Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Plymouth pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 32383 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 22:17:53 »

that's going too far. as someone else said, it's not his fault
I agree - My 'moral majority' label from many years ago coming out perhaps. But what did that person expect other than to cause more problems in the dressing room?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 22:19:12 »

that's going too far. as someone else said, it's not his fault
Surely not a great idea to be replying to Twitter DM’s at all yet alone 15 minutes after the worst performance of the season though. Doesn’t paint him as being an overly pleasant individual judging from his response.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 22:23:15 »

You've got to be a bit special to DM a player in anger.  If Sheridan phoned me-up and said they'd fly me back and pay for me to sit on the bench with a few minutes here and there, I would not let the fact I am 45, unfit and not that good get in the way of giving it a go.  People in leadership are there for a reason, lead.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 22:48:38 »

I think Sheridan has had his chance.
Time to get him and Wright out. Possibly Jewell as well.

I guess that leaves Mildenhall in charge?

Which means another rebuild - much too late this season for that. Then everyone out in the summer I expect. There can’t be many under contract or any who’d want to sign a new one anyway, even if we wanted to offer them one - which we probably don’t.

I don’t even want think about how much of a struggle next season will be...

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 22:53:53 »

Also, it’s a point I make every time but for the love of god stop hiring ‘Merry go round managers’ if Sheridan was deemed not good enough for Oldham, Chesterfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Notts County, Oldham, Fleetwood, Carlisle & Chesterfield again

Why after 15 years and 675 odd games would be suddenly become a good manager?

Let’s just stick to young, hungry managers who want to make a good impression - even if it’s just so they can fuck off up the food chain ASAP.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:13:05 »

Also, it’s a point I make every time but for the love of god stop hiring ‘Merry go round managers’ if Sheridan was deemed not good enough for Oldham, Chesterfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Notts County, Oldham, Fleetwood, Carlisle & Chesterfield again

Let’s just stick to young, hungry managers who want to make a good impression - even if it’s just so they can fuck off up the food chain ASAP.

Just had a long chat with my son on the very same thinking. Does it have to be an old British ex-pro who has realistically done very little in the managerial stakes or go for someone younger/not British/tactically aware and perhaps a bloody good man manager?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:14:34 »

Like Luke Williams you mean? I'm playing devil's advocate to some extent, but making the point that there isn't a guaranteed formula, young and hungry can go tits-up as well
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:20:16 »

I can only assume the Twine substitution was part of a deliberate strategy to so thoroughly piss him off that he agrees or even asks to be sold.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:22:03 »

Like Luke Williams you mean? I'm playing devil's advocate to some extent, but making the point that there isn't a guaranteed formula, young and hungry can go tits-up as well

True, nothing is guaranteed in football obviously.

Considering his reputation as a good coach, it’s was probably a gamble worth taking. In hindsight we probably let it run a bit too long but hey ho.

Still better than the Sheridan/Hart route.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:23:15 »

Just had a long chat with my son on the very same thinking. Does it have to be an old British ex-pro who has realistically done very little in the managerial stakes or go for someone younger/not British/tactically aware and perhaps a bloody good man manager?

Anyone who has the hunger & ambition to succeed who doesn’t have a massive list of failures already on his cv.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:29:12 »

True, nothing is guaranteed in football obviously.

Considering his reputation as a good coach, it’s was probably a gamble worth taking. In hindsight we probably let it run a bit too long but hey ho.

Still better than the Sheridan/Hart route.
TBF (and slightly arguing against my own devil's avocado), I think the talk was that Williams didn't really want to be manager, he wanted to continue as a coach and only agreed to take the role as manager reluctantly. Which probably puts him outside your definition a bit
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:31:46 »

TBF (and slightly arguing against my own devil's avocado), I think the talk was that Williams didn't really want to be manager, he wanted to continue as a coach and only agreed to take the role as manager reluctantly. Which probably puts him outside your definition a bit

I expect not having a pro career also put him at a disadvantage with regards to dealing with the dressing room but that’s purely assumption on my part.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:34:56 »

I expect not having a pro career also put him at a disadvantage with regards to dealing with the dressing room but that’s purely assumption on my part.
Doesn't seem to have hampered Mourinho or AVB particularly. IIRC one of the things Williams was alleged to have got wrong was that he was too cosy with the players if anything. Oh and by the way, apologies to Luke Williams for this example - while it clearly didn't work well for him as manager here, he is clearly an intelligent guy and I have no doubt he learned loads from the things that went wrong for him here that will, if he is ever minded to try again as a manager, make him much better at it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:38:41 »

Quote from: pauld
I can only assume the Twine substitution was part of a deliberate strategy to so thoroughly piss him off that he agrees or even asks to be sold.

he wasn't in the game at all to be fair
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 23:46:02 »

Doesn't seem to have hampered Mourinho or AVB particularly. IIRC one of the things Williams was alleged to have got wrong was that he was too cosy with the players if anything. Oh and by the way, apologies to Luke Williams for this example - while it clearly didn't work well for him as manager here, he is clearly an intelligent guy and I have no doubt he learned loads from the things that went wrong for him here that will, if he is ever minded to try again as a manager, make him much better at it.

I’d somewhat suggest working alongside Bobby Robson at Sporting CP, Porto and Barcelona is a much better education for dealing with dressing rooms than Brighton u21s
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: