Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The TEF Top STFC Players - nominations needed  (Read 10607 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 22:31:41 »

It's Christmas, I've got bugger all else to do and the current STFC reality is about as enjoyable as listening to Paul Hart explaining that he does in fact have three families in his Christmas bubble, even though it's obvious to all and sundry that he's sat on his own.

So, let's have a nice time being nostalgic about those fleeting times when STFC were competent and had players who were a joy to watch. I'm basically nicking the format and rules of the Guardian's annual top 100 footballers for a Swindon version, voted for by the good people (and to be honest, some of the bad ones) of the TEF.

You can vote for any STFC player, past or (less likely) present, based on their contribution to Town rather than their wider career. You can interpret it as the best players or your favourite, and vote for players you've seen or that you've only heard tell of from older fans, I don't really mind either way. You can vote for up to 40 players, in ranking order (so most points for the player you put 1st, least for the last)- if you can't think of that many that's totally fine, but at least ten or so would be good.

I'll set the deadline for votes at midday on Christmas Eve and do a countdown between Christmas and New Year.

Votes to me via PM please - by all means do use this thread for discussion or advocacy for the player you think deserves recognition.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 10:10:06 by Nemo » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 23:20:50 »

Good idea

Undecided whether to do my favourite players or the best players, would be 2 very different lists. Either way I’ll stick to players that I’ve actually seen in the flesh
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 11:09:05 »

I will have a compile of some great names and pop them through, unlikely many players post 2000 will get in it though TBH.

A few names to whet the whistle....

Chris Kamara
Steve White
Alan McLoughlin
Colin Calderwood
Alan Mayes
Ray McHale
Paul Rideout
Duncan Shearer
Dave Moss
Sir Donald of Rogers
Peter Eastoe

and many many more.

Do we name the players that we have actually seen in a Town short or do we include Harold Fleming and Harry Morris for instance?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 11:11:43 »

Do we name the players that we have actually seen in a Town short or do we include Harold Fleming and Harry Morris for instance?

Up to you really, I'm expecting it to have a significant recency bias but it's not a scientific exercise anyway, just a nice bit of Christmas nostalgia.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 11:12:50 »

Up to you really, I'm expecting it to have a significant recency bias but it's not a scientific exercise anyway, just a nice bit of Christmas nostalgia.
In which case then I will only include players I have seen in person Smiley nostalgia is not what it used to be any more!

kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:04:53 »

Players from my time covering the Town (1970ish onwards) that I have most enjoyed watching

GK's
Allan Digby Downsborough Foderingham

Full Backs
Bodin Caddis Dixon Kerslake Summerbee

Centre Halfs
Calderwood Gittens Ifil Taylor

Midfield
Ferry Foley Hazard Hoddle Horlock Jones Kamara Kasim Ling Luongo McHale McLoughlin Moncur Ndah

Wingers
Anderson Bamber Miller Moss Ritchie Rogers Walters

Centre Forwards
Austin Coyne Doyle Eastoe Fjortoft Mayes Parkin Rideout Shearer White
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:22:28 »

I agree with almost all of those Kirky.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:25:47 »

Most of the ones I can think of have been mentioned:

GK's
Digby Foderingham

Full Backs
Bodin King Caddis Kerslake Summerbee Ramsay Hockaday

Centre Halfs
Calderwood Gittens Taylor Borrows Kilcline Parkin

Midfield
Ferry Foley Hazard Hoddle Kamara Kasim Ling McLoughlin Moncur

Wingers
Bamber Barnes Ritchie Walters

Centre Forwards
Austin Doyle Fjortoft Parkin Rideout Shearer White Quinn Hay Chief

But if you add loan players then there are oodles that are in or went to the Premier League

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:54:44 »

But if you add loan players then there are oodles that are in or went to the Premier League

Loan players are fine as long as you're picking them for Swindon achievements - I think there's a reasonable case for Doyle, Stephens, Danny Ward etc. but not for Given or Milner types.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:57:08 »

No one's yet mentioned one that's in my top five. Ian Culverhouse was smooth as silk, oozed class.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 17:52:55 »

I go back to 1967, so to those named I would add some from that era

Full backs Thomas and Trollope
Centre backs Harland and Burrows

plus Ian Miller and Brian Williams from the late 70s (Midfield/wingers)

Charlie Henry from the Macari era
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 20:54:13 »

I can’t believe we’ve had multiple shouts for Doyle and not one for Simon Cox yet.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 21:00:41 »

I can’t believe we’ve had multiple shouts for Doyle and not one for Simon Cox yet.

Definitely my favourite of the three big strikers of the 2000s. Scored great goals and scored a lot of goals too, in some fairly mediocre Town sides.

Lots of strikers in the votes I've had so far, perhaps unsurprisingly. I'll be over here voting for goalkeepers if you need me...

Remember to PM in your 10-40 for the final count as well as the chat here folks!
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 21:40:30 »

Don Rogers I saw as a very small boy but he got me hooked on STFC and I’ve been lucky to meet him a few times. Glenn Hoddle was a joy to watch and a really nice guy. David Moss was a player that got you to you feet when he had the ball and I’ll never forget Alan McCormacks goal against Northampton. Fuck me we’ve had some good players
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 22:20:17 »

Only eleven players unanimous inclusions so far, very surprised by the amount of variety. Will make the countdown fun though!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: