Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are there too many football clubs?  (Read 6500 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:00:08 »

We should regionalise the the bottom two tiers. Reduce costs, increase fan revenue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:01:14 »

Of course there is. Redistributed TV money, sponsorship money spread over fewer clubs. The EFL and the PFA have vast sums that haven’t seen the light of day during this pandemic.
You're vastly overestimating the central distribution (which is what you're talking about) and the EFL don't have vast sums sat in reserve. The TV revenue is worth about £120m per year but 80% of that goes to Championship clubs who get around £7m each. They already spend well over 100% of their total revenues (i.e. season tickets, TV money the whole nine yards) on wages, so even if you completely cut Leagues 1 and 2 adrift they'd only get another couple of million quid each. Which would be quickly swallowed up by more reckless spending.

What would make far more of a difference is a more equitable split of the money the EFL do have to distribute, so that Leagues 1 and 2 get more like 25% each. That would go a long way to ensuring the bottom two tiers are actually sustainable and force some of the Championship clubs to rein their current death spirals.

Not sure where you get the idea that the EFL have "vast sums" sitting in reserves, the last set of accounts published in June this year show reserves/cash at hand of just under £3m.

Also, a substantial bond paid by owners into a independently administered EFL fund to cover any future financial difficulties should wheedle out the prospective shyster owners a bit, too.
Now that is a much better idea.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:03:27 »

Should have said vast sums to distribute.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:06:54 »

Should have said vast sums to distribute.
OK so then you meant to say "The EFL and the PFA have vast sums that haven’t seen the light of day during this pandemic." But that's not true. The EFL have around £130-40m to distribute and they have distributed it. It's simply not true to say that the money "hasn't seen the light of day during this pandemic". It's been distributed and swallowed up in (mainly) player wages, debts, all the usual shit.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:11:36 »

I used to run U11, U13 and U15 cricket teams.

It got harder to field teams or to find teams to play against because all the kids went to Frocester, who had about a dozen teams!

Maybe the same will happen with pro-football. All the little teams fold and we have Liverpool 20th XI vs Man Utd 51st XI

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:19:41 »

I've heard this argument banded about by Karen Brady and other premier league bosses on the basis that "there is not enough income to support 92 teams".   

That's just utter bollox as there are dozens (possibly even 100 or more) players in the premier league earning more than £100k per week, so there is shit tonnes of money, the clubs just choose to spend it all on wages. 

Also which clubs would are they saying should disappear?  Presumably the smaller ones like Accrington, Harrogate etc.
Accrington won league 2 with a playing budget of £800k which wouldn't buy you 10 days of Gareth Bale!

So if 10 clubs of that size disappeared the big clubs wouldn't notice - but that would be roughly 5 home games less for each of the other lower league teams (10 games, 2 divs) actually reducing their revenue as gate receipts are by far their biggest income.   

Reducing the size of the lower leagues is therefore a perpetual downward cycle which reduces revenue to the lower leagues and increases the gap between the premier league and the rest of us.   It's another stupid idea borne out of self interest and the fuck you attitude of the premier league and should be fought against at all costs.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:27:22 »

Reduce the wages of the players nobody derseves/needs £100,000 - £300,000+ per week  Roll Eyes

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:37:55 »

Reduce the wages of the players nobody derseves/needs £100,000 - £300,000+ per week  Roll Eyes
Pity you can't cap wages for each division - By all means pay stupid money in the Premier League, but cap Championship at £1k per game. L1 at £500 per game. L2 at £250. Conference at £100. Get rid of the power that agents have. No signing on fees or bonuses. All transfer monies go between clubs.

It would never work.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:41:19 »

This. Some salaries are obscene
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:46:52 »

This. Some salaries are obscene

Greedy bast*rds they should put a cap on it

So, give no fucks
Panda Paws

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:59:41 »

Horseshit. No one individual should have their earnings capped. Do you want to cap actors, musicians, entrepreneurs etc? I'd rather the money in the game went to the players, it's not their fault some owners are irresponsible and spend beyond their means.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:02:42 »

No one individual is worth quarter of a million quid a week, especially a sports person - any sport
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:05:49 »

Horseshit. No one individual should have their earnings capped. Do you want to cap actors, musicians, entrepreneurs etc? I'd rather the money in the game went to the players, it's not their fault some owners are irresponsible and spend beyond their means.

So it's right some of them get in a week what a brain surgeon gets in a year if they're lucky plus most other businesses have a pay structure to adhere to and it's up to the individual to try and be one of the highest earners
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:07:51 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:17:56 »

I used to run U11, U13 and U15 cricket teams.

It got harder to field teams or to find teams to play against because all the kids went to Frocester, who had about a dozen teams!

Maybe the same will happen with pro-football. All the little teams fold and we have Liverpool 20th XI vs Man Utd 51st XI

I'd add the Women's teams too.  

They are branded, in the main, with the glam premiership club names - and their leagues get listed higher up on the BBC Sport website than Leagues 1 & 2.  It's all about sofa surfers with remotes choosing a brand they identify with (or "support"!), absorbing a few ads whilst watching a game in front of 100 hangers on and a couple of hundred friends and family. Real events attracting thousands, often tens of thousands have been overtaken by TV and branding.  Them's the facts.

Not knocking the women's game by the way.  Glad that we are helping sponsor one of our very own (even if ex-City  Wink ) and certainly enjoy the Women's internationals
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:20:46 by RedRag » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:23:11 »

Well, I liken it to me growing up and watching football. I used to enjoy watching Chalford Reserves. They were all committed, all enjoyed their football and were not paid! The standard wasn't brilliant, but it was enjoyable for them to play and me to watch!

I then enjoyed watching Swindon in the mid 80s. The standard wasn't great at first and much of the excitement was watching teams trying to do stuff that they didn't have the skill to do. Every now and again, it came off and it was awesome. Macaris teams were fit and tried hard. If they didn't try they disappeared.

I lost interest when we got up to the Premier. Losing Duncan Shearer to a rival so that they could stop us challenging them was despicable. Then losing Hoddle and Calderwood because of money was galling. But, for a year, every game was a cup final, eventhough most were horrible defeats. Then watching us tumble through the leagues because we couldn't compete financially was awful

I watched a couple of Premier games on Sky this year - What a load of utter dross. Pretty tippy-tappy football. You know who is going to win. It was dull and sterile.

I'm quite happy watching lower quality players trying hard against equally matches lower quality players. If those players want to improve their income by doing a 'proper job' in their spare time then thats ok by me!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: