Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Shrewsbury pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20034 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: Saturday, February 6, 2021, 20:35:36 »

The saddest thing for me was that after watching the first 10 minutes a defeat felt completely inevitable. Shrewsbury seemed to be playing to a plan that they believed in i.e pass to their own players and expose our weakness down the sides of our defence. Our plan seemed to be dont concede or spend any time on the ball, just get it forwards as quickly as possible, which was completely ineffective as Shrewsbury had more physically imposing players, both in defence and attack.

Again Sheridan seems unable to pick the right formation for the opposition he faces or motivate the players he picks. We were clearly being over run in midfield with our 2 small technically minded players - Lyden and Palmer - unable to get time on the ball, so he should have changed formation in the first half, by bringing on Missilou to add some bite to midfield and take Hope off, as he was not in the game at all. It was crying out for 3 in midfield.

His post match interview was a disgrace. How can he say that Shrewsbury weren't the better team. They were, when they needed to be, by a country mile.  He also said Travers had nothing to do! Travers made 2 saves with his legs to keep the score from being 0-3.

Thompsons interview was far more accurate and telling. He said he really enjoyed his 1st game at Ipswich, because he played with freedom and was able to express himself. Since then he has listened to his manager and he no longer looks like the same player. Similar with Twine.

The annoying thing is that we have some decent players, they just dont have any confidence or belief in what they are being asked to do. That is the managers fault 100%.

We will get relegated of that I am now sure. Just hoping we start in League 2 with new owners and a new manager, as without both of these things happening, I would expect Season Tickets to be at 1k max and facing a relegation battle for the 2nd consecutive season, as there wont be any money to invest in a decent league 2 squad. God the last 12 months have been complete shite.

Well said. Very much how I see it. We’re drifting on the pitch and off, at a time when the club has never needed the supporters’ backing more.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: Saturday, February 6, 2021, 22:47:09 »

There are professional protocols to respect. How do you think John Murray or Juliet Ferrington would have dealt with that differently? Hawes pressed, then gave Sheridan enough rope. You get far more from people by remaining civil than by creating a conflict. (/ruleforlife).

Absolutely. People expect the press to go and call him a cunt to some degree but of course open ended questions are perfectly fine. Seems El Shezza gets his feathers ruffled way too easily. In fairness though, amongst the continued confliction built into responses he has admitted that he knows the press will come out and ask difficult questions. But he doesn't handle even the light pressing that is offered up, that well.

Hawes is doing as good a job as he can and asking the right/important questions.

I'm not sure who said they think he is scared of the Jurassic one...I would say it is more the other way round. JS has been incredibly camera/Interview shy...notwithstanding his family troubles that have been well documented and we all understand in some way, but he would appear to not like it when AH asks "things", even simple things. It's as though he just has no idea what he's just been asked, and maybe he doesn't.

I ask then, how might this translate in the dressing room or training ground when trying to implement whatever "ideas" he has in his locker?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: Saturday, February 6, 2021, 22:48:22 »

I'm not...

...STFC is just the same loveable (sometimes infuriating) STFC it always has been, and always will be. She's just going through a bad patch and she gets my support while she's going through it.

And it's going to be A LOT of fun when she gets better again.

Spot on. Through thick n thin.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Saturday, February 6, 2021, 22:59:04 »

Absolutely. People expect the press to go and call him a cunt to some degree but of course open ended questions are perfectly fine. Seems El Shezza gets his feathers ruffled way too easily. In fairness though, amongst the continued confliction built into responses he has admitted that he knows the press will come out and ask difficult questions. But he doesn't handle even the light pressing that is offered up, that well.

Hawes is doing as good a job as he can and asking the right/important questions.

I'm not sure who said they think he is scared of the Jurassic one...I would say it is more the other way round. JS has been incredibly camera/Interview shy...notwithstanding his family troubles that have been well documented and we all understand in some way, but he would appear to not like it when AH asks "things", even simple things. It's as though he just has no idea what he's just been asked, and maybe he doesn't.

I ask then, how might this translate in the dressing room or training ground when trying to implement whatever "ideas" he has in his locker?
He asks very leading questions. Sheridan understands where they are going and is trying not to fall in the bear traps he offers.

The best examples today, of how good his questions were, is that he listened to what Sheridan said, and played it back to Thompson to see if he got different answers. For the most part, Thompson followed the party line. But, AW caught him out once, which led to him saying that he played with freedom in his first game, but has become progressively more shit as he tries to do what the manager wants. As a journo, I dont think it gets any better than that!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: Saturday, February 6, 2021, 23:12:41 »

He asks very leading questions. Sheridan understands where they are going and is trying not to fall in the bear traps he offers.

The best examples today, of how good his questions were, is that he listened to what Sheridan said, and played it back to Thompson to see if he got different answers. For the most part, Thompson followed the party line. But, AW caught him out once, which led to him saying that he played with freedom in his first game, but has become progressively more shit as he tries to do what the manager wants. As a journo, I dont think it gets any better than that!

Yep, he's being clever and working within the means of his allowable questioning. Go via the players, see if they respond with blanket answers...he does lead (or lay bait) but that's up to the manager/players to figure that out. And they aren't particularly difficult questions. Just questions that should be expected to have answers behind them.

In football terms he's probably not enjoying it but in a journalistic sense I am certain he is relishing the fact that he has JS by the ball sack. And JS knows it. He knows he has been found out and it's publicly unravelling too!

'Incessant Nonsense'

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: Saturday, February 6, 2021, 23:57:18 »

Andrew Hawes used to be a regular poster on here didn’t he? I’m sure he still lurks, or posts as an ITK, but fair play to him for showing a level of controlled frustration and restraint that I know I wouldn’t be able to with this manager.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 00:48:01 »

His post match interview was a disgrace. How can he say that Shrewsbury weren't the better team. They were, when they needed to be, by a country mile.  He also said Travers had nothing to do! Travers made 2 saves with his legs to keep the score from being 0-3.

Thompsons interview was far more accurate and telling. He said he really enjoyed his 1st game at Ipswich, because he played with freedom and was able to express himself. Since then he has listened to his manager and he no longer looks like the same player. Similar with Twine.

I couldn't agree more with what is said here. I cannot believe the utter contempt that Sheridan is showing towards the fans. Does he really believe that was an even game today? He has coached any talent out of the players by insisting on playing this nothing football - it's not long ball, it's not possession based... the only way I can think of describing it is defensive! Having 57% pass completion rate is the lowest I've heard in a league game before and by far the lowest I've heard a Swindon team have - some interesting passing statistics are here: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/8/Seasons/8305/Stages/18826/TeamStatistics/England-League-One-2020-2021

The decision making in the last few months has been embarrassing. I have already referred to bizarre use of substitutions before, but the use of the squad and the loan market is frightening. It says it all that we sent Matt Smith back to Arsenal and he joined a team chasing promotion. How could any player trust a manager who sends him back for footballing reasons? The fact that Johnny Smith (who I actually didn't think played that well whilst here) scored the winner for Burton against Hull says it all. Wouldn't surprise me to see him thrive there and for us to find out that he got 'Sheridaned.' And finally Grant, who was so important to our season last year - frozen out. Although he didn't look as great in the games this season, the bloke played on one leg through an injury and always gave everything he could for the team. Grant has referred before to wanting an arm round the shoulder and to feel important in the team, something which the Sheridactyl never would do. Even more baffling was the act of bringing in a player who appears to possess similar qualities when the finances are allegedly 'on the brink.'

I just pray that the players can revolt against the manager and play a style of football they feel comfortable with, the more they listen to this guy the worse it'll get. I have never been as against a manager at Swindon, I have and never will see anyone as clueless as this utter tosser.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 05:49:53 »

Is there a Domesday scenario where we go into Admin, get relegated anyway and start L2 next season with a 15 point deduction?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 08:55:29 »

“Sheridactyl”   Cheesy
Good work.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #549 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 09:13:44 »

I'm not.

Today was atrocious but I don't feel it, or this season, reflects the club overall. It's just a blemish on the club's long (and quite illustrious) history. I'm frustrated, annoyed, angry, upset, perplexed, and all the other adjectives that fit, but it doesn't change my feeling for STFC overall. It's like having a row with the misses. I get angry with her at times, fucking furious even, but it doesn't mean I love her any less.

This phase will pass and we will, hopefully, move on to a better phase relatively soon. Getting relegated again, which is looking likely if we don't change the manager, will be gutting. But playing in the 4th tier didn't cause me to lose my love for the club last season or any other season we were there. I will be following pre-season and our signings just as eagerly as I would be if we were in the Premiership. Last season, in the bottom tier, reminded me that it can be great to be an STFC fan.

STFC is just the same loveable (sometimes infuriating) STFC it always has been, and always will be. She's just going through a bad patch and she gets my support while she's going through it.

And it's going to be A LOT of fun when she gets better again.

Absolutely mate.

What bothers me most is that defeat yesterday no longer hurts as it should.

It just felt it was always coming from the minute the game kicked off.

Lets just see what state the club is in when it finally gets its new owner in place and regroup then, I just hope we don't enter a Wigan style scenario to achieve it.

Also pretty much exactly what Kirky says too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 09:13:58 »

The fact that the players absolutely detest him is making it worse.
Everything was “one” last season and has been dismantled in an incredibly short period of time.
Like others have said I resent this incompetent twat more than any other Swindon Manager since I have been Supporting them from the mid 70’s.
Any other normal Club he would have been gone but Power has only one other thing on his mind -ownership. Last night I have come to the harsh decision that given a choice I would accept administration if it meant the end of Lee Power and trust me that is highly likely.
Equally and through blind optimism I still think he will be gone in 3 months. I hope so and we can get back to building this club again.
The biggest dilemma we all face is when season ticket money is due. If LP is still owning the club this could well be the biggest decision I have ever had to make supporting Swindon. Right now I would not renew an early bird and delay it as much as possible looking at whether new ownership is highly likely.
Lost the last crumb of respect for Power. Who in their own minds would offer funds after what he has done and being exposed in a Court? - Sadly only more like him.
We are on a knife edge.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #551 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 09:34:11 »

Sadly, I expect us to be stuck with the prehistoric one until Power gets shot of the club. I no longer care whether we are in L1 or L2 next season to be honest. I just want to get to a point where I see a team on the pitch trying their best rather than 11 blokes turning up and going through the motions for 90 minutes.

I don't get excited when we score or angry when we concede; I flatline. I don't bother to look at who is playing or who isn't because its irrelevant as we don't bother with style, shape or tactics.  We would make Messi and Mbappe look shit.

This reminds of the pre Macari Div4 days when me and my mate would sit on the Stratton Bank terrace praying for full time. I just about care enough to keep stumping a tenner to watch this shit.

On to Pompey and a continuation of this anti football.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 17:46:43 »

Anthony Grant on the Supporters Club Panel tomorrow - will be interesting to see what / how much he says
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 17:53:27 »

Anthony Grant on the Supporters Club Panel tomorrow - will be interesting to see what / how much he says

Is that confirmed?
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 18:43:13 »

Is that confirmed?

Apologies - looks like my old man has fed me some false information. Tosser!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: