Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Emma Raducanu  (Read 18571 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 07:20:46 »

I confess, I didn't watch the match as the intricacies of tennis elude me somewhat. However, it is clear that this is a special achievement and Emma Raducanu is an immense talent.

I had a look at the HYS comments on the BBC website as they always offer a thoughtful and well balanced analysis of world news and sporting events. Sadly, it appears that most if the bandwidth was taken up by commentary on what constitutes 'Britishness'.  Quite sad really.
You really didn't need to know anything about the intricacies of tennis to enjoy that match. A complete layman (as I am in tennis terms, I know the scoring system and that's about it) could have appreciated the amazing shots both players made, the grit, determination, will to win and simple, fundamental fact that they were hitting the ball as hard as fuck.

But to your point, it is indeed very sad that her Britishness is even up for debate. The way the world is these days, a lot more factors come in to play than parents' nationality and place of birth. It's really not that black and white. There is no doubt in my mind certainly about her 'Britishness'...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 07:37:33 »

if you question here Britishness, then you surely do the same to the bozo running the county
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:21:31 »

Not a tennis fan but watched the final. Really enjoyed it. She's been here since 2 years old, she's British.
I thought both girls were very classy in their post match comments.
I'm struggling to think of a bigger sporting surprise in my lifetime. Greece winning the euros? Honeygan beating curry?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:31:42 »

Becker winning Wimbledon for the first time might be comparable in tennis terms

Nothing to see here
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:43:21 »

I think we forget how blindingly unlikely Leicester winning the Prem was, simply because they've been quite competent but not the same level since, but that is the high water mark for incredible runs in recent years.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 11:15:01 »

First qualifier, male or female, to win a major ever. In all of human history

That she did that without losing a set in any game, and only going to 7 games in a set once, is frankly a bit bonkers.

Not a tennis fan (will go back to ignoring it completely again now), but the achievement and the way it’s been achieved genuinely seems like one of the all time sporting moments. And all that by an 18 year old, who played her first professional tournament in July

Things get better but they never get good
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 11:18:27 »

Are we allowed to say that she’s fit now that it’s over? Bloody lovely to look at.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 13:07:04 »

Somebody posted the front page of the Daily Express on facebook, one side saying "no more immigrants", the other praising her. Odd that some people just don't the irony of printing such dross

I come from a land down-under
Hunk

« Reply #68 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 13:16:53 »

Still buzzing. I really only got into tennis because of Andy Murray and while a few have flattered to deceive over this era, we’ve not really had anybody who could realistically match his talent until now. Really looking forward to getting behind Raducanu while her career progresses now.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 20:30:33 »

Not a tennis fan but watched the final. Really enjoyed it. She's been here since 2 years old, she's British.
I thought both girls were very classy in their post match comments.
I'm struggling to think of a bigger sporting surprise in my lifetime. Greece winning the euros? Honeygan beating curry?

Denmark won the Euro's and didn't even qualify for it.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 10:42:28 »

The press make me laugh.

If she was born in Canada but represented Germany then the headline would have been 'Canadian born German wins US open'.  No sign of this with her representing England/GB though.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 11:00:00 »

You know that for sure? There's a lot of British sports stars not born in the UK.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 11:23:35 »

Half of the England cricket team were born abroad - it’s never mentioned.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 12:14:00 »

Flashheart

« Reply #74 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 12:27:02 »

I'm sure that them using a picture of a different person who just happens to have darker skin was an honest mistake!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: