Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Energy suppliers  (Read 7547 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:05:36 »

I've been with eon for the last 8 years and my 2 year fixed tariff is coming to an end so was wondering on sticking with one of the big six (British Gas cheapest on Martin Lewis site) or whether to go with a smaller company like Bulb or Octopus who are slightly cheaper with no buy out clause so any feedback would be much appreciated

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:09:17 »

Bulb and Octopus (and Ovo and Good Energy, who we've used in the past) all tend to have better customer service and prices than the big companies. I'd have no problem recommending any of them over EDF and the like, but look at the price comparisons as it's a pretty similar service whoever you're with.

If you do have a smart meter, check if it works with any supplier - ours didn't, which was annoying. We can still change supplier, just lose the smart features.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:10:24 »

Octopus for us.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:11:57 »

I'm with bulb.have been for 2 years now. Can leave when you like with no penalties and have 1 simple tarriff. Find them really good. If anyone wants 50 quid for signing up I can send you a link. I'd get 50 quid too as that's how it works with them and referrals.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:13:19 »

Bulb and Octopus (and Ovo and Good Energy, who we've used in the past) all tend to have better customer service and prices than the big companies. I'd have no problem recommending any of them over EDF and the like, but look at the price comparisons as it's a pretty similar service whoever you're with.

If you do have a smart meter, check if it works with any supplier - ours didn't, which was annoying. We can still change supplier, just lose the smart features.

Cheers Nemo, we don't have a smart meter although eon message every few weeks telling me I need to book it in. I don't think there's much between any of them regarding what they charge for gas & electricity although the standing charge does vary a little. Out of curiosity who are you with and do you tend to change very often?

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:15:28 »

I'm with bulb.have been for 2 years now. Can leave when you like with no penalties and have 1 simple tarriff. Find them really good. If anyone wants 50 quid for signing up I can send you a link. I'd get 50 quid too as that's how it works with them and referrals.

Bulb is one that I have been considering and nice to know that you've been happy with the customer service etc. If I go with them I will send you a PM
Cheers

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:17:16 »

Out of curiosity who are you with and do you tend to change very often?

We're with Good Energy now and have been for a few years, but we picked them on green energy rather than price, I'm sure it would have been possible to shave a few quid off with regular changes.

Perhaps you should try our ground sponsors Energy Check!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:18:39 »

We're with Good Energy now and have been for a few years, but we picked them on green energy rather than price, I'm sure it would have been possible to shave a few quid off with regular changes.

Perhaps you should try our ground sponsors Energy Check!

😁😁 I do want to get away from the big suppliers

So, give no fucks
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:36:26 »

Many of my friends use Bulb, I'm with Green Energy, and was with Octopus then Igloo before. Igloo raised their prices about 3 months in to the deal, so I did another search and found something cheaper, then switched easily and without any penalty costs. All found using Martin Lewis' MSE site. All been great. Went with Green because it was a fixed tariff and cheap too.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 19:44:03 »

Many of my friends use Bulb, I'm with Green Energy, and was with Octopus then Igloo before. Igloo raised their prices about 3 months in to the deal, so I did another search and found something cheaper, then switched easily and without any penalty costs. All found using Martin Lewis' MSE site. All been great. Went with Green because it was a fixed tariff and cheap too.

I'll  check them out and thanks for the info

So, give no fucks
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 20:04:34 »

Octopus are good. Joined them for cheap overnight EV charging and stayed when the car went back because it's still cheaper than most standard tariffs, we run the dishwasher and washing machine cheaply overnight now. Wouldn't be without the smart meter now. Octopus have some really innovative pricing methods. The link up with their investment arm means they use their own solar energy too. I think they're 100% renewable if that makes a difference to you, it's a nice to have for me.

I met one of the founders early last year. Nice guy.

Can give you a referral code to get a £50 discount.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 20:06:31 »

Octopus are good. Joined them for cheap overnight EV charging and stayed when the car went back because it's still cheaper than most standard tariffs, we run the dishwasher and washing machine cheaply overnight now. Wouldn't be without the smart meter now. Octopus have some really innovative pricing methods. The link up with their investment arm means they use their own solar energy too. I think they're 100% renewable if that makes a difference to you, it's a nice to have for me.

Hi Samdy many thanks and I will check them out

So, give no fucks
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 20:25:52 »

Switched to Octopus last November, their communications have been good and we are saving about £4per month compared to the fixed tariff deal I was on with EDF - although to be fair I had a decent sum to come back when that deal finished
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 20:43:05 »

I switched to Green Network Energy last July, decent saving and they’ve always been helpful when I’ve contacted them
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 20:55:22 »

Just renewing now, will stick with British Gas.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: