Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We can’t win them all. Accrington Stanley v STFC  (Read 26281 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 13:56:16 »

What's interesting is that if the club was on the up and has massive potential, as suggested previously, why did it end up the the hands of LP? Why didn't it interest the type of owner that has been attracted other clubs considered by some to be "smaller" than STFC?

Nothing to see here
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 13:58:57 »

What's interesting is that if the club was on the up and has massive potential, as suggested previously, why did it end up the the hands of LP? Why didn't it interest the type of owner that has been attracted other clubs considered by some to be "smaller" than STFC?

Because Black wanted rid quickly, and McCrory and chums didnt undertake due dilligence so they could purchase quickly.

Ended up well hasnt it
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:05:09 »

Other than the playing staff we had no assets. Covid aside, whoever comes in next will have 50% of the CG.

Ipswich are/were in a similar position. Their council own Portman Road but their new owners have inherited a still invested, large fan base and a not too distant time in the big league.

We’ve let things slide - seemingly forever.

The bog wall in the TE is still there, where I first stood in 1968. A damning indictment of all incumbents during the intervening half century.
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:12:05 »

Some really interesting comments above.  Even though not uniform, I find myself agreeing with each of them when I am reading them through.

Had we gone in 2-1 up and with Accrington rightly down to 10 men it could have been different.  But these footballing incidents are commonplace enough.  I was baffled by how the second half turned into such a muddle and Accrington were unlucky not to add to their half time lead.

However disappointing the "football", I still see many individuals with differing qualities doing their best.  However frustrated we are as fans, they continue to merit our support in their endeavour to secure our continued status in League 1.

Any adverse criticism for our present situation should nowadays, imo, be solely directed at Power.  Because he has been in sole control of the club for 8 years now.    

He took over a Lg 1 play off competing club, 7th in League 1.  As for quality, the squad included the likes of Sir Wes, McEveley, the Thompson twins,  Yaser, Mass, Mason, Pritchard, Ajose, Byrne, Gladwin, Rossi Branco, N'Guessan etc.  Average crowds were well into the 8ks, the operating deficit was about £1m.  Black had only recently made a generous debt write off (strings still attached?).

Power plays his cards very, very close to his chest.  He doesn't like to share with anyone, even turning down financial assistance from the Trust whilst claiming the club was "on the brink".  We don't know what will be uncovered but will Power hand the club on in a better or worse position than when he took it over?  That is the time to judge but I'm not liking what I've seen so far one bit.  Nevertheless I hope we won't have to wait long.

Power hoped he could get to the Championship on the cheap, when he was getting the Spurs loanees thanks to Sherwood he believed he could do it...

Once Spurs sacked Sherwood and those youngsters were no longer guaranteed to be loaned he realised it wasn't possible.

Hence season after season of wading through treacle,

Now he's got the  horse stables approved that's his new project

He wants out as quick as possible
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:13:27 »

Buy who is buying?

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #455 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:25:42 »

I don't know why so many people are convinced we can't get a good owner. Just look at the likes of Reading, Brentford, Bristol, Bournemouth, Posh. I could go on. Swindon may not be a fashionable club but neither were any of those mentioned before they got investors. That, and it's well known that Swindon has a very large catchment area and could probably maintain Championship level crowds if the club saw some success.

That's what a legitimate investor would look at: the potential state of the club in a few years after investment. Not the condition it's in now. Picking up the club in its current condition might even make the club more attractive to some because there's a greater scope for development. And players in the Championship are often sold for millions.

The reason we ended up with Power this time is because Black wanted out quickly, leaving us vulnerable to characters like Jed who managed to pick up a L1 club for a quid.

Whether or not we do end up with a good owner is, of course, another matter entirely but I've heard rumblings that there's some very wealthy interested parties involved. We could well end up with another shyster, but it's hardly a leap to think we could attract the right people.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:32:41 »

The STFC catchment area has been encroached upon by the clubs to the south, west and east that have already attracted significant investment.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #457 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:35:00 »

The STFC catchment area has been encroached upon by the clubs to the south, west and east that have already attracted significant investment.

So?

You think that means we can't get in 20k+ weekly? We pull in 12k for some L2 games.

*Edit. Even 20k is not necessary. 15k would see us mid-table in the attendance league

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2019-2020/1/
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:39:10 »

So?

You think that means we can't get in 20k+ weekly? We pull in 12k for some L2 games.

Leaving ground capacity to one side, I doubt that 20k week in week out is realistic.  I am sure many take a contrary view

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #459 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:40:07 »

Leaving ground capacity to one side, I doubt that 20k week in week out is realistic.  I am sure many take a contrary view

I don't agree, but if you look again at my post, 20k would not even be necessary.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:43:52 »

I don't agree, but if you look again at my post, 20k would not even be necessary.

Thanks for drawing attention to your edit.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I doubt that an average attendance of 15k is sustainable but it would be great if it was.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #461 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:45:49 »

Thanks for drawing attention to your edit.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I doubt that an average attendance of 15k is sustainable but it would be great if it was.

Yet there are clubs in the Championship that regularly see those attendances or less... And that's not opinion, it's just a fact.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:47:07 »

We are at cross purposes.  Sustainable in that that average won't be maintained not sustainable in a financial sense.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #463 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:53:53 »

You do know that clubs can also make money from player sales, right?

And that would be one of the biggest draws. Many club owners have the ethos of investing in players to sell on. Like McAnthony at Posh, for example. There's bound to be many wealthy people out there who think they can do the same and, if they do, Swindon would be a good vehicle to help them achieve that. It's hardly some pie in the sky notion - it's actually rather common in football.

I think you're being a bit myopic here. People who buy into a football club often have a vision. They look to what they can do with the club in the future.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Sunday, March 7, 2021, 14:54:30 »

I wonder what the average attendances were in the late 1990s? Going from what I remember I doubt that they were much over 10k (assuming they did crack 10k).

Nothing to see here
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: