Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Country football  (Read 8692 times)
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 12:34:34 »

Looking a bit shit at the moment. Bristol City are in freefall and some of the posters on OTIB are getting concerned. Ourselves and Rovers are both useless and I can't get the table up but I don't think Yeovil are setting the Conference alight.

When the two teams doing reasonably well are Cheltenham and FGR, it's time to worry. Although never setting the world of football alight, it hasn't been like this for a long time. Why can't the area produce a decent team that stays decent?

Take your chips and fuck off home.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 12:37:14 »

Plymouth, Exeter, Torquay - they are west country clubs. Plymouth seem to be doing reasonably well.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 13:17:45 »

Bristol City is a strange one as they have the billionaire owner, great stadium & big fanbase yet they never seem to take it to the next level apart from a decent cup run 3 years ago and a brief stint in the old first division 76-80.
Maybe Lansdown likes his rugby more than football as he seems to invest heavily on decent coaches and playing staff where some of the managers they've had over recent seasons would have disappointed us lot and considering what they've got to offer they should be appointing bigger names than they have done. Maybe top managers have been interviewed and turned them down so it will be interesting to see who gets the job this time around.

Rovers are abit like us promised so much but nothing materialised and they are slowly decaying away. Cheltenham and FGR are both well run small clubs but with limited expectations the same as Exeter & Torquay where as location will probably stop Plymouth from a long stint in the championship as it's hard to attract both players and management to that part of the country.

So, give no fucks
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 13:24:50 »

With every passing season The Premier League moves a little further away from The Championship League. None of the West Country clubs will ever get near the EPL again in my opinion.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 13:42:51 »

As things currently stand, only BCFC have any realistic prospect of getting to the top division. I suspect that will be the case for many years.

Nothing to see here
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 17:47:50 »

As things currently stand, only BCFC have any realistic prospect of getting to the top division. I suspect that will be the case for many years.
That they have a realistic prospect - but won't get there!
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 18:14:51 »

That they have a realistic prospect - but won't get there!

Knowing nothing about the club, it does seem strange that they haven't been able to make it.  I am sure their followers consider that they have massive potential which has yet to be fulfilled.

Nothing to see here
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:29:30 »

Bristol City strike me as 'all the gear, no idea'.

They have everything in place off the pitch but don't have the courage to appoint the right manager or roll the dice in the transfer market.

They seem to try and replicate others (eg Swansea by drafting England youth coaches) without finding the key ingrediant, whatever that is.

I do enjoy living in Bristol during a good ol' fashioned City meltdown.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:31:42 »

Bristol City strike me as 'all the gear, no idea'.

They have everything in place off the pitch but don't have the courage to appoint the right manager or roll the dice in the transfer market.

They seem to try and replicate others (eg Swansea by drafting England youth coaches) without finding the key ingrediant, whatever that is.

I do enjoy living in Bristol during a good ol' fashioned City meltdown.

I think your assessment is spot on. Nice City Bristol if you forget the football rivalry but it would take a brave man to wear a STFC shirt there tho😀

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:45:12 »

I think your assessment is spot on. Nice City Bristol if you forget the football rivalry but it would take a brave man to wear a STFC shirt there tho😀
Used to wear mine regularly from 1988-1999 when I lived in Brizzle and in Yate. Had a few ripe comments particularly on the Monday in the city centre after we beat them 4-0 at Trashton. Went to replace one of my tyres in Yate before a Town game and was told to fuck off by a Slave Trader who hoped I crashed on the way to the game - blowing him a kiss as I walked out didn't seem to improve his mood or those of his mates.
Had many stand offs with City / Rovers fans but no punches thrown. I did, however pop out one evening about 9 to bump into Steve White who was surprised to see a Town shirt in Yate.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:47:36 »

Used to wear mine regularly from 1988-1999 when I lived in Brizzle and in Yate. Had a few ripe comments particularly on the Monday in the city centre after we beat them 4-0 at Trashton. Went to replace one of my tyres in Yate before a Town game and was told to fuck off by a Slave Trader who hoped I crashed on the way to the game - blowing him a kiss as I walked out didn't seem to improve his mood or those of his mates.
Had many stand offs with City / Rovers fans but no punches thrown. I did, however pop out one evening about 9 to bump into Steve White who was surprised to see a Town shirt in Yate.

Great story Chalkie and I guess if you were a cat you lost a few of your lifes😀 That 4-0 thrashing was superb and we literally played them off the park that day

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:53:16 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:53:25 »

Great story Chalkie and I guess if you were a cat you lost a few of your lifes😀 That 4-0 thrashing was superb and we literally played them off the park that day
It was a bit lary at times but I didn't really give a fuck. If I took a slap or 2 I'd have been proud. Now I couldn't give a fuck about the club. Times change.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:55:10 »

It was a bit lary at times but I didn't really give a fuck. If I took a slap or 2 I'd have been proud. Now I couldn't give a fuck about the club. Times change.

It just goes to show as we all get older there's more to life than football

So, give no fucks
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 19:59:57 »

Lived in Rovers territory for a few years in the 2000s. I occasionally wore some STFC apparel and never got any grief.

Nothing to see here
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 21, 2021, 20:07:24 »

Lived in Rovers territory for a few years in the 2000s. I occasionally wore some STFC apparel and never got any grief.
I always found rovers fans were ok with one or two cunts. City fans were just cunts, an odd decent one or two.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: