Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Relegation Mini league  (Read 16864 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 21:48:05 »

Its tiiiight at the bottom. And shaping up to be 4 from 7 then end up the dreaded League 2.

We are currently 2nd, but just 3 points between top and bottom Crying Looking ahead at the fixtures March is a ram packed month of football and so many fixtures between these bottom clubs.

Rochdale         Played 30 | Points 28  | GD -14
Swindon          Played 30 | Points 28  | GD -20
Wimbledon      Played 28 | Points 28  | GD -20
-------------
Rovers            Played 29 | Points 27  | GD -20
Wigan             Played 30 | Points 27  | GD -26
Northampton   Played 30 | Points 26  | GD -24
Burton            Played 28 | Points 25  | GD -21

Saturday is huuuge against Northampton without much explanation but even more so because the next 3 fixtures are against teams in Sunderland (5th), (Accrington) 7th and Oxford (8th). Then Gillingham (15th), Fleetwood (17th), Rovers (20th), Rochdale (18th)

Other teams fixtures in March:

Rochdale Hull (3rd), Sunderland (5th), Shrewsbury (16th), Lincoln (2nd), Peterborough (1st), Wimbledon (20th) and us (19th)

Wimbledon Shrewsbury (16th), Blackpool (14th), Burton (24th), Rovers (21st), Wigan (22nd), Charlton (9th), Rochdale (18th), Northampton (23rd). 5 of the bottom 7   Eek

Rovers Burton (24th), Hull (3rd), Accrington (7th), Wimbledon (20th), Charlton (9th), Plymouth (12th), us (19th) and Sunderland (5th)

Wigan Charlton (9th), Franchise (13th), Plymouth (12th), Wimbledon (20th), Accrington (7th), Ipswich (10th)

Northampton Plymouth (12th), Portsmouth (4th), Charlton (9th), Doncaster (6th), Crewe (11th), Oxford (8th), Wimbledon (20th)

Burton Rovers (21st), Peterborough 1st), Wimbledon (20th), Crewe (11th), Blackpool (14th), Franchise (13th), Shrewsbury (16th), Fleetwood (17th)

Its only when you start looking at the fixtures that you realise there is so much left to play for.

We need to start seeing an improvement in our goal difference. I think someone will be relegated by it this season.
A long post (except for bamboo standards) but one that i will keep updated. 
Panda Paws

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 21:50:04 »

Horror run for dale.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 21:53:25 »

Yeah, I went through this the other week. Nice to get a mention in dispatches though.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 23:01:32 »

Was surprised to see Fleetwood down in 17th, just had a look at their form.  

Since the start of December they have played 16 games of which they have won 2, one of which against us, of course, the other against Donny, drawing 7 and earning 13 points.  In that time we've picked up 3 wins and 3 draws for 12 points, also from 16 matches.

Basically they've been awful and while they have an 8 point cushion on us and 9 on the relegation places I'm sure they'll be getting a bit twitchy.  Their next 6 fixtures look a little tricky before hosting us then travelling to Burton.  Could yet be sucked into it despite the gap.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 23:04:32 »

We have won and lost more games than any other team in the 7

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 18:59:51 »

My undoubtably flawed theory is that the goal difference is usually a good indicator of the sides that go down. So between us, rovers and Wimbledon for the last relegation spot.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:04:26 »

Burton            Played 30 | Points 31  | GD -18
Swindon          Played 32 | Points 31  | GD -20
Rovers            Played 31 | Points 30  | GD -20
-------------
Wimbledon      Played 30 | Points 29  | GD -23
Northampton   Played 32 | Points 29  | GD -23
Rochdale         Played 32 | Points 28  | GD -18
Wigan             Played 32 | Points 27  | GD -28

remain in 2nd. from the reports of the way Burton are playing (3rd in the league for form last 5) and the results they are pulling off it might turn into a 4 from 6. I also have a bad feeling that joey barton might turn things round for rovers leaving the current bottom 4 as the final bottom 4.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:27:24 »

remain in 2nd. from the reports of the way Burton are playing (3rd in the league for form last 5) and the results they are pulling off it might turn into a 4 from 6. I also have a bad feeling that joey barton might turn things round for rovers leaving the current bottom 4 as the final bottom 4.

I don't have a bad feeling at all, the current bottom 4 being the final bottom 4 is absolutely fine by me!
Panda Paws

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:40:27 »

There will be ups and downs. We're in a little tough run at the moment and will probably be below the line again post Pox.

Then, four huge games against those down there with us. It's going to go to the wire, but my gut feeling is that the current bottom 3 are down, and then it's us or the Dons.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:50:38 »

There will be ups and downs. We're in a little tough run at the moment and will probably be below the line again post Pox.

Then, four huge games against those down there with us. It's going to go to the wire, but my gut feeling is that the current bottom 3 are down, and then it's us or the Dons.

Agreed, and the 2 games in hand that Dons have will play a big part in where we all end up.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 10:11:04 »

Since the abolute fluke victory against Crewe, we have shown small signs that this squad and management team might just keep us in this division.

he's not popular and I don't think he is a particularly good manager but he has history of saving teams from relegation so for the rest of the season I think we have no option but to support Shez in operation salvage. He's done it before, let's hope he can do it again.

Despite having a new keeper seemingly weekly we now seem to have stopped giving away so many stupid goals and dare I say we look a little bit more solid? It looks like Grounds, Broadbent and Conroy are the chosen Centre backs and they are beginning to look like a not catastrophic backline currently.

We have a potential matchwinner in Scott Twine. I didn't see the game last night but he hit the bar in the last minute from a free kick and apparently setup a glorious opportunity for Hallam Hope with his vision. It seems harsh to put the hopes of the town on a 21 year old home grown kid, but currently he is showing how good he can be.

BP scores goals. Yes he is heavy and sluggish but if a chance falls to him in the box, you'd back him to put it away. In a scramble his fox in the box mentality may be crucial.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 10:47:42 »

I agree BO.

As a unit we look far better, everyone looking to cover the others and knowing were they should be positionally.

Defending as a unit again, and with a decent keeper behind them also giving them confidence, makes you wonder what would have happened had we signed Baxter or even Barnes rather than the hapless and hopless Kovar as 1st choice rather than Wellens pandering to his true love - Man United.

The football brand we play is still dull as dishwater, long balls played from defence to Pitman/Garrick which rarely get completed, we have a lightweight midfield pairing of Palmer and Payne who are not up to the job, again I would still love to see Lyden and Grant in there who are both way better options and use Payne sparingly as a substitute again. Missilou has shown me nothing to suggest he is good enough either.

Twine seems to be finding his feet being played in the number 10/playmaker role so you don't expect him to track back and defend as much, similar to his role at Newport that he played so well but he needs 2 more defensive minded midfielders behind him, Palmer and Payne don't fit that bill at all but Grant and Lyden certainly do.

We are shaping up better in the last 3 or 4 games than we did previously, yes we were lucky vs Crewe but we still won in a game we were dominated in, even previously in the Wigan game we were under the cosh 2nd half but in jammy style came out on top more through luck than judgement, the last 3 games though that has changed hugely.

As I stated its still boring as fuck to watch but if it keeps us in this division then thats all we can ask even though we know we can take the game to teams as we did in the last 20 mins yesterday, if we came out of the blocks playing that way I think we could have grabbed a point or more but by the time we changed style it was already too late.

It is looking a bit better so maybe there is hope we can survive, Burton have hot a good vein of form and could well escape under the guidance of JFH, a very under rated manager IMO.

The Barton effect hasn't kicked in yet (if it ever will) at Rovers, Rochdale, Wigan and Rovers all in a poor run of results, we have to hope that Wimbledon go on a losing run now and waste the games in hand.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 14:39:22 »

Makes you wonder why Sheridactyl left Twine sidelined on the subs bench for so many games.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 15:38:00 »

The Barton effect hasn't kicked in yet (if it ever will) at Rovers
Is there a Barton effect? Fleetwood not exactly tearing up trees this season under him
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 15:55:53 »

This could be the likely effect

* 280BFA9A-4165-4522-91A8-414165F5574D.jpeg (30.15 KB, 222x292 - viewed 109 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: