Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kill the Bill  (Read 9324 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 15:06:37 »

For years the left have thought the BBC is too right wing and visa versa

Appointing a load of Tories to top positions in the BBC was a clear tactic by the current government. They've had a good degree of control over output and slanting the coverage for a good few years now because of it.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 15:44:21 »

I suppose if you are so far out on the left then they're going to be on your right.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 16:20:34 »

I suppose if you are so far out on the left then they're going to be on your right.
Please read Red Rag's post - it's not a left/right thing, it's a "government control of media" thing.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 16:43:08 »

I think the unions are the least of our problems

Today, yes, forty, fifty years ago, no.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 16:45:30 »

They assume they are. And under a normal moderate democratic govt it's a reasonable assumption. Not any more. That's my point.
But that’s YOUR opinion, not necessarily everyone else’s opinion. So you’re saying that the current government are not a modern democratic government? If so, I’m going to have to scratch my head in bewilderment.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 16:52:06 »

While it's true that both sides have seen their own bias, what has changed is that the govt have just appointed an explicitly political appointment as chairman of the BBC with no background in journalism or broadcasting who has made no secret of his desire to make the BBC more "conservative friendly" and has wasted no time in implementing it. That's a step change.

While it's true that both sides have seen their own bias, what has changed is that the govt have just appointed an explicitly political appointment as chairman of the BBC with http://thetownend.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1611186;topic=58742.75;num_replies=94;sesc=82c1d2dc0ec6e03ce50e050408ed5d7dno background in journalism (That could be seen as a good attribute by many I suspect, you know, fresh pair of eyes) or broadcasting who has made no secret of his desire to make the BBC more "conservative friendly" (explain, what conservative friendly means can you?) and has wasted no time in implementing it (how exactly?). That's a step change. I understands our concerns to a point but when the BBC has pretty much gone unchallenged in its perceived political bias for so long it must come as a shock to have to justify your modus operandi.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 5, 2021, 16:53:51 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 18:51:02 »

But that’s YOUR opinion, not necessarily everyone else’s opinion. So you’re saying that the current government are not a modern democratic government? If so, I’m going to have to scratch my head in bewilderment.
Scratch away then. There are multiple pillars of any functioning democracy: a free press, independent judiciary, a legislature that can act as a check on the executive and the right for the public to make their voices heard. In a little over 12 months, this govt has attacked or are currently attacking all four. They are fundamentally anti-democratic.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 21:16:14 »

Scratch away then. There are multiple pillars of any functioning democracy: a free press, independent judiciary, a legislature that can act as a check on the executive and the right for the public to make their voices heard. In a little over 12 months, this govt has attacked or are currently attacking all four. They are fundamentally anti-democratic.

I’ll take your sage advice and scratch away thanks.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 21:36:21 »

The bill is stupid and should be protested against but in reality... What does it honestly matter? Go protest peacefully and you won't have a problem. Go protest like a dickhead, throwing fireworks at police horses, expect a baton to crack your skull.

Let's all be real here. Protesting against this bill whether it comes into law or not should really matter. Party politics is the problem, democracy is dead, and every country on the planet is in a race to the bottom in a capitalist world.

In the existence of this planet, we've seen:
Tyrannies, Theocracy and Autocracy
Communism and Fascism
Oligarchy, Democracies and Republics

None of the political regimes has really worked or lasted for one reason or another so far. The next type of political regime that we will see is decentralisation and the foundation for such is already starting to become established right under your nose...

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 07:56:31 »

While it's true that both sides have seen their own bias, what has changed is that the govt have just appointed an explicitly political appointment as chairman of the BBC with http://thetownend.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1611186;topic=58742.75;num_replies=94;sesc=82c1d2dc0ec6e03ce50e050408ed5d7dno background in journalism (That could be seen as a good attribute by many I suspect, you know, fresh pair of eyes) or broadcasting who has made no secret of his desire to make the BBC more "conservative friendly" (explain, what conservative friendly means can you?) and has wasted no time in implementing it (how exactly?). That's a step change. I understands our concerns to a point but when the BBC has pretty much gone unchallenged in its perceived political bias for so long it must come as a shock to have to justify your modus operandi.

Re: fresh pair of eyes - I generally like it when the person in charge of a large organisation knows a bit about what they're doing. No background in journalism isn't a 'fresh pair of eyes', it's someone who wouldn't be qualified for an intern position!

Re: 'how exactly?' - The Mash Report was cancelled as part of a drive to establish more 'right-wing' comedy (a thankless task as I can only think of one current right wing comedian who isn't a dinosaur who might be ok on TV). It's the only example I'm aware of but fits the bill of what you're asking for.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 08:24:52 »

Re: 'how exactly?' - The Mash Report was cancelled as part of a drive to establish more 'right-wing' comedy (a thankless task as I can only think of one current right wing comedian who isn't a dinosaur who might be ok on TV). It's the only example I'm aware of but fits the bill of what you're asking for.

Reading in private Eye, until the arrival of the new BBC Director General the BBC were looking at putting the Mash Report on twice a week as its ratings were very high in what is traditionally a difficult spot in the schedule, post his arrival bang it gone entirely.

I assume you are referring to Geoff Norcott, who rather ironically got most of his television exposure by being on The Mash fairly regularly.

I'm looking forward to the BBC showing An Evening with Jim and Lee.....
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 08:27:21 by horlock07 » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 08:35:17 »

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on the BBC. Surprised it has so much sway with so many of you.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 10:56:07 »

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on the BBC. Surprised it has so much sway with so many of you.
Missed the point as usual. The BBC is the national broadcaster and has long had a tradition of independent, impartial reporting. Didn't always get it right, but that was the aim. This is now under attack, as part of a multi-pronged and sustained attack on the institutions that underpin democracy. Whether you watch Mrs Browns' Boys isn't really the point.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 12:03:09 »

What other institutions?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 12:24:43 »

What other institutions?

It's only a few posts above. Does help if you read the whole conversation

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: