Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kill the Bill  (Read 9572 times)
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, April 3, 2021, 16:28:30 »

Why would anyone want to protest in the middle of a global pandemic....

If the previous protests have shown anything it is that protest do need regulation....

Perhaps because the government are using a global pandemic to hide the fact they are pushing through legislation that takes away the fundamental bedrock of democracy of the right to peaceful protest.

They are picking an unneccsary fight with the people during the global pandemic and most people are too fucking stupid to realise or too weary to do anything about it. 
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, April 3, 2021, 16:30:31 »

I'm talking about damage to inanimate objects vs peoples' rights. I know where my priorities lay.
Out of interest what do you class inanimate objects?
If statues, war memorials, public buildings, police vans etc get damaged then the protesters deserve to have the book thrown at them as I don’t see how there can be any justification for that. It’s illegal in every day life so should be just as illegal during a protest, it’s never justified and why all these ‘anarchist’ twats turn up to protests!

I’ve worked on important infrastructure projects including nuclear and powers to disperse ill thought and pointless protests are needed as protestors on some of these haven’t even known what they are protesting about. Extinction Rebellion tried to disrupt HPC and looked perplexed when it was explained that nuclear power is actually compatible with reducing global emissions!
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, April 3, 2021, 16:32:55 »

Oh shit, I've just realised 'the bill' in this context is the proposed bill, not the 90s police drama. Thought that was a weird target.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 3, 2021, 16:58:47 »

Oh shit, I've just realised 'the bill' in this context is the proposed bill, not the 90s police drama. Thought that was a weird target.

That’s long dead you wally
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #34 on: Saturday, April 3, 2021, 18:11:12 »

really?

had the guy down for a cunt, but not a nonce

Name a more iconic duo than the right wing and paedolphilia?
Flashheart

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 02:26:19 »

The short-termism I see over this is astonishing. Not just here but elsewhere.

The next government may not be 'your' government. They may not be a government that shares your political ideals and this bill will suppress your right to protest against them. Think about that.

It's astonishing that we're even having a discussion over whether or not the bill is acceptable. Stuff like this has become normalized over the last decade or so; the Cummings of this world have done their job superbly. Remember Corbyn being accused of trying to start a class war? The Tories started that war before he was even on the scene, and they are winning.

Fuck, I hate politics and try to steer clear but the brazenness of these cunts lures me in.

And Costello?

I struggle to take him seriously. I think he's a career troll like Yaxley-Lennon and Laurence Fox - only he's not very good at it.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 07:58:22 »

Name a more iconic duo than the right wing and paedolphilia?
Inceldom and far right are a close second IMO

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 08:24:54 »

The short-termism I see over this is astonishing. Not just here but elsewhere.

The next government may not be 'your' government. They may not be a government that shares your political ideals and this bill will suppress your right to protest against them. Think about that.

It's astonishing that we're even having a discussion over whether or not the bill is acceptable. Stuff like this has become normalized over the last decade or so; the Cummings of this world have done their job superbly. Remember Corbyn being accused of trying to start a class war? The Tories started that war before he was even on the scene, and they are winning.

Fuck, I hate politics and try to steer clear but the brazenness of these cunts lures me in.

And Costello?

I struggle to take him seriously. I think he's a career troll like Yaxley-Lennon and Laurence Fox - only he's not very good at it.

I was surprised at people being upset over the protests on social media but I think I've figured out why. They think 'bill' means police, so they think there's a series of anti police protests going on right now.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 08:34:11 »

Absolutely this. His delivery of stuff I'm not convinced he understands is very poor. I'm still waiting for him to explain why Marxism is bad (I don't have a view, but I'm not the one crying about Marxists)

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 08:53:00 »

the Cummings of this world have done their job superbly.
Would that be the same Dominic Cummings who thought it perfectly acceptable to go for a drive to Bernard Cast!e during the lockdown ??.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 15:28:20 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 09:50:04 »

It's always the right with their authoritarianism rhetoric against 'marxists' that happily accept it in reality. A weird cognitive disonance that I can never work out that is evident in this thread.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 09:51:03 »

I was surprised at people being upset over the protests on social media but I think I've figured out why. They think 'bill' means police, so they think there's a series of anti police protests going on right now.

That's a 70's,80's saying and it appears the activist jumped on the title

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 11:01:50 »

Do I know what the bill is about ?   Yes

The bill isn't trying to stop protests at all....its about controlling them better and ensuring they go off peacefully without violence and without damage to property

No it's not. There's already multiple laws on the statute books that outlaw violence and criminal damage, both in general and at protests, notably the multiple Public Order Acts.As you clearly don't know what the section of the Bill that restricts protests says, I'll quote it here:

"59 Intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance
(1)A person commits an offence if—
(a)the person—
(i)does an act, or
(ii)omits to do an act that they are required to do by any enactmentor rule of law,

(b)the person’s act or omission—
(i)causes serious harm to the public or a section of the public, or
(ii)obstructs the public or a section of the public in the exercise or enjoyment  of  a  right  that  may  be  exercised  or  enjoyed  by  the public at large, and
(c)the person intends that their act or omission will have a consequence mentioned in paragraph (b) or is reckless as to whether it will have such a consequence.
(2)For the purposes of subsection (1) an act or omission causes serious harm to a person if, as a result, the person—
(a)suffers death, personal injury or disease,
(b)suffers loss of, or damage to, property,
(c)suffers  serious  distress,  serious  annoyance,  serious  inconvenience  or serious loss of amenity, or
(d)is put at risk of suffering anything mentioned in paragraphs (a) to (c).

(3)It  is  a  defence  for  a  person  charged  with  an  offence  under  subsection  (1)  to prove that they had a reasonable excuse for the act or omission mentioned in paragraph (a) of that subsection.
(4)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable—
(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, to a fine or to both;
(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding10 years, to a fine or to both"

I've highlighted the bits that have been called out by legal experts as being especially problematic. A protest under this legislation would be unlawful, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, if it caused "serious annoyance" to "a person" or might cause annoyance to a person. That's about as broad a remit for shutting down peaceful protest as it's possible to get.

I'll give you an example. Next season, Lee Power is still here and decides John Sheridan has done a fine job so keeps him on to oversee our promotion back out of League 2. The masterplan doesn't come off and we're in the bottom two come November. A group of fans decide they are going to gather behind the Arkells after the game to make their feelings known, as has long been the tradition. All Power has to do is ring the coppers, tell them he and his guests in the exec suite are seriously annoyed by the demo and hey presto, the police break the demo up. Better yet, Power doesn't even need to ring the coppers. All it takes is a copper to decide that the demo *might* annoy someone and they can shut it down. And arrest the organisers. And prosecute them. There are similar powers to outlaw a single person who takes part in a static protest "making noise" (aimed at the pro-EU nutter who demos in Parliament Square). So even if you decided to go and stand behind the Arkells by yourself and shout "Power Out", it's paddy wagon time for you.

This Bill is not just undemocratic, it is anti-democratic and fundamentally un-British. It's the kind of legislation Putin or the CCP would be proud of.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 11:30:28 »

How many laws and bills are there where sentences are maxed for those found guilty? A lot of crimes seem to result in a suspended sentence these days. We're still soft, but people like a bit of dramatisation  I suppose.
Flashheart

« Reply #44 on: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 12:25:29 »

How many laws and bills are there where sentences are maxed for those found guilty? A lot of crimes seem to result in a suspended sentence these days. We're still soft, but people like a bit of dramatisation  I suppose.

Ah.

So you might only get a suspended sentence for protesting peacefully? Well that makes it OK then!
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 12:41:19 by Flashheart » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: