Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Has he gone yet?  (Read 98925 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 08:55:12 »

Scraping a few results playing a truly dismal ‘style’ of football is no long term plan to progress a club.

I think we’re all hoping for a complete clean sweep of ownership and management.

Another season with Sheridactyl doesn’t bear thinking about.

This all day. I don’t want to rock up at the CG for a season of this shit.
Mind you the first thing is to sort the ploughed field out.
Replace the Winter Wheat with Grass.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 09:00:56 »

If he keeps Town in L1 then it's job done and I'll be grateful but I remain certain that John Sheridan isn't the future and that he's only here as long as the ownership remains at the club.

It would also take one hell of an argument for anyone to convince me that the 90 minutes against Crewe and the 45 minutes against Northampton were all part of the tactical masterplan. Lincoln was good.

But 'points not performances' and all that.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 13:35:04 by Costanza » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #392 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 10:08:42 »

This team is better than it's position in the league.

I'll be grateful if he keeps us up but he should not be here next season. I won't be surprised if he's not here at the end of this season.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 10:20:58 »

If he keeps Town in L1 then it's job done and I'll be grateful but I remain certain that John Sheridan isn't the future and that he's only here as long as the ownership remains at the club.

It would also take one hell of an argement for anyone to convince me that the 90 minutes against Crewe and the 45 minutes against Northampton were all part of the tactical masterplan. Lincoln was good.

totally agree.

If we stay up I'll shake his hand, buy him a pint then order him a taxi
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #394 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 10:27:23 »

It would also take one hell of an argement for anyone to convince me that the 90 minutes against Crewe and the 45 minutes against Northampton were all part of the tactical masterplan. Lincoln was good.

This 100%

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 11:09:25 »

Sheridan is not really a Swindon Town-type manager, or the kind any progressive club is likely to engage.  Very much echoes of John Hart for me.  For all the angst we have shared over the years, we have generally been quite progressive in our managerial appointments.  So regardless of the outcome of this season I would hope that he will have moved on by the start of next. 

Far more important, to me, is the question of ownership.   

I recall Sheridan as a highly skilled midfielder and could imagine myself being excited by his appointment in other circumstances, had he been 25 years younger.  20 years on, he obviously now realises he's never really achieved so much, even at our level.  However, he does keep getting the appointments, which is more than many aspiring managers achieve.

Sheridan admits to being hurt by the criticism (football manager not a great career choice perhaps?) and has of course lost both his parents over Christmas (https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19100893.john-sheridan-admits-tough-switch-off-manager/).  Whilst we are still fighting for survival, every individual connected with the playing squad, inc. JS,  has my full support. 

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 11:27:59 »

Sheridan is not really a Swindon Town-type manager, or the kind any progressive club is likely to engage.  Very much echoes of John Hart for me.  For all the angst we have shared over the years, we have generally been quite progressive in our managerial appointments.  So regardless of the outcome of this season I would hope that he will have moved on by the start of next. 

Far more important, to me, is the question of ownership.   

I recall Sheridan as a highly skilled midfielder and could imagine myself being excited by his appointment in other circumstances, had he been 25 years younger.  20 years on, he obviously now realises he's never really achieved so much, even at our level.  However, he does keep getting the appointments, which is more than many aspiring managers achieve.

Sheridan admits to being hurt by the criticism (football manager not a great career choice perhaps?) and has of course lost both his parents over Christmas (https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19100893.john-sheridan-admits-tough-switch-off-manager/).  Whilst we are still fighting for survival, every individual connected with the playing squad, inc. JS,  has my full support. 

Good post and it's only the older supporting like us will remember that Sheriden was a classy midfield player so it's surprising that he didn't take that into management. Like you say if you don't like personal criticism maybe being a football manager is the wrong job but you have to give him respect for carrying on when he went through so much with both parents dying which would be hard for anyone to put up with.

So, give no fucks
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 11:53:16 »

totally agree.

If we stay up I'll shake his hand, buy him a pint then order him a taxi

You may touch elbows, offer him a socially distanced (and sanitised) can of beer and encourage him to avoid public transport  Busted

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 12:34:17 »

But, looking back, progressive managerial appoints haven't yielded any further progress up the football pyramid.  If PDC is regarded as a progressive appointment, one has to acknowledge the fact that he appeared to have the benefit of unlimited funds.

Again, I am no Sheridan fan but if the club remains in the third tier then great.  If the results continue along current lines, why not give him another go

I suppose it all comes down to expectations.  I probably take a slightly more pragmatic approach.

Nothing to see here
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 13:44:05 »

I suppose it all comes down to expectations.  I probably take a slightly more pragmatic approach.

Swindon have been in either L1 or L2 for 21 years now, I have no expectations beyond remaining in L1.

I'm not even sure what I want in terms of manager beyond 'a good one'  Smiley
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 13:54:50 »

Swindon have been in either L1 or L2 for 21 years now, I have no expectations beyond remaining in L1.

I'm not even sure what I want in terms of manager beyond 'a good one'  Smiley

I suppose the problem with those managers considered to be good 'uns is that they bugger off as soon as they can. 

Nothing to see here
Panda Paws

« Reply #401 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 14:06:59 »

Football is an entertainment business. That's why you don't appoint John Sheridan beyond the summer.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 14:16:17 »

Forget the rivalry but I am envious of our neighbours down the M4

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 14:20:21 »

Until someone comes in and sorts out the fundamentals that have plagued the club forever nothing much will change.

The Town End and Stratton Bank should have been consigned to history decades ago. The promise of a 50/50 ownership of the CG gives some hope on that front.

Any success this club has achieved in its history has never been built upon. We’ve lurched from success to disaster in short bursts of time. Some of our historical rivals have kicked on massively whilst we’ve stagnated - or, more truthfully, gone backwards.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Sunday, February 28, 2021, 14:21:34 »

Until someone comes in and sorts out the fundamentals that have plagued the club forever nothing much will change.

The Town End and Stratton Bank should have been consigned to history decades ago. The promise of a 50/50 ownership of the CG gives some hope on that front.

No success this club has achieved in its history has never been built upon. We’ve lurched from success to disaster in short bursts of time. Some of our historical rivals have kicked on massively whilst we’ve stagnated - or, more truthfully, gone backwards.

Spot on and as much as I hate to say it Bristol City are a well run club who got lucky with a billionaire owner

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: