Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Doncaster pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34323 times)
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 10:26:00 »

3 tactics where we went wrong yesterday..

Only pressed in our own half - need to be on the front foot and showing that we are willing to work hard and fight all over the pitch for the win.
Lack of movement on the break, in particular motion to DJ yesterday. He was awful and kept stumbling over Thompson’s runs forward.
Trying to play the offside trap again - we need to stop that because we’ve conceded at least 5 goals in the last 3 games for it. Either the linesman is blind as a bat and doesn’t see it or we get it wrong. Need to stop relying on it because it’s clearly not working for us!!

Change that and it would have been a different result yesterday!

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 10:37:36 »

I was hoping that on the back of the Ipswich game we could go on a little run of better results but hopes were dashed as soon as we conceded the first goal as we do not appear to have the necessary players to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and get “stuck in” as the old saying purports to, and we can grind out a result.

I am of the opinion that the standard of teams in this Division are all much of a muchness and anyone can beat anyone else but until we can sort out our defensive problems we are always likely to be on the back foot in every game and not certain that Mr Sheridan has enough about him to change our tactics and performances.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 11:00:47 »

Sheridan quoted in the Advertiser.:

"MANAGER John Sheridan believes it was difficult to tell which team was near the bottom and which was near the top after Swindon Town lost 2-1 at home to Doncaster Rovers on Saturday."

What shit, I've lost faith in him. Doncaster was a class above on the day.
OMG, somebody get the twat to Specsavers, he obviously isn't seeing what the rest of us are seeing.  Doncaster had more energy, more pace and were better organised than us.  We are so slow on the build up allowing teams to get back and defend in numbers, looked like a Luke side yesterday
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 11:07:59 »

One reason Doncaster were able to look solid in defence is that we gave them a goal after (a very even to quote JS) 5 minutes.
Hence for 85 they could sit deep wit( two banks of 4 ( it was 4 and 5 in the second half) knowing they could break quickly.
They also had quick and mobile attackers who pulled our defence around.
On a slippery pitch we should have pressed higher first half - Hope or T Smith are better equipped to do this than Pitman, but the attacking midfield players - Twine, DJ need to be part of that.
As others have said we carried very little goal threat and created few chances / forced their keeper into saves.
I think many of us got carried away by last week’s performance, possibly forgetting Ipswich hadn’t played for a while and their training ground was closed because of Covid.
51 points looks a long way off with this squad / team set up.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 20:12:24 »

We defend like teams who get relegated.  It's that simple.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 22:30:51 »

We defend like teams who get relegated.  It's that simple.
we are currently on course to conceed 94 goals this season. And it's nearly half way through...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 23:02:27 »

We conceded 100 in the prem. Look where we finished that season.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Sunday, January 17, 2021, 23:19:43 »

Our highest ever league finish! That's the spirit 4D. Just the positivity we all need  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 08:03:24 »

And that was against quality side's !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 09:30:38 »

Didn't watch and have not read back, assume we were shite again!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 09:40:06 »

Quote from: horlock07
Didn't watch and have not read back, assume we were shite again!

we actually weren't terrible at times

but we didn't look properly threatening until last 15. And we conceded 2 softish goals, 1 was a failed offside trap.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 11:33:24 »

A Donny fan on another forum I peruse said he was surprised at how little we pressed them. This seems to be the complete opposite of the Wellens tactic of pressing all over. I didn't watch on Saturday, surely playing against a side that plays out so much from the back you have to press them hard and high, surely?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #402 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 11:42:57 »

A Donny fan on another forum I peruse said he was surprised at how little we pressed them. This seems to be the complete opposite of the Wellens tactic of pressing all over. I didn't watch on Saturday, surely playing against a side that plays out so much from the back you have to press them hard and high, surely?

Yep, agree with this. It was the single biggest frustration on Saturday.

Shez set us up exactly the same way as at Ipswich away. Problem is, the two sides are completely different. Lazy or inept? Either way it was stupid. We were so negative and passive, which simply doesn't work for us at home at all.

Shez's record looking increasingly disastrous, and tactically we're so dismal and rigid. We seem inept at changing plan from game to game, or in game. Setting up the same for Donny at home as Ipswich was a really stupid plan, and predictable.

Over time we'll figure out what Ipswich was about, but my fear is that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Flashheart

« Reply #403 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 11:43:11 »

Wellens wasn't pressing much at all toward the end.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 11:48:57 »

Curran doesn't deserve the personal abuse he's getting on Twitter from some (a minority).

i don't think he was responsible for the defeat. he could have done better, but do could a lot of individuals.

He must have been shit hot in training to get ahead of Odimayo and even Grant need on what we've seen so far.
----+----+-------
in any case, what do we do with Sheridan?

in some respects he's inherited a team that isn't performing  and he's trying to bring in better players (well, someone is)

but he's won 3/13, the players don't seem to be responding to him, etc, etc.

stick or twist?  got to do it now if we are going to at all
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: