Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Has he gone yet?  (Read 99657 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #795 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 09:59:33 »

Everyone blames Wellens for Kovar, when it was clear that we preferred Baxter but couldn't afford him. Not sure how that's RWs fault (like a lot of the summer recruitment). Recruitment had one hand tied behind their backs all summer.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:03:19 »

Its common knowledge that we were offered Baxter at a reduced wage cost but still Wellens chose Kovar.

Blame=Wellens I am afraid fair and square.

Accrington could not match the wages we were offering yet still bagged him after RW decided he would rather go for Kovar.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:06:10 »

Everyone blames Wellens for Kovar, when it was clear that we preferred Baxter but couldn't afford him. Not sure how that's RWs fault (like a lot of the summer recruitment). Recruitment had one hand tied behind their backs all summer.

Agree with this - lots are quick to forget that the recruitment budget tap was effectively turned off and ultimately led to Wellens jumping ship.  Had the scenario been similar to last year, i don't think Wellens would have signed the majority of the players that he brought in this season - and he might have still been here.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:07:07 »

Obviously not Wellens fault we didn’t get Baxter.
His decision to sign Kovar though, right?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:16:11 »

That, and us saying we had bid for Yates when we obviously had not. I reckon that’s when Wellens knew the game was up with us.
Panda Paws

« Reply #800 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:18:06 »

His decision to sign Kovar though, right?

Partly. How quickly did we have to move when the Baxter deal got pulled? Lots of unknowns.
Flashheart

« Reply #801 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:22:44 »

Except - it was. From what I remember.

At first he was too much, so we went for Kovar instead. Chelsea then dropped the asking price (which is probably why Accrington can afford him) but Wellens chose to stick with Kovar instead.

I can't find where it was mentioned (maybe somebody else can), but I clearly remember it and it was a bit of a 'fuck you Chelsea, lolz' moment at the time. Unfortunately, it turned out the lolz were on us.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:36:20 »

Except - it was. From what I remember.

At first he was too much, so we went for Kovar instead. Chelsea then dropped the asking price (which is probably why Accrington can afford him) but Wellens chose to stick with Kovar instead.

I can't find where it was mentioned (maybe somebody else can), but I clearly remember it and it was a bit of a 'fuck you Chelsea, lolz' moment at the time. Unfortunately, it turned out the lolz were on us.

Maybe...

I’d have thought by the time Chelsea dropped the price we’d already agreed the deal for Kovar!?
Flashheart

« Reply #803 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:48:37 »

I’d have thought by the time Chelsea dropped the price we’d already agreed the deal for Kovar!?

That's not how I remember it - but my memory may be failing me.

Either way. It still does not excuse signing Kovar.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #804 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 10:55:44 »

No on the contrary, I quite agree on the assessment of his ability. Where I disagree is purely on the "why defend him" part. I think given the parameters, even a dead Ray Charles would be able to see that he wasn't up to it and What I'd Say is that in every game it was a painful case of Here We Go Again...

Luckily he Hit the Road in January, and all we have left are Sweet Memories.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #805 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 11:15:56 »

Kovar signed on 28th August, baxter signed for Accrington on 9th October.

Baxters last game for us was 15th August when Wellens was told of the availability of Kovar hence the hastily arranged training match between us and United on 18th August by which time Baxter had gone back to Chelsea.

Discussions continued between Swindon and Chelsea carried on and Derby and Sunderland were said to be interested so Chelsea stood by their guns on wages hoping that both would pay substantially more % of his wages than we would. Sunderland signed Matthews on 21st August and the Derby loan fell through then too.

Both those moves quickly disappeared and Chelsea then lowered their wage demands but Wellens played hard ball with Chelsea out of stubborness after they came back with a lower wage contribution demand.

On an aside....during the keeper crisis pre season we gave a trial to Alhaji Sesay in the game vs Melksham......a few days ago this happened, bullet dodged....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-56430523

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 14:24:30 »

Luckily he Hit the Road in January, and all we have left are Sweet Memories.

Thank you for noticing. Don't Change On Me.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 17:51:28 »

I see he’s calling out Conroy’s “fitness” today. To criticise a player who has fought back from two potentially career ending injuries is not good management. Injuries do not always occur becomes someone is “unfit”. And sometimes all the work in the world won’t fix you. Still hope the ignorant fool keeps us up, but he’ll still be ignorant.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 18:13:03 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 18:04:42 »

^^^ just read that and thought the same
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: Thursday, April 1, 2021, 19:34:21 »

In Sheridan’s defence, Conroy has looked unfit and in all honesty has been fucking useless lately.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: