Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 837   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1192174 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3870 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 09:56:49 »

I think the problem with our Academy has always been that the real standout talent gets poached before they get anywhere near the first team.

I can’t remember who it was that said/posted the quote from someone that said most youth age group teams are run because there’s one player there that is likely to make it, and often they already know who that player is so the others are really just there to enable his development.

There’s always exceptions (like Ian Wright) but that being the case we have usually lost ours before they get to an age where they are getting pro deals

I guess localish clubs like Brighton, Southampton the London clubs etc have such a huge scouting resource that they are able to send people to clubs like ourselves and are easily able to spot the players who are still developing as children that have a chance of making it as a professional footballer.

It's up to us to try and make Swindon the place for local kids to feel that they have a real chance of making it. If a kid is approached by say Brighton, the parents are highly unlikely to keep them at Swindon. That's going to take years to change but if we can create a consistently successful youth team year on year, then that culture shift may just happen.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #3871 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 09:58:15 »

Dont listen too much to the negative Neils on Twitter Batch, they'll get you down!

Whilst i think its fair to say our Academy over the decade or so hasn't produced much to write home about, there are positive signs that Jamie Russell seems to be working a bit of magic and the youngsters reached a cup final and the noises appear to be very good.

I suspect Jamie Russell is going to Oz to work with someone over there to try and 'mirror' what he's doing over here. I don't think I've an issue with it really, why not use the contacts Clem has over in Australia to benefit us?

I think Clem was quite explicit that he wanted to give young talent in Oz the opportunity to make it in England, so there is clearly a recruitment plan being formed. Not sure I approve in principle of nicking the better players from overseas at our level, but in practice, we may well benefit.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3872 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 10:11:35 »

I think Clem was quite explicit that he wanted to give young talent in Oz the opportunity to make it in England, so there is clearly a recruitment plan being formed. Not sure I approve in principle of nicking the better players from overseas at our level, but in practice, we may well benefit.

Sadly the Aussie football league is years behind as was the USA. The best way these teams can develop their domestic leagues is to import end of life top players, send their young talent abroad and develop their own talent into a structured regime. Which is what is happening. We’re dipping our toes as a bottom feeder into this lucrative untapped pool.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3873 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 10:11:46 »

The club have to send you a banking link to pay in full.
Once you get it, very easy.
Pain at first, call them and they sort it out very quickly.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, I’ll do that Monday.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #3874 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 10:20:01 »

Sadly the Aussie football league is years behind as was the USA. The best way these teams can develop their domestic leagues is to import end of life top players, send their young talent abroad and develop their own talent into a structured regime. Which is what is happening. We’re dipping our toes as a bottom feeder into this lucrative untapped pool.

Agreed. Look at the success of some of the J League exports at Celtic and Hearts. If we can get the jump on an untapped market using our Australian chairman then why not? Obviously we need to massively improve our own academy and get our own players through the system but if we can do both, then happy days.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3875 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 10:24:36 »

Agreed. Look at the success of some of the J League exports at Celtic and Hearts. If we can get the jump on an untapped market using our Australian chairman then why not? Obviously we need to massively improve our own academy and get our own players through the system but if we can do both, then happy days.

Exactly, similarly a certain chappie is doing something along those lines in Pakistan I believe…
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3876 on: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 13:28:30 »

Quote from: DMC
Yeah they shouldn't bother

because that's exactly what I said

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3877 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:21:08 »

Wrexham CEO has stated their Turnover is now £20m! Ours is about £6m. Bradford’s £8.5m. Where the fuck can they get the extra £14m from?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3878 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:23:59 »

Wrexham CEO has stated their Turnover is now £20m! Ours is about £6m. Bradford’s £8.5m. Where the fuck can they get the extra £14m from?

Sponsorship that can be seen on Netflix with Ryan Reynolds face on it is worth quite a lot more than we get, I suspect. And I imagine Wrexham shirt sales overseas dwarf any side outside the Prem.

The Wrexham "model" is pretty FFP proof... right up until the guys aren't involved any more.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3879 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:25:40 »

I read somewhere they sold 8000 shirts in one day!

There’s a huge amount of schadenfreude building up for Wrexham.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #3880 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:25:59 »

Sponsorship, merchandise and income from the documentary on Disney I guess? I know they are doing a pre-season tour in the states, not sure whether that actually brings any lolly in or not.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3881 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:28:01 »

They apparently have sold in excess of 25,000 shirts in the USA alone this season, probably something to do with it and the income from massive sponsorship deals.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3882 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:31:53 »

They apparently have sold in excess of 25,000 shirt sin the USA alone this season, probably something to do with it and the income from massive sponsorship deals.

I suspect if it continues to grow it will flip over to being one of those deals where the manufacturer pays them a fortune and Wrexham actually don't get much on each sale ala PL deals, not the shirry ones clubs at this level normally get with a template shirt and having to guess how many we need.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3883 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 09:50:48 »

I suspect if it continues to grow it will flip over to being one of those deals where the manufacturer pays them a fortune and Wrexham actually don't get much on each sale ala PL deals, not the shirry ones clubs at this level normally get with a template shirt and having to guess how many we need.
I read somewhere last week that more Americans "on the street" know who Wrexham are than know who Man City are, based purely off the back of that TV prog.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3884 on: Friday, June 16, 2023, 10:11:49 »

I read somewhere last week that more Americans "on the street" know who Wrexham are than know who Man City are, based purely off the back of that TV prog.

I have written before about my enforced hour in Wrexham the other month and the loads of people taking pictures of the ground and the groups of septics on the station and trains in shirts hats etc.

I wonder how long Macron have got the contract for, they seem to have been doing it for a few years so they have rather hit the jackpot!
« Last Edit: Friday, June 16, 2023, 12:19:38 by horlock07 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 837   Go Up
Print
Jump to: