Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The good old days  (Read 8541 times)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:36:47 »

There's plenty of decent play parks where I live and they've been packed today by all ages. Also Coate, Lydiard, Mouldon, Stanton are lovely places to walk around as well as smaller parks like Queens Park and the Town Gardens close to the centre of Town. I agree the leisure facilities aren't so good but that's more to do with pandemic over the last year or so.

Most of the estate parks have gone or are disrepair. Queens park is not the place it was. It used to be pristine. Coate play park is a mess. The pool filled in for a crappy water park. The path around the rear of the lake is a disgrace. The pitch and putt is going to shit. Granted we still have some nice places as you mention but they're few now. The pandemic has fuck all to do with the leisure facilities going to pot. They've been on the slide for years.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:38:19 by Arriba » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:40:21 »

Most of the estate parks have gone or are disrepair. Queens park is not the place it was. It used to be pristine. Coate play park is a mess. The pool filled in for a crappy water park. The path around the rear of the lake is a disgrace. The pitch and putt is going to shit. Granted we still have some nice places as you mention but they're few now.

I'm guessing local councils are skint and can't afford to maintain the things that you've mentioned

So, give no fucks
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:42:09 »

Society is a never ending cycle of every generation/age group claiming it was better back in their day.

Your day ended. Deal with it Too Cool

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:49:33 »

I'm guessing local councils are skint and can't afford to maintain the things that you've mentioned

Yes, due to lack of funds from central government. They've wasted money though like the dosh on Ricky Hunts WiFi etc. They even created the ridiculous parishes to get more money yet we're still sliding downhill. I can't wait to move away. It's a real shame how far it's slid downhill in my eyes. It's now a big deal when somewhere gets a new litter bin. They used to be everywhere
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:51:23 by Arriba » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:52:09 »

Yes, due to lack of funds from central government. They've wasted money though like the dosh on Ricky Hunts WiFi etc. They even created the ridiculous parishes to get more money yet we're still sliding downhill. I can't wait to move away. It's a real shame how far it's slid downhill in my eyes. It's now a big deal when somewhere gets a litter bin. They used to be everywhere

The council tax increases are disgusting but there's nothing we can do to contest it. Where do you want to move to?

So, give no fucks

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:56:11 »

The council tax increases are disgusting but there's nothing we can do to contest it. Where do you want to move to?

South Devon. It's happening just not yet unfortunately.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 16:56:55 »

South Devon. It's happening just not yet unfortunately.

I have aspirations to move to South or North Devon myself

So, give no fucks

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:00:49 »

I have aspirations to move to South or North Devon myself

I love it there so don't blame you. Definitely the south for me. I don't like running Swindon down by the way. My family history goes back a long way here. It's just not the place it was for me. It's only people here that's stopping the Mrs saying yes to going now.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:07:41 »

I love it there so don't blame you. Definitely the south for me. I don't like running Swindon down by the way. My family history goes back a long way here. It's just not the place it was for me. It's only people here that's stopping the Mrs saying yes to going now.

Born and bred here 57 years ago ans know what you mean about the demise of the Town as I still have great memories of the Railway works, a thriving Town Centre, Cheney Manor Trading Estate and big companies like Plesseys, Garrards, Listers & Vickers amongst many others ensuring there was always plenty of industry here.

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:29:06 »

Was born here in 61, spent 10 years in slave trade central. Chose to come back. Now I'm retired will probably move away but up north. Like North Yorkshire and borders or possibly ireland. Need to get my kids sorted first.
Swindon is a shit hole. It used to be my shit hole but not any more. I gave up on stfc when McCormick signed and now have no intention of returning to the club so that big tie isn't there anymore. The council have given up on the people of Swindon and it's mutual.
I used to be proud of both Swindon and stfc, no more.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:36:06 »

Do you still look out for the Town results Chalkie and hope that you don't follow your local team!

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:45:22 »

Do you still look out for the Town results Chalkie and hope that you don't follow your local team!
I look for the results but it's a shrug of the shoulders now instead of my weekend being ruined if we lose. Watching supermarine now and really enjoying it. I feel quite an affinity with them. I hated football  for a while. I think it goes back to the Williams relegation year and Charlie fucking colkett. Haven't watched premiership in years. Quite like the German league.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:47:26 »

Was born here in 61, spent 10 years in slave trade central. Chose to come back. Now I'm retired will probably move away but up north. Like North Yorkshire and borders or possibly ireland. Need to get my kids sorted first.
Swindon is a shit hole. It used to be my shit hole but not any more. I gave up on stfc when McCormick signed and now have no intention of returning to the club so that big tie isn't there anymore. The council have given up on the people of Swindon and it's mutual.
I used to be proud of both Swindon and stfc, no more.

Good luck in Middlesbrough  Wink
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 17:55:02 »

Good luck in Middlesbrough  Wink
That's one place I won't be going to. Some nice places within a few miles though. Have been to Middlesbrough and saw town win. Rough as fuck and lucky to come out in one piece.
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 18:19:02 »

No surprise for you all to learn that I grew up in East Devon. 'The good old days' were when the sun shone, the grass had been cut, and the air was warm and balmy in the evenings, that memory will live with me for ever. But, it's wet, often it is wet, and very wet. Oh, and it can be windy, very windy. There are plenty of 'chocolate box' villages, cream teas, caravans stuck in country lanes, and cows. I feckin hate the accent, couldn't give a shit whether the cream went on first or not, and I hated the fact that you seemed cut off from the world, miles from anywhere, because, well it is. It is also chockfull of retirees (especially in Torquay hee hee).

The Cup away trip to Norwich was an absolute nightmare by coach, west to east see, still have them about that particular trip. Sunderland was better, south to north, but heck what a trek that was. I know Plymuff has it worse, but time has stopped still down there, no calendars or clocks, and they don't even notice long journeys.

I love Swindon, especially its location, its accent, there's a kind of westcountry burr/cockney mix thing going on, and has far fewer cows and pensioners, always a bonus. Cotwolds to the north, Downs to the south, pop to Wales, Bath or the smoke and think nothing of it. Bliss.

Went to watch Purton v Redhouse yesterday in the Cricklade Cup, cracking little village, sun shining, brilliant views of the countryside, I really felt at home, just like the good old days.

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 18:38:40 by Banker » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: