Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town match day thread  (Read 25585 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 20:06:01 »

Ipswich's last 5 games have seen 2 wins and 3 defeats, those wins were both against Burton! Charlton's recent form has been 1 win in 8. We have new players on board and we still managed to concede 6 goals in those 3 matches.
But we've also scored 6,  and that's without a recognised goalscoring striker.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Saturday, January 23, 2021, 20:24:48 »

Seen you posted his name a few times. Any reason? Is he your pal or something?  Cheesy

Naturally, I know his Dad. Oh no sorry, that was Sid Nelson's Dad

What's the deal with Ricketts?

Can you encourage relatives of other players to join the TEF so that we can get an insight into what's really going on?

I can only try. Will put the word in  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
digby

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 02:39:04 »

I haven't read back yet and I'm only going by what I saw on the ifollow match but I reckon there was more than a hint of offside for both of the Charlton goals. In fact I'd go so far as to say the equaliser WAS offside !

Any more considered/sober observations ? 
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 09:08:04 »

A decent point in the end.
Need to get results against the teams around us in the second half of the season.
Next 3 home games are crucial. But we never seem to win winnable games even when doing ok.

As it stands looks like 4 from the bottom 8 for the drop plus the possibility of a mid table team having a bad run.
So how many points will be needed over the next 23 games?
Another 27 might do it, 29 or 30 to be sure.
Looking at the history it's a very tall order but not impossible.

If we do survive then those that have been working their way through John Sheridan themed bog rolls might need a change of heart and get the patios redone with a mosaic of the great man.
Relegation struggles can be memorable, but only if successful.
The great escape of 2000-01 is right up there alongside some of the promotions in terms of joyous relief.
Don't think that the STFC rollercoaster has safety belts so hold on tight.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:02:28 »

Last game of the season away to Wigan, winner stays up.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:11:43 »

Last game of the season away to Wigan, winner stays up.
I’d take that now.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:21:36 »

I haven't read back yet and I'm only going by what I saw on the ifollow match but I reckon there was more than a hint of offside for both of the Charlton goals. In fact I'd go so far as to say the equaliser WAS offside !

Any more considered/sober observations ? 

Both not offside and they scored a goal which was flagged, which looked perfectly legitimate to me
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:51:06 »

Yeah there is no way their second was offside.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #488 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:57:17 »

TBF Charlton should have had us dead and buried, Aneke missed a couple and hit the bar unmarked from 10 yards out and the miss by Washington though it was a tight angle he should have done better.

With a weaker keeper and a bit more luck on their side it could easily have finished 5-2.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 14:07:55 »

TBF Charlton should have had us dead and buried, Aneke missed a couple and hit the bar unmarked from 10 yards out and the miss by Washington though it was a tight angle he should have done better.

With a weaker keeper and a bit more luck on their side it could easily have finished 5-2.
Travers was my MOM.  

No great saves but his positivity on one and ones was crucial.  After 3 mins he got the faintest of touches when Aneke was clean through and at the end his outstretched leg (with Thompson's covering run) just pressurised Washington into going wide.  He just stands up so much better than Kovar and also managed a good block from Stockley.

On the downside, he could have tried a risky dive forward to punch away the assist for Aneke's goal (it was curling away) but he may reasonably have thought Freeman had Aneke covered.

Had he joined us from the outset I think we'd have had a few more points on the board.

Charlton were indeed unlucky and I think they were as talented an attacking team as we have faced all season (along perhaps with Blackpool who also gave us a second half battering)

« Last Edit: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 14:12:20 by RedRag » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Sunday, January 24, 2021, 15:23:58 »

In reverse fairness though PV, if you look at our efforts that hit the woodwork and some misses that should have been put away then in some ways it evens itself out. Could easily have been 5-2, 2-5 or 5-5. In some respects 2-2 would've been snapped off by us before kick-off so reflects two poorly defensive (and to some degree attacking) sides.

It somewhat reflects Town's "start well, finish poorly" ethos atm and that could just be down to confidence but I still remain strongly that it is also down to technical strategy...or a lack of. That doesn't really include subs either; we can all do that and if that was the case, we'd all be employed as football managers (not virtual ones Wink ).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:59:53 »

For any weirdos that are in to stats there is a great site called experimental361.com that do round ups of the expected goals (XG) probabilities for individual games and leagues. The numbers for Saturday suggest we were VERY lucky to get a draw.

The XG for the league so far suggests we should be 17th at the moment based on XG only

https://experimental361.com/2021/01/24/expected-goals-table-league-1-23-jan-2021/

Hopefully this gets used instead of PPG if the season gets curtailed.

* Screenshot 2021-01-25 125859.png (73.15 KB, 880x452 - viewed 88 times.)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 13:09:58 »

Without wishing to seem unkind, I wasn't that Impressed by J Smith either (of course, my opinion doesn't account for much).

I'd suggest given a fair run of games he might be able to show what he was capable off, but Sheridan does not like players with a bit of flair
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #493 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 13:14:23 »

I'd suggest given a fair run of games he might be able to show what he was capable off, but Sheridan does not like players with a bit of flair
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 13:16:54 »

For any weirdos that are in to stats there is a great site called experimental361.com that do round ups of the expected goals (XG) probabilities for individual games and leagues. The numbers for Saturday suggest we were VERY lucky to get a draw.

That was clear to the eye as well. How the commentator said we "played fantastically in the first half" I have no idea. We didn't touch the ball, mate!

Still, it was a good point and will be fascinating to see how we go against Plymouth tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: