Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Country football  (Read 8690 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 16:52:57 »

Good question. Did see an article recently about the merit of a one club Bristol United FC for glory approach, but seems there's no appetite for it. It also mentioned the side effect of the competing traditional rugby support base within the west country. With the Bears and Chiefs in ascendancy, this has made an impact on football gates in recent years, I know that. Not been aware of a similar rugby following in Swindon, other than seeing the occasional Bath (or Gloucester) cap/shirt ?

Geography obviously plays a part too certainly in the deepest parts of the west country. Rather than move and uproot his family Tisdale used to commute daily from Biddestone, and did so for 12 years, and a car load of Bristol-based players would do the same. Always been a problem down there, recruiting players/managers, being out on a limb. Again, I wouldn't think that would be such a problem for Town, is it ?

Since the mid 80's Swindon never seemed to struggle attracting quality managers and read an interesting article a while back that in general Bristol City could never get big names to join them because it's too far away from London, Surrey and the Home Counties as it can be upto a two hour drive each way with Swindon only being an hour. I don't think the emergence of Bristol Bears rugby has affected the football crowds as the the last couple of seasons they've have overnight 13,000 season ticket holders and average crowds have been around the 20k and Plymouths attendances have also been pretty good considering Exeter chiefs is just down the road but as you say they are out on a limb so will always struggle to attract decent players and managers even though it's a lovely part of the country. As for Bath & Gloucester rugby taking support away from Swindon I doubt it very much as I know a few who follow either team but aren't really interested in football and in general it seems to be a completely different fanbase.

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 16:54:07 »

To say they were angry after the game would be an understatement and wouldn't have fancied going through Grenville Smyth park with a few thousand nutters on the warpath

He mentioned it to a copper who advised him to do a big loop to his car, he did. He saw one shithead step out in front of a cantering police horse to lob a brick or something and got poleaxed by the horse.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 16:57:56 »

He mentioned it to a copper who advised him to do a big loop to his car, he did. He saw one shithead step out in front of a cantering police horse to lob a brick or something and got poleaxed by the horse.

Ashton Gate was always a nasty place to get in and out of no matter what transport you used and such a long walk back to temple meads but just as dangerous getting back to the coach park

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 17:59:21 »

Ashton Gate was always a nasty place to get in and out of no matter what transport you used and such a long walk back to temple meads but just as dangerous getting back to the coach park
I remember very well the football train specials of the 70s and 80s that went into Parson Street or Bedminster station with the old bill marching the 500+ Town fans down the side of the River Avon taking us the long way round to the ground with Shitty fans lobbing bricks and all kinds of stuff at us along the route.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 18:10:24 »

I remember very well the football train specials of the 70s and 80s that went into Parson Street or Bedminster station with the old bill marching the 500+ Town fans down the side of the River Avon taking us the long way round to the ground with Shitty fans lobbing bricks and all kinds of stuff at us along the route.

Never known a club have so many thugs looking for trouble

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, February 26, 2021, 15:32:27 »

What could possibly go wrong

https://nonleaguedaily.com/ex-swindon-chairman-mccrory-has-introduced-a-potential-investor-to-yeovil/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ex-swindon-chairman-mccrory-has-introduced-a-potential-investor-to-yeovil
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #51 on: Friday, February 26, 2021, 17:34:03 »

He has been one of the unnamed backers all along since the new owner took over 2 years ago.

Interesting post by a Yeovil fan on onefootballforum.

"Interesting twist, Jed McCrory has denied he's buying us. He did this by searching out one of our fans on Facebook after they mentioned him on Twitter, sent him a couple of private messages claiming it's all bollocks."

Former Swindon Town owner Jed McCrory has denied that he is part of a group purchasing Yeovil Town FC. The current Stratford Town owner, who was until earlier this month part of the set-up at Worcester Warriors Rugby Union club, has taken to Facebook to reply to one Glovers fan about the media reports linking him with the Huish Park ownership.

McCrory contacted the Glovers fan following saying with some sarcasm:

"I have been informed you would like to talk to me ref my atrocious record. I would be delighted to talk about my record with you, so please let me no (know) when you are available."

In a later reply, McCrory says:

"I'm not buying you're (your) football club. I have my own money but thanks for being concerned about me."

Another reply in the conversation says:

"Social media is full of people that write opinions, not facts. No club has ever gone pop under my remit ... The problem is you read social media and have an opinion without asking the person in kind. Therefore an opinion you take that isn't fact you spread and people that no (know) you start to believe ... You need to ask (journalist) Chris Spittles ... And you would be lucky to have me at Yeovil ... All the best next season, I truly would like Yeovil to get promoted next season ... all the best to you pal."

Despite some appalling grammar, the account appears to be genuine. McCrory's Facebook name of "GM McCrory" represents his full legal name of Gerard Martin McCrory. His timeline includes a December 2016 post relating to an FA Cup Second Round match between Luton Town and Solihull Moors - at that time a club he was a Director at. The account is also friends with a BBC Points West presenter that would have been working for the BBC around the time that McCrory was Swindon Town's owner.

This afternoon, we have also heard from an entirely different source, that McCrory is denying being the selected bidder that the club stated had been given preferred status last Friday. His denial would therefore cast doubt on Tuesday night's reports that he was part of the chosen consortium, giving a potential plot twist in terms of who will be buying the shares currently registered to Norman Hayward and John Fry under the Huish Park Stadium Partnership Limited company that is used to represent the ownership of the Yeovil Town FC companies.

If he does turn out to be our new owner, this would be a great start to an improvement in club-fans relationships .... denies being owner, blocks any fans who suggest otherwise

And a year ago.

Don't forget there are still a lot of rumours going around that Jed Mctwatface is part of the party that own Yeovil. He has a lifetime supply of brown envelopes...

The local paper the Western Gutsache still denies he is involved......they are wrong Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: