Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are there too many football clubs?  (Read 6501 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:39:22 »

No one individual is worth quarter of a million quid a week, especially a sports person - any sport

Dont look at NBA player salaries, that will make you cry Wink
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:45:30 »

Dont look at NBA player salaries, that will make you cry Wink
Yup was about to say the same. Out of the top 100 paid athletes/sports stars NBA players take up 35 of those spots, with NFL players 31 and football players only 15.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:55:46 »

To run a professional football club, let’s say it could potentially cost £2million a year

35 people (players, coaches & commercial) earning average of £30k = £1mill
Then £1mill of overheads

You make £2mill on ticket sales alone with 25 home games with 5000 fans paying £16 per ticket

The number of clubs isn’t a problem, it’s just that everyone spends beyond their means

Panda Paws

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:59:34 »

So it's right some of them get in a week what a brain surgeon gets in a year if they're lucky plus most other businesses have a pay structure to adhere to and it's up to the individual to try and be one of the highest earners

Of course its right. It's not illegal, they're not doing anything wrong and they're worth as much as someone is willing to pay them.

Its bizarre comparing them to brain surgeons, or any other profession.

And I agree NMH. Can't think of much worse than us being a rich guys play thing or a vehicle for an agent like Wolves, and I much prefer non league football.

Doesn't mean it's wrong for people to earn the money a company deems appropriate though. Do traders earn too much too? VCs? Hedge funds?

What's too much? Should no one earn more than 100k a year? Or should it be directly proportional to the number of lives saved?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 16:05:08 »

Yup was about to say the same. Out of the top 100 paid athletes/sports stars NBA players take up 35 of those spots, with NFL players 31 and football players only 15.

Giannis Antekmounpo just signed a new long term deal.

$45m. Per season. For the next 5 years.

Biggest contract in NBA history
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 16:53:19 »

No, there isn’t too many football clubs. The reason why it’s only appearing like that is a massive under funding and an imbalanced funding culture within our footballing ecosystem. The bigger clubs and leagues  are strangling the lower leagues from existence.

With anything in the world, you either innovate or die, survival of the fittest death match. But the problem is bigger than football, it’s a capitalist mindset culture worldwide that’s the problem, which is then disproportionately spent.

It’s the same problem in Formula 1 where Mercedes win the top prize, earn more sponsorship, more R&D, slicker marketing then the historic teams like Williams are on the verge of going bankrupt.

Same problem in Team GB Olympic funding where if a sport that fails to meet expectation, their funding gets cut and the next generation of athletes

Extending beyond sport, it’s the same problem with the NHS where money is being disproportionately spent without investing in solving the root cause problems

Same mindset to my the Dollar, Sterling and Euro and all fiat currencies are fundamentally fucked. It’s only a matter of time before the next financial crisis bigger than we’ve ever seen.

Pour yourself a glass of whiskey and smile whilst you can and just understand we’re all fucked one way or another... Invest in Bitcoin and hedge against all nonsense in the world. £10k now, you’ll be able to buy the club and fund it to Premier League in 10-15years

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:19:15 »

BTC is at $28.5k do keep up.

Also I think you will find that Ferrari still earn the most thanks to some "historical agreement" which means they still get a bigger share regardless of where they finish.

With regards players in football (or any sport) being paid too much...I don't think it's the fact they get paid too much, they can't help that to a degree. I think it has a more ethical standing in that how much money does one individual actually need? If you earn more in a year than the GDP of several countries then I think even they might admit that they have much more than they need.

Pay them whatever ever they want but surely there is a point somewhere that says "ok, you definitely have more than enough to live comfortably". I would say, anything above more than reasonable means (and I know several high earners do this anyway) but possibly it should be compulsory after a certain threshold - let's say earning £5m+ then you also have to give back a percentage to your community/area projects. Maybe then a bit more of the wealth will be spread.

I know many will say "why should they, they have earnt it" and indeed they certainly have but I don't think any of them are in danger of choosing weather to have beens for tea, turn the heating off or whether they will have access to clean drinking water tomorrow.

It's not so much the figure paid but the ethics which surrounds these vasts sums. Which quite simply are more than enough.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:32:35 »

Reduce the wages of the players nobody derseves/needs £100,000 - £300,000+ per week  Roll Eyes
And they certainly wouldn't earn that sort of money in our world.  So, they would either have to agree to wage reductions or toddle of to Europe where they could earn that type of money. That would then give more opportunities to grass roots English footballers rather than flooding our leagues with overpaid foreign players, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:33:55 »

Pity you can't cap wages for each division - By all means pay stupid money in the Premier League, but cap Championship at £1k per game. L1 at £500 per game. L2 at £250. Conference at £100. Get rid of the power that agents have. No signing on fees or bonuses. All transfer monies go between clubs.

It would never work.
May not work but one of the best idea's yet.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:40:46 »

And they certainly wouldn't earn that sort of money in our world.  So, they would either have to agree to wage reductions or toddle of to Europe where they could earn that type of money. That would then give more opportunities to grass roots English footballers rather than flooding our leagues with overpaid foreign players, thus killing two birds with one stone.

I think the wage structure would have to be global (or thereabouts) otherwise you know where any UK talents would go....where the money is. Have to have a near on global consensus/agreement for it to work and that would likely be the reason why it never will work as I just can't see that happening. You'd end up with a massive breakaway of elites in a new structure and it wouldn't even be clubs. They'd be just kind of fantasy tournaments ran by bigwigs and huge sponsorship deals. That's another thing, a club could pay a player £5 a week but then have it written into a sponsorship deal that they earn £20m. It happens already aside from their club earnings anyway.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 18:50:51 »

May not work but one of the best idea's yet.

May not work??

A league 2 player would earn about 12k, fair to say it wouldn’t work
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 19:03:04 »

May not work??

And take a part time job to supplement their wages - Thus not having so much time to pee it up against a wall and/or get into trouble with the law.

It worked for many years.

It would also give massive incentive to do well and move up the pyramid.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 20:08:49 »

May not work??

Still more than the minimum wage !!!!!.  Cheesy Cheesy

In fact.more than some are worth, and we've had some of them. Even when we were in the premiership.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 20:11:04 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 20:53:14 »

BTC is at $28.5k do keep up.

Also I think you will find that Ferrari still earn the most thanks to some "historical agreement" which means they still get a bigger share regardless of where they finish.

With regards players in football (or any sport) being paid too much...I don't think it's the fact they get paid too much, they can't help that to a degree. I think it has a more ethical standing in that how much money does one individual actually need? If you earn more in a year than the GDP of several countries then I think even they might admit that they have much more than they need.

Pay them whatever ever they want but surely there is a point somewhere that says "ok, you definitely have more than enough to live comfortably". I would say, anything above more than reasonable means (and I know several high earners do this anyway) but possibly it should be compulsory after a certain threshold - let's say earning £5m+ then you also have to give back a percentage to your community/area projects. Maybe then a bit more of the wealth will be spread.

I know many will say "why should they, they have earnt it" and indeed they certainly have but I don't think any of them are in danger of choosing weather to have beens for tea, turn the heating off or whether they will have access to clean drinking water tomorrow.

It's not so much the figure paid but the ethics which surrounds these vasts sums. Which quite simply are more than enough.

Yep. Well aware of the BTC price right but 0.5 BTC bought now, in 10-15 years is estimated to be worth £100mil if the stock to flow ratio model is accurate. Do keep up Wink

The rest of your post I agree with Tongue sadly though, it’s not about living comfortable or not. It’s about ego, being the highest paid player, most valued player blah blah blah. Agents are the pricks that’s massively driving up the values so they can cash in and get rich too.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 21:41:28 »

Horseshit. No one individual should have their earnings capped. Do you want to cap actors, musicians, entrepreneurs etc? I'd rather the money in the game went to the players, it's not their fault some owners are irresponsible and spend beyond their means.

Clubs as a whole should have a salary cap.
Something similar to the NFL.

Of course that will never happen because it will cause too much upheaval.
Scraping youth teams (...and big clubs hoarding young players) making in University affiliates and drafting like the NFL bottom to top would be better for young players, again too different to the status quo for it to ever happen.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: