Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wigan pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 14696 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 15:54:38 »

Nice edit. See we're slowing coming to a very adult agreement here. Via two different angles admittedly but it's nice to see. I like progress Smiley

I'd say Swindon's landscape is a little more protected from elements than a more exposed place on the south coast of Wales, that Bristol Channel sucks up a good brunt of prevailing winds.

But aye, both of those games are off and we can do nowt about it, although Rovers and Forest Green aren't  Hmmm
The shade cast by the DRS stand is the problem at the CG and always has been, 2 thirds of the pitch would have been fine but that doesn’t matter. FGR and Rovers both have low stands and very open stadiums so shade isn’t a problem they suffer from.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 15:56:50 »

For the record Wellens takes criticism for the squad imbalance.
I would keep Jonny Smith this season as he can create. Definitely can see him delivering with more game time. I would sacrifice Stephens for another player / position, preferably an all round central midfielder than can add some physical bite.
Clearly need to strengthen upfront and have to be brutally honest Tyler Smith has been disappointing. Equally is it down to effort or tactically playing him up front as a loan striker which as everyone can see has not worked.
Hoping that January is a turning point, last chance to save the season.
Was desperate for us to play today and bounce back from that poor midweek performance.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 15:58:23 »

The shade cast by the DRS stand is the problem at the CG and always has been, 2 thirds of the pitch would have been fine but that doesn’t matter. FGR and Rovers both have low stands and very open stadiums so shade isn’t a problem they suffer from.

This unfortunately.
The rest of the pitch is fine, just the strip down the DR that I understand was not covered from Thursday.
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:11:31 »

For the record Wellens takes criticism for the squad imbalance.
I would keep Jonny Smith this season as he can create. Definitely can see him delivering with more game time. I would sacrifice Stephens for another player / position, preferably an all round central midfielder than can add some physical bite.
Clearly need to strengthen upfront and have to be brutally honest Tyler Smith has been disappointing. Equally is it down to effort or tactically playing him up front as a loan striker which as everyone can see has not worked.
Hoping that January is a turning point, last chance to save the season.
Was desperate for us to play today and bounce back from that poor midweek performance.

From what I have heard so far , strengthening will be very surprising....and maybe the cogs will all turn at the same time going forward... 👍
The club have been working very hard over the last 6 weeks engulfing a lot of matches & players.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:14:38 »

This unfortunately.
The rest of the pitch is fine, just the strip down the DR that I understand was not covered from Thursday.
Clues in the name of the stand, the ‘South’ stand, meaning the sun is almost exclusively behind it in the winter. If the pitch alignment was north North/South rather than East/West it wouldn’t be an issue as the Town End is so small.
Just one of those things, not worth the capital outlay to prevent what one postponement on average per season even if we had the money.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:18:40 »

From what I have heard so far , strengthening will be very surprising....and maybe the cogs will all turn at the same time going forward... 👍
The club have been working very hard over the last 6 weeks engulfing a lot of matches & players.

Do stick around pal. This is probably about as worse it gets (bar relegation/threatened liquidation periods) but regardless of how long Johnny is at Town, most of us here hope you stick around beyond that time.

I've heard a few things regarding potential recruitment but much of that is what some might say is guessable/predictable anyway. An interesting month ahead.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:24:22 »

Its going to be really interesting to see what happens. I think we have all been thinking we are stuck with the players we have as there is likely no money for replacements. But, maybe thats not the case, or maybe Sheridan knows exactly what he wants and where he can get it from at a price we can afford.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:26:51 »

Do stick around pal. This is probably about as worse it gets (bar relegation/threatened liquidation periods) but regardless of how long Johnny is at Town, most of us here hope you stick around beyond that time.
Totally agree. Lots of emotions. Not always a lot of thought - Nor often any understanding!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:27:36 »

Its going to be really interesting to see what happens. I think we have all been thinking we are stuck with the players we have as there is likely no money for replacements. But, maybe thats not the case, or maybe Sheridan knows exactly what he wants and where he can get it from at a price we can afford.

It's probs whoever Jewell has lined up/been working on in all honesty. There will be a list (similar with Wellens) and a case of Yes sir/No sir/Three bags full.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:28:51 »

Quote from: TheDukeOfBanbury

do you understand why the hell not?
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:33:32 »

I don't like mistruths in that thread even if that is a word... so he has played for 3 good loan teams prior to Swindon, and made a big difference in everyone, top scorer for Oldham last year, won promotion to Lg1 with Tranmere the previou year and scored 10 and made7 assists for Fylde Afc in the Conference the previous year to that. Sandy if you going to make a statement base it on the players real progress not just because he has not fitted into a Team that has struggled with injuries and gave away stupid goals through defensive mistakes.

So blame him, let him be your scapegoat even though Wellens never got the players he wanted, then gets head hunted for a fee .. and then injuries which have meant that virtually in no game has he fielded a starting 11 nor, I dont think he has had the same team selection for 2 consecutive games.

There is a lot of great supporters on here who know their football and players well, and understand the game !! so I say to them "Thank You" and great interacting with you, Jonny only knows how to give 100% and he will, and has done, in every game he has played in, but you need in play tactics to work also.

I am dropping off this forum now as I understand supporters frustrations can overflow , and I will always back my son 100% because he is an Honest player and looking at some of the comments just frustrate me as the players performances do the other way around... Personally, there is a really good core at Swindonand I don't believe they will drop down to Lg2 but the players coming in will strengthen in the areas needed.

RF, I understand your frustrations wholeheartedly and agree with a lot of what you say. For what it's worth, from what I've seen from your son, he's a good League One player and I consider him as a player I'd love for us to sign permanently to develop like what we've done with DJ. I don't think he's quite there in being a Championship standard player but very much has the ability to get there.

If there is any constructive criticism that I would give is that his end product isn't quite there, in specifics to his crossing. However, I am merely an observer within a short period of time and that you and he are more than aware of the areas he would like to improve on.

However, I think one thing that we all can agree on is that we want Johnny to do well, exceed expectations, develop and grow as the benefit to him is of benefit to Swindon Town. Please take some of the negative comments with a pinch of salt, we all have to put up with the most negative of fellow supporters (not a barbed comment towards anyone in particular).

It does suggest from you posting on here at the very least that Johnny isn't leaving Swindon at least until the end of the season which is reassuring we're not throwing the babies out with the bath water, in a figure of speech speak...

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Rapidflyer

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:34:05 »

👍👍 Cheers.... Pint looking forward to the next 2 weeks....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:34:13 »

Lots of emotions. Not always a lot of thought - Nor often any understanding!
If we didn't already have "80% football, 25% bollocks" that would be a fine slogan for the site, sums it up very well Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:44:38 »

If we didn't already have "80% football, 25% bollocks" that would be a fine slogan for the site, sums it up very well Smiley

You're a fine one to speak     Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, January 2, 2021, 16:45:47 »

You're a fine one to speak     Wink
Well, exactly, it summarises all of us extremely well
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: