I thought we were good, played good football, deserved to win, but couldn’t score. Some wayward finishing, some poor movement in the box, some poor decision making at key attacking moments cost us the win.

I don’t agree with the negativity on here one bit.
Pretty much agree with this really !
Seems like a few very short memories surfacing !
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 09:10:19 »

So, let’s leave the moaning and groaning to one side.

Do people think maintaining the present style of play will improve just by dint of playing it more often or do some personnel need to change/be replaced?

I think it will improve by fact of playing it more but feel those improvements might just be more possession and more passing. I think familiarity will breed more attacking play (second half yesterday being an example compared to say the second half against Port Vale) but repetition won’t improve the pace or incisiveness imo

Does the ‘style’ just need tweaking or a more emphatic change?

It needs a minor tweak but more importantly we need a plan b and the ability to mix it up.

Does anyone think Garner is capable/interested in changing one little bit?

Probably too early to say but my gut instinct right now is no.
He has no plans to deviate from what we’ve seen so far. I think Rovers fans said similar about his tenure there.

Who on earth could we bring in in January that would massively improve us given the style remains exactly the same?

Realistically maybe a speedy ball carrier might help. Even if they have little end product. Just getting us 20 yards further up the pitch at speed *might* help. If they could play the pacey striker off of Simpson as well even better. I guess the best realistic like for like comparison I can think of is Woolery.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 09:28:43 »

As the second half yesterday proved, we can play that style, just need to do so at s quicker tempo.

It has two benefits, we look more dangerous and the crowd get into the game a bit more.

Is it possible/likely that we can’t keep that up for 90 mins so we see the slow and fairly dull football in the first half?
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 10:34:59 »

My thoughts of it and the season so far.
When we pass the with tempo we cut teams open as proved yesterday, the goal against Mansfield, spells during the Vale defeat up at Scunny.
However if we don't score from our good spells of possession it all reverts to slow and deliberate and allow the opposition a way back in the game.
How many timea yesterday were people shouting for a shot from outside the box yet when we did it was wayward and the inevitable groans creep in.
Our football only looks good at pace, we look like a mistake is in us when we piss about at the back then the long punt is needed to clear the decks because we played ourselves in to a tight spot.
Teams know that we play about with it they press us hard and yet we don't seem to do the same for long periods of the match.
A decent side will punish us down to putting ourselves under pressure and, we will struggle to score or even break teams down if we continue at walking speed.

In all, I thought yesterday was a good game, we should have won it but missed chances cost us 3 points.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 11:33:53 »

We could have Harry Kane upfront but if we don’t attack with any pace and intent he isn’t going to score many.

Sure, in an ideal world we’d have more options than just Simpson but I don’t think that’s the main issue here nor our finances that keep getting bought into it.

So the chances we have created in the last few games that Simpson has missed and good strikers create more chances.

The finance is key here, we are limited to £1,300 a week, what good striker are we going to sign for that?
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 13:18:01 »

It’s hard to break down most away teams in this division, including us when we travel. Only 2 home wins yesterday.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 15:06:22 »

Have we already had more clean sheets this season than last season?
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #263 on: Sunday, September 26, 2021, 20:04:20 »

I’m raging! Two defeats in nine and three points off second.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 08:33:33 »

Before I read back on the matchday thread I'll give my thoughts from Saturday.

At the moment we seem like a 'nearly team'. I personally thought we played very well especially in the second half but I thought Colchester were very poor and for me it was 2 points dropped. Some of our play was very very good, but conversely a lot of our play in the final third was extremely frustrating. Crichlow and Conroy look like they are forming a decent CB partnership and KKH looks comfortable on the right. Iandolo I think is improving but his end product is patchy at best. Reed and Payne in the midfield continue to buzz around and look to probe openings and Gilbert takes up good positions. I like that we now look to Simpson more at times, he is very strong and holds the ball up well and works bloody hard. Such a shame his one big chance ended up just over the bar, he deserved the goal for effort alone. Gladwin still frustrates at times but definitely has the ability to unlock defences.

I guess the way we play is still quite 'safe', it's very fluid in the final third with the movement of Payne and Reed looking to drag players out of position. I think we still need to move the ball quicker. A lot of the slow passing means players look static and makes it easy to defend. The fact that Tranmere (who looked pretty good) and Colchester (who didn't) have gone away with clean sheets definitely suggests we have work to do to make us more dangerous. I don't think we're too far away but currently we are probably only a top 10 side until we 'click'

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 08:39:56 »

can't disagree with that Bob.

The tweaks to speed of attack (with extra risk) is preferable to safe 'keep ball' for me.

I do think we need to mix it up a bit, and I'm still disappointed we haven't got an option to help Simpson up top though
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 09:00:40 »

can't disagree with that Bob.

The tweaks to speed of attack (with extra risk) is preferable to safe 'keep ball' for me.

I do think we need to mix it up a bit, and I'm still disappointed we haven't got an option to help Simpson up top though

I wonder if Williams in for Gladwin might have seen that increase of pace. Sadly he appears to have knacked himself. McKirdy possibly as the 'wildcard' might also be beneficial in the side?

One thing I have noticed from matchday threads is the way we are playing is polarising the fanbase at the moment.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 09:04:52 »

Williams is only concussion, he’s fine but the protocol meant he couldn’t play on Saturday - so he should be fine for this coming Saturday.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #268 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 09:20:20 »

Summed up my frustration today.
It was begging to be changed.
Out of interest what would you have done to change it. I think the lack of personnel at the moment is really showing when it comes to changing the game
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 10:00:57 »

Garner has 22 players to choose from - the 18 from the matchday squad on Saturday plus Grant, Williams, McKirdy and Lyden. The problem is that too many of the ‘attacking’ players are all very similar. Not enough variety.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: