Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Phone Thread  (Read 15828 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 16:11:45 »

I would normally go into the shop and sort this out but obviously that's a non starter at the moment.

I presently have a Samsung Galaxy J3(2017) which is getting on a bit and I am due a 'free' upgrade as my contract is ending. I would be looking for a fairly new model of Samsung (could go elsewhere if necessary) which is broadly the same size any suggestions?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 16:22:55 »

I have an A50 and really like it
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 18:26:53 »

I have a Samsung M31 which has the high capacity battery and its brilliant, with fairly heavy use each charge lasts me 3 to 4 days easily.

https://www.samsung.com/in/smartphones/galaxy-m/galaxy-m31-blue-64gb-sm-m315fzbdins/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 20:59:49 »

Huawei VOG-LO9. With HC Battery, 128GB Mem. With very heavy use, I get 48hrs inc a fair amount of YouTube streaming, camera and video usage.

With moderate (or normal) usage for me, I would get similar in the range as PVs M31.

This is also with any extra strain it takes whilst working a bit harder than most as my device hotspots to three others nearly constantly. So you may see even better performance but not sure how much that comes into play. I'm lucky in the sense that I have a 4G+ (Basically O2's better middle ground getting close to 5G) repeater mast, about 100yards away from my property.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 05:22:39 »

Nokia 7.2

I'll never buy a flagship smartphone brand again.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 10:24:20 »

Samsung A series (I think they were J series previously) have always been good for me.  I would recommend going sim only though and buying the phone outright (under £200 on Amazon).  Long term much cheaper than phone on contract and massive range of Sim only deals out there

No one kills a thread like me....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 10:28:23 »

Thanks all, seem to have narrowed it down to A21s v A12, not idea what the difference is gonna be sticking a pin job I reckon!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 10:49:45 »

Thanks all, seem to have narrowed it down to A21s v A12, not idea what the difference is gonna be sticking a pin job I reckon!
If thats your choice its a no brainer A21s has more RAM making it faster opening and running apps, its a 64gb internal storage which is double the other for the sake of losing 5% processor speed which is neither here nor there with octa cores, otherwise the specs are pretty similar.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 10:53:11 »

Recently switched to a A21s.
Very good battery life and a decent enough phone.
Not had cause to try any of the 4 cameras yet but works well as an alarm clock.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 11:06:55 »

If thats your choice its a no brainer A21s has more RAM making it faster opening and running apps, its a 64gb internal storage which is double the other for the sake of losing 5% processor speed which is neither here nor there with octa cores, otherwise the specs are pretty similar.

The offers from Vodafone are...

A21 3gb RAM and 32 internal storage
v
A12 4gb RAM and 64 internal storage, hence I am more inclined to go A12.

FWIW I don't know why I get into all this, I only use the bloody thing for basic work phone and emails and pissing about in the evening!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 11:10:41 »

The offers from Vodafone are...

A21 3gb RAM and 32 internal storage
v
A12 4gb RAM and 64 internal storage, hence I am more inclined to go A12.

FWIW I don't know why I get into all this, I only use the bloody thing for basic work phone and emails and pissing about in the evening!
I think you are mistaken mate.

The specs are the other way around.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 11:23:22 »

I think you are mistaken mate.

The specs are the other way around.

Not according to the Yodafone website, sorry don't know how to do a screen dump.

Oh I don't bloody know!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 11:34:02 »

Smiley TBH I hate buying new mobiles as specs can change with each year upgrade etc.

If they say its 64gb and 4gb ram then obviously whichever has that on Vodaphone go with it as you would be silly not to.

Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 12:11:32 »

Just buy the cheapest phone you like Cheesy. I am like you - phone calls, texts, WhatsApp messages and a bit of web browsing.  Who needs a £1000 phone for that?

As for 4 fucking cameras??? WTF

No one kills a thread like me....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 12:20:34 »

Just buy the cheapest phone you like Cheesy. I am like you - phone calls, texts, WhatsApp messages and a bit of web browsing.  Who needs a £1000 phone for that?

As for 4 fucking cameras??? WTF
No you don't need all the bells and whistles but if you go uber cheap (100 quid or less) you may find they quite struggle to run even basic Android if they're underspecced, esp on CPU or memory (as opposed to storage) and that you might struggle to install more than a few apps if they've skimped on the storage. As specs improve, OS and app developers allow their code to bloat accordingly. The other thing I've found with cheapish phones from no-name manufacturers in the 100-200 quid range is that they sometimes don't last that long, the charging port being a particular point of weakness usually goes after 18 months to 2 years. Doesn't mean you need the latest and greatest 12 core behemoth as you say, but cut too many corners in the uber cheap range and it can be frustrating.

FWIW we got my Mum and Dad a couple of the new budget Motorolas at Christmas to replace their aging and creaking old handsets and they are delighted with them. They weren't a lot more than 100 quid.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: