Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If only we had a Lansdown!  (Read 2451 times)
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 29, 2021, 22:44:57 »

Going by the size of the city and money behind them etc, they are quite literally the most underperforming team in the country... have they ever actually won anything?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 29, 2021, 22:47:36 »

I remember them losing 2-1 at Calne with about 5 or 6 first team players. I ripped the piss  Smiley
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 29, 2021, 23:01:18 »

Going by the size of the city and money behind them etc, they are quite literally the most underperforming team in the country... have they ever actually won anything?

Be fair, they've only had since 1982.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 00:25:20 »

Tbh mate, you could apply that to several clubs in the modern era. Living off their history is all they have at present and coming to mind are three clubs all close to my "neck o' the woods". Sheff Wed, Forest (both of these have amazing history but they both need a lot doing with their infrastructure and their youth set ups have gone downhill a lot in recent years). Hillsborough desperately needs a renovation/refurb/rebuild just to put some of the terrible past that the ghost of a ground hangs over that club, behind them.

But Derby County must be one of the most underachieving ones for the set up they have. Theirs is a few years old but were one of the first to upgrade all their facilities from the late 90s continuing into the 00s. Starting with the move from the Baseball Ground to Pride Park (and it very much works for a stadia outside of the city (but Derby is like Reading in size so just a large town) as transport links are good and even from the Train Station it's a nice ish stroll. The idea was to create that "Wembley Way" feel but it was "Pride Park Way" and only when they did the England friendlies around the grounds did it bring a similar visage. England v Mexico and I'm think England won 5-0. Also hosted several England u21 matches for a really good price. Around £10 at the time.

Onto their training facilities, they moved from the Ram-Arena in Spondon which really was even more of a shithole than where the Baseball Ground was (charming as ever any inner city old ground is/was) based. They moved up to Moor Farm on the edge of Oakwood/Morley and it really is a great training facility.

However, whilst Derby have had the odd foray into the Prem, they've never sustained it and in recent years they've been throwing even more money at it without even performing quite well enough. This season is a write off for them. But even if they managed to get there, I can see them needing at least 5yrs for the current or any new owner to recoup everything spent at trying to get there. I think they would struggle - even with parachute payments.

Bristol City in some way have the advantage of having virtually none of the historical success, so even if their fans (football fans? Deluded? Never?!) are somewhat deluded, trying to spend as a board has a bit less pressure. In a way that is different to the likes of Derby (or even Wednesday/Forest fans. Even Leeds fans recently to some extent) fans. But the same would apply if Bristol City even got there, they would have to sustain it, and that's the biggest hurdle.

It's ok theakston et al saying that "it's not that impressive and only in line with what's required", well for sure, that's stating the bleeding obvious. But they are showing progression and building their club towards the level they want to be aiming for. There is no shame in admiring it, even if it is just "the minimum" (prob a little more than that but we'll let it fly) and even if they are our "rivals" (really though? I'm not so sure in the present situation). What they are doing is a far cry from where Town are currently and it's this bit I agree with Mr Old Peculiar. Town genuinely are light years behind, even if this is purely "the minimum" standard.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:47:15 »

I can’t see how Bristol City fans can be accused of being deluded whilst at the same time lauding their set up/owner etc as being of PL standard. Surely with said set up they should be expectant of attaining PL status.

If we had a billionaire owner, a nice shiny stadium and a good training ground I would expect more than being a middle for diddle Championship club. It’s almost as if the club - not fans - don’t want to get there. And, tbf, it has been the ruin of a few clubs.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 07:27:34 »

Tbh mate, you could apply that to several clubs in the modern era. Living off their history is all they have at present and coming to mind are three clubs all close to my "neck o' the woods". Sheff Wed, Forest (both of these have amazing history but they both need a lot doing with their infrastructure and their youth set ups have gone downhill a lot in recent years). Hillsborough desperately needs a renovation/refurb/rebuild just to put some of the terrible past that the ghost of a ground hangs over that club, behind them.

But Derby County must be one of the most underachieving ones for the set up they have. Theirs is a few years old but were one of the first to upgrade all their facilities from the late 90s continuing into the 00s. Starting with the move from the Baseball Ground to Pride Park (and it very much works for a stadia outside of the city (but Derby is like Reading in size so just a large town) as transport links are good and even from the Train Station it's a nice ish stroll. The idea was to create that "Wembley Way" feel but it was "Pride Park Way" and only when they did the England friendlies around the grounds did it bring a similar visage. England v Mexico and I'm think England won 5-0. Also hosted several England u21 matches for a really good price. Around £10 at the time.

Onto their training facilities, they moved from the Ram-Arena in Spondon which really was even more of a shithole than where the Baseball Ground was (charming as ever any inner city old ground is/was) based. They moved up to Moor Farm on the edge of Oakwood/Morley and it really is a great training facility.

However, whilst Derby have had the odd foray into the Prem, they've never sustained it and in recent years they've been throwing even more money at it without even performing quite well enough. This season is a write off for them. But even if they managed to get there, I can see them needing at least 5yrs for the current or any new owner to recoup everything spent at trying to get there. I think they would struggle - even with parachute payments.

Bristol City in some way have the advantage of having virtually none of the historical success, so even if their fans (football fans? Deluded? Never?!) are somewhat deluded, trying to spend as a board has a bit less pressure. In a way that is different to the likes of Derby (or even Wednesday/Forest fans. Even Leeds fans recently to some extent) fans. But the same would apply if Bristol City even got there, they would have to sustain it, and that's the biggest hurdle.

It's ok theakston et al saying that "it's not that impressive and only in line with what's required", well for sure, that's stating the bleeding obvious. But they are showing progression and building their club towards the level they want to be aiming for. There is no shame in admiring it, even if it is just "the minimum" (prob a little more than that but we'll let it fly) and even if they are our "rivals" (really though? I'm not so sure in the present situation). What they are doing is a far cry from where Town are currently and it's this bit I agree with Mr Old Peculiar. Town genuinely are light years behind, even if this is purely "the minimum" standard.

Excellent summary Kev😀
Inside looks just as impressive

« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 11:02:37 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: