Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Plymouth pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 31904 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:45:05 »

Whilst that is a great theory regarding tactics we are talking about the basics, no one is saying the instructions are clear as we know they are not but again it goes back to effort and the basics,that's nothing to do with understanding the tactics

That is kind of my point though (which we might disagree on), the basics alone at elite level just aren't enough to be good enough. I get that you are saying they are also currently appear to be missing but my point furthered reasons as to why. I can definitely see why, on the surface, that it might look like they've lost any basic ability but there is more to it than that.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:45:40 »

Agree with all except this. He was a pretty decent footballer in his prime. Ask Wednesday fans and any Republic of Ireland follower. He did do what many never do, went to two World Cups and a Euros.

However, we're talking about him as a manager and he's quite poor.

Chuck in a winning goal in a league cup final as well
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:49:18 »

Im not entirely sure to be honest, i think his funding may have been cut or something like that. He doesnt talk about it much to be fair

That's totally understandable and reflects similar to the guy I know/knew. I do wonder sometimes what they might be doing now and if that motivates them enough to have a full life. I'm sure it does to some degree but there must be a certain part that (when you know you have a certain level of talent) nags away at them. I know it would with me.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:51:40 »

Fuck me, players don’t need clear and concise tactics in order to get the notion that they should try and stop the other team from scoring.

Of course but you are more than clever enough to know that at professional level, there is a bit more to it than that. If there wasn't all of us would have been pro footballers and now managing elite level sports instead of talking about it at lunchtime on a footy forum  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:55:13 »

For me the culprit is Power.

Sheridan has been a jobbing lower league manager of very modest attainment but he has actually maintained a career deserving of a modicum of respect.

He arrives here at the tail end of that career, faltering coaching powers and. almost certainly, a bad attitude to man management.

On the pitch, he is 90% responsible for what is happening in terms of performance

It may be unattractive but why doubt Charlie Austin's "downing tools" insight.  There comes a time when futile "King & Country" orders to charge across the trenches lose credibility.  Without even the anger or encouragement of a crowd, the manager's role is even more determining.

On the playing side, I would pick out Matt Smith.  Earlier this season he knew what he was trying to do and his creative passing, especially through balls, constantly gave opposing sides pause for thought.  That is gone.  You need a system and other players making the runs.  His precious talent, the creative pass, is now superfluous.  He still runs about and tries but last night he seemed to lose the will.  I sympathize.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:00:22 »

Of course but you are more than clever enough to know that at professional level, there is a bit more to it than that. If there wasn't all of us would have been pro footballers and now managing elite level sports instead of talking about it at lunchtime on a footy forum  Smiley

I do of course fully understand there is a lot to it than just defending.
However, if all the tactics are lost in translation (if they even exist) then I’d suggest the defence would/could/should revert to the very basics. Stick to your man, stay in a line and clear the ball.

The ball would keep coming back at us, we’d probably still concede anyway if the opposition are half decent.

It’s a complete regression for a professional football player but I’d expect them to revert to the basics than to complete forget the basics.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:11:00 »

See he’s slagging off the players again in the Adver.

The sooner this comes to a head the better.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:11:25 »

I do of course fully understand there is a lot to it than just defending.
However, if all the tactics are lost in translation (if they even exist) then I’d suggest the defence would/could/should revert to the very basics. Stick to your man, stay in a line and clear the ball.

It’s a complete regression for a professional football player but I’d expect them to revert to the basics than to complete forget the basics.

I know you do really, which is why I highlighted you knowing so Smiley

And what you say on the surface of it is correct in its simplest form but that still won't work if the opposition are doing more than the basics. It goes back to being able to compete and the top levels need more than just the basics. But I appreciate that the squad should be able to revert to it, it's just my belief/opinion that in order to beat/compete with teams they need to be capable of doing more than that.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:30:06 »

See he’s slagging off the players again in the Adver.

The sooner this comes to a head the better.

Thats not entirely fair, he was merely pointing out that they are not Premier Legaue standard, which is obviously why we pay him for such astute and incisive opinions...

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19042346.john-sheridan-says-players-not-premier-league-standard/

I know its the Advertiser but he does come across as a particularly clueless and obnoxious arse!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:37:55 »

Well, he’s not a PL manager. Still wrong to go public that the players are not carrying out his instructions - if, indeed, there are any.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #535 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:41:45 »

In fairness to the grumpy northern wanker, they haven't yet shown they're even League One standard
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:45:38 »

I'm with Bamboo on this.  I'm  not giving the players a pass, the early season mistakes were personal issues.

Saying "just defend" is a massive over simplification.  As evidence I present the late 80's Arsenal defence.  Individually, they were pretty good, but not always the best in their own position in the league at that time.  Together, as a unit, they were impressive.  That was a taught system of defending, not just relying on their individual talent.  As Bamboo states, the margins are thin in professional sport - most players earning at this level are pretty good.  The difference in teams tends to be the coaching and the belief all mixed together.

Another piece of evidence.  I had the pleasure of listening to a Sports Psychologist talk about his time with Darren Clarke, the golfer.  He'd won his first major I think , or been top 10, something like that, but then he dropped within a year to 150ish in the world.  He discussed how fragile the professional sport persons confidence can be, and those thin margins.  Darren had started to believe his method was flawed, that he wasn't going to hit the perfect shot etc.

Our team right now has the perfect blend of both issues, the bad stuff.

We do not have a clear plan - the players are not being drilled - they simply cannot be because we change formation every week and players.  Conroy said in his comments that moving to a bacl three was OK because they'd done that recently.  That just belies the issue - just because we put three centre backs together does not mean they all know precisely where to position when defending, and more critically, how to position when we HAVE the ball (because we are conceding a lot in transition).

The Arsenal team was drilled - old skool maybe, using rope to keep them in line, but then it became an ingrained behaviour.  Over time, you know where to be, you trust the others to be where they need to be.  Our lot are playing while trying to remember where they should be, they probably are not sure of the person next to them either.

On top of that, we have players trying to figure it out for themselves and, it seems as an observer, having to rely on their individual talent.  Of course they can pass a ball, of course they can cross, of course Thompson can take a free kick.  It's a fine margin if your confidence is not 100% though, and that free kick now looks highly unlikely to get over the wall, so I'll try and add a bit more height, oops, I've slipped and now it hit the Town End roof.

That bit, a good coach can be working with them to build their confidence - lets try it again, you can do this.  Players probably can take more personal responsibility here, and it seems they probably have to because their is no evidence others are helping them much.

If we rely on our team trying to play to their best as individuals, we will fail, we are failing.  They will look like they can't do the basics, they will look foolish, they will concede goals and look disorganised in attack.

I hated Flitcroft - he is better than Sheridan as a coach.  Terrible style but he drilled the players to play.  He'd get more out of this team results wise, b ut it would be just as painful to watch.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 14:48:40 by RobertT » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #537 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 15:06:10 »

One thing I will say about Sheridan....

He is galvanizing the fans and players, into hating him.

It is damn rare to have a manager so universally disliked by players and fans alike.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #538 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 15:07:07 »

Except for Mex  Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 15:09:18 »

Mex is a wrong un

Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: