Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are there too many football clubs?  (Read 6495 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:35:12 »

Will COVID take its toll on some clubs and, if so, is it a bad thing?

Forget about whether it may be STFC and your emotional attachment but is the only way to have a sustainable pyramid is to have a smaller pyramid?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:52:52 »

Are people from folded clubs going to financially support a different club?

IE Swindon goes bust, now we're all Oxford?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:59:01 »

Why would a smaller pyramid be more sustainable? That's why we have divisions.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:00:47 »

You could have leagues to cut down on travelling expenses

So, give no fucks

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:07:35 »

Why would a smaller pyramid be more sustainable? That's why we have divisions.
Whatever money that is sloshing around would be split with fewer clubs.

Can’t see fans switching allegiances - they’ll become plastic TV fans or not bother any more.

This is the end game for many. Hope it’s not us.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:09:12 »

I'm all for the Thames Valley Royals as long as that dosen't include STFC😁

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:27:17 »

The pyramid goes all the way from Liverpool down to Dog and Duck FC. The whole of Saturday football in England is within it. How do you propose making it smaller?

If 10 clubs go bust, 10 will move up the pyramid, and original 10 will have Phoenix clubs that enter lower down the pyramid.

We don’t need less clubs, we need more that have good strategic management/long-term thinking
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:36:54 »

The pyramid has been too top heavy for years, chop some big clubs and share the wealth (and plastic fans)

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:39:44 »

The pyramid goes all the way from Liverpool down to Dog and Duck FC. The whole of Saturday football in England is within it. How do you propose making it smaller?

If 10 clubs go bust, 10 will move up the pyramid, and original 10 will have Phoenix clubs that enter lower down the pyramid.

We don’t need less clubs, we need more that have good strategic management/long-term thinking
I meant the present 4 professional leagues. It’s easy to make it smaller. Those who go bust don’t get replaced. The old First Division used to be 24 clubs - now 20.

Clubs have had decades to implement strategic management/long-term thinking. The truth is a whole host of club owners have no intention of owning for the long term. They buy in, squeeze whatever money they can out of a club, and then drop it in the shit. Football at the lower end especially is all about the short term.

However things turn out at STFC, Power will be better off than when he bought the club.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:57:57 »

I think if a few clubs disappeared at the bottom end they would only be missed by their own fans.
Thats the problem though - if the professional leagues had natural wastage and decreased in size it wouldn’t help anyone because the fans would just stop going rather than adopt someone else.

Using us as an example, if we went bust Oxford wouldn’t see an increase in fan attendance.

You could argue there are too many teams. Just look at how many clubs are within a small distance of say Rochdale. Now for arguments sake half the clubs in that area had never existed Rochdale would have a bigger catchment area and in theory more fans thus higher income.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:24:20 »

I meant the present 4 professional leagues. It’s easy to make it smaller. Those who go bust don’t get replaced. The old First Division used to be 24 clubs - now 20.

Clubs have had decades to implement strategic management/long-term thinking. The truth is a whole host of club owners have no intention of owning for the long term. They buy in, squeeze whatever money they can out of a club, and then drop it in the shit. Football at the lower end especially is all about the short term.

However things turn out at STFC, Power will be better off than when he bought the club.

The Conference is a full-time professional league as well, so that’s 5 leagues

Much of Conf N/S is full time as well, so 6/7 pro leagues.

How do you propose preventing clubs from offering full-time contracts?
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:27:09 by Boeta » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:30:25 »

Whatever money that is sloshing around would be split with fewer clubs.

Can’t see fans switching allegiances - they’ll become plastic TV fans or not bother any more.
You've pointed out why your first sentence is wrong in your second sentence. There's very little money "sloshing around" in the Football League, the vast majority of income is from fans.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:31:57 »

Nothing is stopping clubs paying their players to be full time. Nothing will stop present non league clubs from getting promoted into any new pyramid. I’m just saying of 10-12 clubs go bust in the EFL don’t replace them. Make the leagues smaller - 20 per league - and continue with promotion/relegation as it is now.

Also, a substantial bond paid by owners into a independently administered EFL fund to cover any future financial difficulties should wheedle out the prospective shyster owners a bit, too.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:38:01 »

You've pointed out why your first sentence is wrong in your second sentence. There's very little money "sloshing around" in the Football League, the vast majority of income is from fans.
Of course there is. Redistributed TV money, sponsorship money spread over fewer clubs. The EFL and the PFA have vast sums that haven’t seen the light of day during this pandemic.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:55:52 »

Not sure that it is a good or bad thing. Its just a thing. Life goes on, it adapts, as will football.

(Note: That's my profound quote for the year)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: