Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Plymouth pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 31907 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 12:37:17 »

He always emphasised that it takes a while to coach a team into playing a particular way.

We may have to disagree about his qualities as a manager, but I was reminded of what it felt like to have a boss who had a clear plan, and was able to articulate it.

Listening to Sheridan's aimless drivel after every game, I miss that. And I expect the players do too.
Oh don't get me wrong he had a set plan whereas Sheridan plays lottery football. However I still think having a striker going through a freak season in terms of goal scoring papered over a few cracks. Doyle was the difference for us last season, take him out of the equation and we'd have been in the play-offs at best IMO as prolific goal scorers make all the difference and his goal scoring run from Stevenage home game set us on our way.

Also worth remembering they were pretty much in the same position as they are now when Wellens joined as Alexander wasn't exactly doing a bad job. No idea the style Alexander had them playing though....
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:08:13 »

I'm with Theakston in regard to players tactically/technically lost via zero guidance/instruction from the manager.

I think as fans, some see tactics or even the basics as the same kind of instruction as many of us may have experienced at youth or possibly Sunday League level. Several not really looking at it with "elite level" eyes or minds. Where the margins for success are much finer yet make a huge difference.

Let's say there is a club level sprinter. They aren't paid but they train within their own means/personal budget. They do all the basics right and that's good enough to be selected for an event or two; maybe even good enough to qualify for a national qualifier selection event. It then hits home as they see the competition is much, much more detailed, fitter, faster, have defined training and diet regimes, are sponsored by a major brand which enables them to focus full time, has a professional coach and everything about their life is monitored. They follow instruction to the rule because they know this is a direct path to success and they must be disciplined enough, as well as have the correct guidance to achieve this.

Back to the club level sprinter. He's good enough, he can do the basics to some degree and has posted good times but those things are no longer good enough to compete in that elite level. He recognises he needs the extra tools, like those he is now competing with so he gets a coach, one that possibly has told them they can provide them with the tools they need to gain success. What he doesn't realise at first is that this coach isn't very good. But as he's seen others in his field, he needs to follow instruction to the letter in order to get the success he knows he is capable of. But due to his coach not being so great, there are parts missing still that others have and these fine margins (as mentioned above) make a huge difference. Especially in sprinting where we're talking maybe 5millisecs between 1st and 3rd, maybe 10millisecs between 1st and not qualifying.

We can apply a similar process across all elite sport. Pretty much every part has to be consistently brilliant, not just one or two bits. Can't "just" apply the basics and hope that that is good enough. Not at pro level. That is why some of these players are confused. Not because they don't know how to pass or shoot or head etc. but the instruction is devoid and conflicts with probably nearly everything they have been drilled to understand to date.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:10:28 »

Sheridan seems like a no hoper.

Not that great as a pro footballer.
Not that great as a manager.

Johnny Average all the way around.

We have players that can play, we just need someone with a clear way of managing that can get the best out of what we've got. Someone to give a bit of oomph to this lot and quickly.

Curran is a joke. Whatever that situation is, needs sorting out. We have better in the academy than him.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:11:57 »

I work with someone who cycled in the Commonwealth Games and was world Junior champion in track cycling. He packed it in due to the pressure etc.

Was mentored by and touted as the next Chris Hoy too
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:14:27 »

We have players that can play, we just need someone with a clear way of managing that can get the best out of what we've got. Someone to give a bit of oomph to this lot and quickly.

Curran is a joke. Whatever that situation is, needs sorting out. We have better in the academy than him.

In fairness, JS was a decent player.

I am also losing a bit a faith in him as a manager.

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:18:23 »

TBH "Not that great" would be fine. Instead we seem to have "utterly fucking abysmal"
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:28:32 »

I work with someone who cycled in the Commonwealth Games and was world Junior champion in track cycling. He packed it in due to the pressure etc.

Was that due to the added demands it put on his life (as he knew it) Tans? I can in some way appreciate that. I was at school with a middle distance running lad, who was bandied as a future potential GB medal hope. He also packed in due to the demands/pressures enforced by UK Sport.

It's a side many don't ever see, let alone understand when we get to cheer/celebrate a medalist on a podium. Incredible sacrifices from anything considered a normal lifestyle. Always some form of price to pay.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:31:47 »

It’s totally irrelevant but he was a bloody good player at pretty much the highest level.

Anything else is complete revisionist history
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:32:47 »

Who just out of interest?
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #519 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:33:40 »

I'm with Theakston in regard to players tactically/technically lost via zero guidance/instruction from the manager.

I think as fans, some see tactics or even the basics as the same kind of instruction as many of us may have experienced at youth or possibly Sunday League level. Several not really looking at it with "elite level" eyes or minds. Where the margins for success are much finer yet make a huge difference.

Let's say there is a club level sprinter. They aren't paid but they train within their own means/personal budget. They do all the basics right and that's good enough to be selected for an event or two; maybe even good enough to qualify for a national qualifier selection event. It then hits home as they see the competition is much, much more detailed, fitter, faster, have defined training and diet regimes, are sponsored by a major brand which enables them to focus full time, has a professional coach and everything about their life is monitored. They follow instruction to the rule because they know this is a direct path to success and they must be disciplined enough, as well as have the correct guidance to achieve this.

Back to the club level sprinter. He's good enough, he can do the basics to some degree and has posted good times but those things are no longer good enough to compete in that elite level. He recognises he needs the extra tools, like those he is now competing with so he gets a coach, one that possibly has told them they can provide them with the tools they need to gain success. What he doesn't realise at first is that this coach isn't very good. But as he's seen others in his field, he needs to follow instruction to the letter in order to get the success he knows he is capable of. But due to his coach not being so great, there are parts missing still that others have and these fine margins (as mentioned above) make a huge difference. Especially in sprinting where we're talking maybe 5millisecs between 1st and 3rd, maybe 10millisecs between 1st and not qualifying.

We can apply a similar process across all elite sport. Pretty much every part has to be consistently brilliant, not just one or two bits. Can't "just" apply the basics and hope that that is good enough. Not at pro level. That is why some of these players are confused. Not because they don't know how to pass or shoot or head etc. but the instruction is devoid and conflicts with probably nearly everything they have been drilled to understand to date.
Whilst that is a great theory regarding tactics we are talking about the basics, no one is saying the instructions are clear as we know they are not but again it goes back to effort and the basics,that's nothing to do with understanding the tactics
tans

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:35:17 »

Who just out of interest?

Sent you a dm
tans

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:36:47 »

Was that due to the added demands it put on his life (as he knew it) Tans? I can in some way appreciate that. I was at school with a middle distance running lad, who was bandied as a future potential GB medal hope. He also packed in due to the demands/pressures enforced by UK Sport.

It's a side many don't ever see, let alone understand when we get to cheer/celebrate a medalist on a podium. Incredible sacrifices from anything considered a normal lifestyle. Always some form of price to pay.

Im not entirely sure to be honest, i think his funding may have been cut or something like that. He doesnt talk about it much to be fair
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:40:01 »

Agree with all except this. He was a pretty decent footballer in his prime. Ask Wednesday fans and any Republic of Ireland follower. He did do what many never do, went to two World Cups and a Euros.

However, we're talking about him as a manager and he's quite poor.

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:40:05 »

It’s totally irrelevant but he was a bloody good player at pretty much the highest level.

Anything else is complete revisionist history

This
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 13:43:24 »

Fuck me, players don’t need clear and concise tactics in order to get the notion that they should try and stop the other team from scoring.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: