Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The good old days  (Read 8539 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 18:23:36 »

Great post and a very enjoyable read Clap

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:02:26 »

Coate play park is a mess. The pool filled in for a crappy water park. The path around the rear of the lake is a disgrace. The pitch and putt is going to shit.
Agree about most of the points but tbf they resurfaced the path in Dec/Jan, have you not been since? Or is it that resurfacing you're objecting to? And while the facilities have generally declined Coate Water is still a lovely country park IMO
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:04:47 »

Society is a never ending cycle of every generation/age group claiming it was better back in their day.

Your day ended. Deal with it Too Cool
I tell you what though, the old people moaning about how things were better back in their day did it so much better when I was a kid than old people do now. Old people now are shit at nostalgic moaning, no bite to it all, they've all gone soft.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:28:39 »

Yes, nostalgia isn’t what it used to be...

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:34:13 »

Agree about most of the points but tbf they resurfaced the path in Dec/Jan, have you not been since? Or is it that resurfacing you're objecting to? And while the facilities have generally declined Coate Water is still a lovely country park IMO

I've not been for a while as found it too busy and a quagmire around the back. Glad to hear they've done the path. I'll gladly stand corrected on that point. I also agree it's still a lovely park as they haven't destroyed the lake and surrounding trees yet. Just everything else there Wink
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:40:29 »

I think we remember this way because the good bits stick with you more than the bad - as good as Clarkson/May/Hammond wehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0N0rcwUUre as a trio for a few years, Top Gear went through a lot of other presenting line ups first that were crap (Jez something?) and C/M/H were getting pretty tired towards the end. Similarly, 606 was great under Baker but that same show also spent a period of time being presented by David fucking Mellor.

Some of the best things in life have a shelf life. That said, if they cancelled Kermode & Mayo I'd probably kick off.

I knew Mellor was famous for something😀

* IMG_3576.PNG (251.85 KB, 987x1235 - viewed 219 times.)

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:46:52 »

Top Gear is probably better now than the 'good old days'.

To be fair I'm enjoying this evenings Top Gear and the first time I've seen this new line up

So, give no fucks
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:50:45 »

606 went down the toilet when Mellor arrived. From innovative to establishment over a weekend.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 19:59:00 »

Society is a never ending cycle of every generation/age group claiming it was better back in their day.

Your day ended. Deal with it Too Cool

I certainly don't thing that everything in the old days but some things definitely were.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 20:08:19 »

Some may argue families were happier back in the day watching their black & white TV with 2/3 channels with no remote and finishing around midnight, having an outside toilet, no fridge freezer just a cold scullery, having to use a phone box to make a phone call, no big supermarket shop just a walk to the grocery store, only the man of the house employed, no central heating or double glazing, washing done in a twin tub and spun in a spin dryer on a Monday!
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 20:22:21 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 07:18:16 »

Now you're bringing back memories, funny how we only seem to remember the better days, perhaps they wer'nt as good as we thought they were !

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #41 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 07:26:15 »

Things aren't as bad as some like to make out. I am suprised we have not had a 'we could leave our front door open for hours' comment yet
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:07:52 »

Some may argue families were happier back in the day watching their black & white TV with 2/3 channels with no remote and finishing around midnight, having an outside toilet, no fridge freezer just a cold scullery, having to use a phone box to make a phone call, no big supermarket shop just a walk to the grocery store, only the man of the house employed, no central heating or double glazing, washing done in a twin tub and spun in a spin dryer on a Monday!

My take on this is this. When (choose whatever decade you think refers to ‘your’ own good old days era) in my case I’m talking the 70’s for instance they were the good old days. My reasoning is that what we had, did and the world around us was the norm and much more straight forward. We could not afford much, we didn’t desire much, I didn’t think we needed much, life was in many ways simpler with more freedoms. Today in comparison it would appear we have everything, except we don’t. Sure we have more of everything and less of other things but back in the day we didn’t know any different and today I doubt we’re any happier. It is a tough one to measure then with now. I subscribe to the notion that the more you have or give, the more you want or have to give. A bit like comparing STFC of 1969 to our premier league team, I just don’t think you can. In fifty years time this argument if you will, will still be a conundrum to consider.

Edited for shyte gramma.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:56:55 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:49:25 »

No surprise for you all to learn that I grew up in East Devon. 'The good old days' were when the sun shone, the grass had been cut, and the air was warm and balmy in the evenings, that memory will live with me for ever. But, it's wet, often it is wet, and very wet. Oh, and it can be windy, very windy. There are plenty of 'chocolate box' villages, cream teas, caravans stuck in country lanes, and cows. I feckin hate the accent, couldn't give a shit whether the cream went on first or not, and I hated the fact that you seemed cut off from the world, miles from anywhere, because, well it is. It is also chockfull of retirees (especially in Torquay hee hee).

The Cup away trip to Norwich was an absolute nightmare by coach, west to east see, still have them about that particular trip. Sunderland was better, south to north, but heck what a trek that was. I know Plymuff has it worse, but time has stopped still down there, no calendars or clocks, and they don't even notice long journeys.

I love Swindon, especially its location, its accent, there's a kind of westcountry burr/cockney mix thing going on, and has far fewer cows and pensioners, always a bonus. Cotwolds to the north, Downs to the south, pop to Wales, Bath or the smoke and think nothing of it. Bliss.

Went to watch Purton v Redhouse yesterday in the Cricklade Cup, cracking little village, sun shining, brilliant views of the countryside, I really felt at home, just like the good old days.

My old man is from Devon, grew up in North Tawton. I think Devon is a lovely place. I agree with what you say about Swindon, great location and some lovely places on the doorstep. The town could do with a polish, but then there's a lot of places like that.
I sometimes think what it would be like to live up north, like chalkies, and live Cumbria but just feel it's a little remote from the rest of my world.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:51:34 by 4D » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:51:58 »

My take on this is this. When (choose whatever decade you think refers to ‘your’ own good old days era) in my case I’m talking 70’s for stance they were the good old days. My reasoning is that what we had, did and the world around us was the norm. We could not afford much, we didn’t desire much, I don’t we needed much, life was in many ways simpler with more freedoms. Today in comparison it would appear we have everything, except we don’t. Sure we have more of everything and less of other things but back in the day we didn’t know any different and today I doubt we’re any happier. It is a tough one to measure then with now. I subscribe to the notion that the more you have or give, the more you want or have to give. A bit like comparing STFC of 1969 to our premier league team, I just don’t think you can. In fifty years time this argument if you will will will still be a conundrum to consider.

Good post LL. My era was also in the 70's and like you we never had much but always seemed happy and content.Now we live in a materialistic era where it's all about showing off what you have no matter whether can afford it or not a s it does make you wonder how the world will look in 50 years time.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: