Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For Nemo: Nailed on 3 points- let’s keep positive. Sunderland v STFC  (Read 19018 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 10:50:14 »

I don't have an issue with going away to Sunderland and setting up to be on the back foot, they have a good squad and we don't. My main issue is that it should've become apparent quite early that they were there for the taking and an adjustment should've been made a lot sooner than after they scored. I think Sheridan was happy for a point (which tbf, we all probably would've been) and really overestimated how good Sunderland would be.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #241 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 10:56:27 »

I don't have an issue with going away to Sunderland and setting up to be on the back foot, they have a good squad and we don't. My main issue is that it should've become apparent quite early that they were there for the taking and an adjustment should've been made a lot sooner than after they scored. I think Sheridan was happy for a point (which tbf, we all probably would've been) and really overestimated how good Sunderland would be.
I agree totally, certainly by the end of the 1st half we could all see that Sunderlands ability was highly oversold to us, as were Lincon previously too TBH.

They were weak at the back, certainly at CB and caused us very few problems, McGeady looked poor when I have been told hes a great player, he wasn't against us. Sunderland were there to be had as we showe din the last 20 mins but we should have gone at them from the off in the 2nd half, like a little Jack Russell nipping at the legs of the Great Dane.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 11:26:49 »

Surely the point is that it is working *now*?

We're still not ripping up trees, but things have improved.

For sure things have improved results wise and in the fact that we finally seem to have a semblence of a plan and players are finally being played or played in their correct positions (e.g. Twine and Garrick).

My point is that I cannot sit here happily stating that it is working based on what we have seen so far.  Ipswich was very positive, then we capitulated for the next 5 or 6 games, then we got a fluke 3 points with a terrible performance vs Crewe which lead into a very positive performance against Lincoln.  Then we played poorly against a poor Cobblers side and took a great 3 points and then lost against Sunderland with an uninspiring display (somewhat to be expected) until the last 20 mins.

If others constitute this as working then that is fine, and shows just how far our expectations have diminished.  I fully understand that it is about points in our current situation and performances mean nothing, and our points haul over the past 4 games has been impressive compared to earlier in the season but I personally still cannot be happy to say that this is working now as, apart from Ipswich and Lincoln, we have scraped a few wins by the odd goal that, based on our performance on the day could have easily gone the other way.

He is getting us through, and we are in a slightly upward trajectory, but not significant enough that it couldn't switch the other way quite easily.  At the moment we are 2 steps forward 1 step back which is better than the other way around for now.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 11:39:15 »

the 4-2-3-1 with Twine as a 10 stayed.

Not watched the games but from the line up I had assumed we were playing 3 at the back (with two wing backs) as we are playing 3 centre halves in each game with Conroy, Broadbent and Grounds?
Panda Paws

« Reply #244 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 11:59:14 »

Not watched the games but from the line up I had assumed we were playing 3 at the back (with two wing backs) as we are playing 3 centre halves in each game with Conroy, Broadbent and Grounds?

Grounds LB, Thompon LM. It's been a very rigid 4411 for sure.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 12:12:01 »

Grounds LB, Thompon LM. It's been a very rigid 4411 for sure.
Twine plays too deep for it to be 4-4-1-1, he's playing as a deep 10 (free 8?) in an attacking midfield 3 behind the striker. At least, that's how I've seen it. But we agree on the back 4, at least, although BBC sport app and website keep showing it as a 3 even though the commentators rightly describe a back 4
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 12:19:08 »

I agree totally, certainly by the end of the 1st half we could all see that Sunderlands ability was highly oversold to us, as were Lincon previously too TBH.

They were weak at the back, certainly at CB and caused us very few problems, McGeady looked poor when I have been told hes a great player, he wasn't against us. Sunderland were there to be had as we showe din the last 20 mins but we should have gone at them from the off in the 2nd half, like a little Jack Russell nipping at the legs of the Great Dane.

They have players missing in defence and patched up.
Sheridan did nothing with this and clear to see that Pitman should have been replaced by Hope only to close down quicker.
Another reason, albeit opinion why I struggle with this dinosaur.
Panda Paws

« Reply #247 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 12:52:50 »

Twine plays too deep for it to be 4-4-1-1, he's playing as a deep 10 (free 8?) in an attacking midfield 3 behind the striker. At least, that's how I've seen it. But we agree on the back 4, at least, although BBC sport app and website keep showing it as a 3 even though the commentators rightly describe a back 4

I'll give you that - it's a pitfall of trying define something that's incredibly complicated and nuanced (even under Shez) in a combination of 3 or 4 digits that add up to 10.

It's widely accepted that there are 7 lines of play, most formations aren't symetrical and also completely different in and out of possession but try putting that on a graphic on TV!.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 13:22:04 »

I'll give you that - it's a pitfall of trying define something that's incredibly complicated and nuanced (even under Shez) in a combination of 3 or 4 digits that add up to 10.

It's widely accepted that there are 7 lines of play, most formations aren't symetrical and also completely different in and out of possession but try putting that on a graphic on TV!.
Yes, absolutely. It's baffling as to why we persist with the convention when it's so inadequate to what we are trying to describe. But it's the convention we have so everyone persists with it
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:14:31 »

2 Sheridans does not a summer make and all that.

Totally agree but you missed a golden opportunity. FIFY  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
A.N.Other

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 20:47:01 »

I haven't watched the Town since Wellens left except Ipswich. The jelly formation described here sounds like the Cruyff / Ajax / Holland "Total Football" system with players moving into changing positions to confound the opposition. Maybe I should take a look again - the "Morphin Swindon". How do you advise?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 21:13:31 »

Spot on - Total football.  Trust me, you won’t be disappointed

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: