Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Relegation Mini league  (Read 16862 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #105 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 10:52:49 »

Didn't realise Northampton missed a last minute penalty at Wimbledon, that would have been a lovely draw for us, thankful its still in our own hands at this point though..
Yes 97th minute! what a sickener for them! a draw would have been the best option though for us. Northampton and Rovers are easily the 2 worst teams we have played this season, maybe Cobblers will be affected and go on a losing run now. As long as it doesn't kick start the Wombles season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:11:18 »

Yes 97th minute! what a sickener for them! a draw would have been the best option though for us. Northampton and Rovers are easily the 2 worst teams we have played this season, maybe Cobblers will be affected and go on a losing run now. As long as it doesn't kick start the Wombles season.

I doubt any of the bottom mini league teams us included are likely to hit promotion form between now and when this shit storm season finishes. The table does not lie and we’re all at the arse end for a reason. Of course there will be little flourishes from teams but equally there will be nightmare patches too. It’s the teams that have the. Resolve to hold their nerve and grind out results and by that I mean not losing even if a point seems useless. I’d love to be proved wrong that we can put together form that looks like a promotion push.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:15:54 »

Now is the time to look at the remaining fixtures and try to guess how many points we think each team will get and I have to say having just looked after posting what I said about promotion win ing form that our task looks fucking monumental. I hadn’t realised who we had still to play. I guess the only saving grace is that home or away advantage has less of an impact at the mo, just as well.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:18:16 »

. I’d love to be proved wrong that we can put together form that looks like a promotion push.
Last two games ??, Couldn't have done any better.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #109 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:21:41 »

I doubt any of the bottom mini league teams us included are likely to hit promotion form between now and when this shit storm season finishes. The table does not lie and we’re all at the arse end for a reason. Of course there will be little flourishes from teams but equally there will be nightmare patches too. It’s the teams that have the. Resolve to hold their nerve and grind out results and by that I mean not losing even if a point seems useless. I’d love to be proved wrong that we can put together form that looks like a promotion push.
Yeah Burton started a nice mini run when they looked dead and buried a few months ago, but have come crashing down again with consecutive defeats a run of WLWWWWWWDLL.

All good runs will come to an end even if teams do go on a run.

I just hope we can start a similar run and get away from the relegation battle at the bottom with each team climbing over the next to try and escape the quagmire.

As you rightly say It will be close with all teams winning a few and losing a few, just hope we can win the ones against other struggling teams at the bottom, that will be a start, as we still have Wimbledon, Rochdale, Wigan to play and they are all below us currently and Burton just above us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:27:03 »

Yes, that miss could ultimately have a bearing on which division we play in next season.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:52:30 »

Last two games ??, Couldn't have done any better.

Who is up next? Blackpool, only likely to get a stick of rock from that game, then there is Ipswich, Pompey and Peterborough, in the mix What kind of promotion form do you anticipate? I’m not going to offer to eat my hat or run naked around the county ground if we beat any of them but a large dash of realism needs to be added to the thought process of what we have to still do and who that is against. I could easily envisage losing all the above, even interspersed with some wins against those around us wouldn’t be classed as promotion form IMHO.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 12:50:40 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 12:30:35 »

Yep even Burton have potentially started a little dip, but that burst of form for them will probably be enough to not worry...lose to Town however and their fans will get twitchy again.

I think I mentioned it several weeks back when Town had about 14/15 games to go, that the results that will count will be amongst those around us. Between all that we'd not pick up much else but would need to find the odd win or even three draws a la Luke Warm. As it turns out, despite the games that were down as expected losses, Town have picked up quite a few points (as a bonus), as well as continuing their very good form against teams around us. Still convinced out of the bottom 6 or 7, Town are either the best or at least second best in terms of games against each other (so far). I still don't think the "Home" or "Away" factor really matters, if anything a home environment is tougher because players must feel like it has all the draw of a pointless tinpot match against Barnsley u23s on a Tuesday night.

Coming up, I don't expect Town to get anything against;

Blackpool Verdict: 0pts

and might manage a draw against;

Burton Verdict: 1pt

If they come away with more than 1pt from those two, it will be a bonus on current standing (not Michael). Would be delighted with a loss and a win. Even if those two results and just a point puts Town back below the dotted line I still won't be panicking. I have said numerous times, this will probably go to down to the last day (even if not for Town, they will definitely have some say in at least another team's fate).

Between then and after Burton, Town face;

Peterborough (Pretty nailed on loss you'd think. Maybe don't look at the table this match if the above outcome has gone as predicted, it could look pretty grim)
Verdict: 0pts

Rochdale (If form against the equalish shite teams prevails, then this should be a win)
Verdict: 3pts

Wimbledon (Again, Town should be looking to continue their good form in this part of the division and grab another win at whatever cost but a point would be a dampener. To lose would be fucking horrendous)
Verdict: 3pts

Portsmouth (Yep, similar to Peterborough could be a cagey game though with two teams needing points for very different reasons. Could easily end up with a win, in off Pitman's ball sack but I'll leave that fairytale image to another realm. Expect a loss)

MK Faux Dons (Tough one to judge really and any outcome could happen here but I think this is one where Town do pick up something. At present their form suggests a late surge into the PO spots. Depending on what they do between now and this fixture, it could be a nothing game for them. Which would be very handy for Town to even squeak a but more out of it. Flip that scenario the other way and they could need the points as much as Town. I'm going straight down the middle and seeing a stalemate in terms of result)
Verdict: 1pt

Ipswich (Like MKFD above, Ipswich could be still hunting for a PO spot by this stage and if so, a very crucial match with one to go. For some reason, despite Town putting in a great display against them, I can only see them beating Town (this fixture and MK could possibly be reversed in results tbh) and it looking very likely that Town need something going into the final game)

Going into the last game, my "logical" predictions will have Town collected a further;

8pts and sitting on a total of 45pts

God knows what position the table will show  at that point but I would say Rochdale possibly will be consigned to going down. As might be Wovers. I would guess at it being, on the last day something like a "two from four", with Town and Wimbledon needing a point. For reference, those important final day games are;

Blackpool v Wovers (can't see much other than a Blackpool win, if needing to cement a PO place. However it could be a nothing match if they tail off and Wovers are already down. Would be just pride at stake)

Lincoln v Wimbledon (If not securing a PO spot then Lincoln will be looking to sneak in the autos and this is a very dangerous fixture for Wimbledon. Should be a win for the Siren Winders)

MK v Rochdale (Rochdale will likely be down. The emphasis will mostly be on club MK if they have anything to play for. Their current form suggests they may but otherwise it'll be more about chatting to each other about where they're are off on holiday)

Oxford v Burton (I've included this as a little caveat. Burton will have themselves to blame (and possibly Town if the earlier result v them goes in our favour) if they end up needing something from the final game. They shouldn't and like the previous two above, Oxford (and I'm shuddering at this thought) could be well within a chance of the POs. It's that tight across the league. It tears at the heartstrings a little this because we might ourselves needing Oxford to do Town a favour. If not then I'll happily have Burton wallop them and prevent them getting in the POs. It really is a minor caveat but it's a potential fixture that may need to be watched with caution.

Sunderland v Northampton (Yet another dangerous fixture. Sunderland could well be at this stage needing a win to claim auto or at the very least securing third spot. I can't see anything other than a Mackem win and Northampton probably will need at least a point (because of the Town v Wigan and also the Wimbledon fixtures most likely). They could grab it but at that point it would probably be ok for Town. Just as long as Cobblers don't win!

Then the one that matters and with fate possibly in Town's own hands;

Wigan v Swindon (I still see us just needing a point, if it's come right down to the wire, with one of Wimbledon, Northampton, Wigan and Town needing something. Some more so than others but it will be tight and each team could impact the other on this final day. I don't even want to guess the outcome and it makes me feel sick thinking it could genuinely come down to GD, if the permutation of results culminate in this end of season spectacular (for a fucking neutral maybe). Luckily this is where Town are marginally and currently better of out of the bottom six (Rochdale are also -21). Through gritted teeth I say Town get a point and it ends up something like;

19. Town      46pts (best GD)
20. Dons      46pts (lower GD)
====================
21. N'hants   46pts (worse GD)
22. Wigan A  45pts
23. Wovers   42pts
24. R'dale     38pts

Fuck I hope I'm right or at least very close (in the positive sense) to this because there is a lot of turbulent air ahead fellas (and fellarettes and anything else in between or outside of it). Whack your seatbelts on until further notice and remain seated. Power Airways remind you to "Please enjoy your flight".

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 12:32:51 »

Match the form of the last 9 games (13 points) and we likely stay up, especially if the majority of those points come against the teams around us we have to play.  Realistically, anything over a point a game will probably be enough so 3 wins and a couple of draws, for example.

We seem to have a match winner in Twine now (every game he has scored in we have won) and a keeper who is fit for purpose, two things that could separate us from the teams below us.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 14:06:44 »

Joey Barton favourite for the Preston job.....let's hope not as he's doing a wonderful job where he is 7 defeats out of 10😀

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 14:50:18 »

wtf? why is he favourite.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 14:56:07 »

Who knows unless it's a Northern thing! Depends which Bookies you look at it's either him or Grant McCann with Nicky Butt behind in third.

So, give no fucks
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 16:01:36 »

Who knows unless it's a Northern thing! Depends which Bookies you look at it's either him or Grant McCann with Nicky Butt behind in third.

Butt would be behind.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 16:04:35 »

Butt would be behind.

Clap Clap Clap

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print