Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pompeii v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 29478 times)
REDBUCK

« Reply #495 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 01:13:18 »

It's not 1988.

The hollering maybe a little old fashioned but Payne really should be hitting the  target.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 02:24:50 »

I didn't refresh before posting

I didn't refresh before posting

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 06:21:26 »

The hollering maybe a little old fashioned but Payne really should be hitting the  target.

I don't think it is the fact that he is shouting, its what he is shouting. The way to get people to perform is to encourage not berate. There is no way I am going to walk into the office today and start telling my staff how crap they are! If someone does something wrong, you tell them its ok to make mistakes, but talk to them about how to improve next time. If they are trying hard and you want more, you use the 'even better if' strategy. You give them belief in themselves, you fluff them up! The thing you don't do is berate them infront of their peers, scream and shout obscenities at them or continuously put them down.

In a public facing business, you don't particularly want to come across as vulgar or rude either. Maybe its not fair to comment on Sheridan being foul mouthed, as, unless you are at the game, you don't normally hear that. But, there will have been impressionable young people watching that - If my kids were young, I would have switched off and not let them watch in future, because I wouldn't want them to think that behaviour is acceptable. If everyone else did that, then when crowds can come back, they won't! Although, having said that, many won't come back to watch such turgid dross anyway!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 06:23:43 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 08:54:39 »

I agree. the shouting was a damning insight into the lack of direction the team get and the conditions they work under, but not an outrage he said 'fuck'

while ifollow doesn't fall outside the Broadcasting watershed rules, the language used will be heard in the ground at almost every game.  interesting one for OFCOM if anyone is petty enough to completion
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 09:35:30 »

Well Power came into a fair bit of cash last night so hopefully he may see a small investment to protect a big investment? Manager only has contract till end of season so its only about 4 months money he will need to find to pay him off, perhaps we could have a whip round!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 09:36:32 »

The whip will do
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 09:43:39 »

I agree. the shouting was a damning insight into the lack of direction the team get and the conditions they work under, but not an outrage he said 'fuck'

while ifollow doesn't fall outside the Broadcasting watershed rules, the language used will be heard in the ground at almost every game.  interesting one for OFCOM if anyone is petty enough to completion

Quite right. Swearing at football is part and parcel of the game. The unhelpful bullying type shouting at the players is not. Even a Pompey journo picked up on it. If you are managing a team completely devoid of confidence shouting at them just isn't going to get you the desired effect.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 09:50:10 »

I honestly think that if fans were in attendance someone would have been on the pitch and decked the fucker by now.

Don’t suppose anyone knows if Power is in the UK or tucked up in his Swiss canton.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 09:52:54 »

I honestly think that if fans were in attendance someone would have been on the pitch and decked the fucker by now.

Don’t suppose anyone knows if Power is in the UK or tucked up in his Swiss canton.

The fans definitely would be more revolting than usual. I've seen the abuse levelled towards Embleton previously. I'm certain it would be much much worse for Sheridan. He seems to be revelling in being as utterly useless in his job as possible and having no fans to castigate him, he can get away with it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:08:59 »

Well Power came into a fair bit of cash last night so hopefully he may see a small investment to protect a big investment? Manager only has contract till end of season so its only about 4 months money he will need to find to pay him off, perhaps we could have a whip round!
I’ve got a feeling Power will act if there’s another lacklustre defeat on Saturday.

However, it will be tough selling the gig to a progressive new manager (which is the kind I’d like to see arrive) who’d be after some reassurance that there’s some kind of ambition at the club. So while I’d gladly wave goodbye to Sheridan, I’m not optimistic I’ll be saying hello to the kind of manager that might rekindle the torch.

As for Sheridan, he’s forever tainted.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:10:11 »

I don't think it is the fact that he is shouting, its what he is shouting. The way to get people to perform is to encourage not berate. There is no way I am going to walk into the office today and start telling my staff how crap they are! If someone does something wrong, you tell them its ok to make mistakes, but talk to them about how to improve next time. If they are trying hard and you want more, you use the 'even better if' strategy. You give them belief in themselves, you fluff them up! The thing you don't do is berate them infront of their peers, scream and shout obscenities at them or continuously put them down.

In a public facing business, you don't particularly want to come across as vulgar or rude either. Maybe its not fair to comment on Sheridan being foul mouthed, as, unless you are at the game, you don't normally hear that. But, there will have been impressionable young people watching that - If my kids were young, I would have switched off and not let them watch in future, because I wouldn't want them to think that behaviour is acceptable. If everyone else did that, then when crowds can come back, they won't! Although, having said that, many won't come back to watch such turgid dross anyway!

I think everyone is missing the original point.  It's not about whether he was wrong to bellow at the players or whether what he said or the way he said it was wrong - i think everyone agrees that it was.

Can Power use it as an excuse to sack him?  If he can then probably more than 50% of football managers are risking their jobs in a normal working week.

It might not be 1988, but we also haven't fallen so far into a pit of snowflakes that shouting and swearing in the workplace is a sackable offence - it's all about context of course.  My point was that, in context, how he behaved last night doesn't give Power an excuse to sack him for gross misconduct IMO.

As for the kids, you don't take your kids to football if you don't want them to hear swearing, the same would go for watching it on Ifollow or on Sky Sports for that matter.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:24:00 »

As for the kids, you don't take your kids to football if you don't want them to hear swearing, the same would go for watching it on Ifollow or on Sky Sports for that matter.
And as I understand it, the swearing was only audible if you had "No commentary" option on so surely if it was an issue, you'd just turn the commentary on?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:25:40 »

My point was that, in context, how he behaved last night doesn't give Power an excuse to sack him for gross misconduct IMO.

Did anyone actually suggest that? I'd be surprised if that was really a viable proposition put forward? No more than a pointless online petition to get rid of Power.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:29:03 »

He doesn’t need to be sacked for swearing. He needs to be sacked for being a fucking clueless tosspot.

Everyone expects us to get relegated if he stays so what’s the downside of putting him on gardening leave and having a couple of senior pros or Alan Mac, Mildy etc having a go.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:42:15 »

And as I understand it, the swearing was only audible if you had "No commentary" option on so surely if it was an issue, you'd just turn the commentary on?

Exactly

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: